Is 30 days too long to wait for a refund on a purchase?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by False Start, Jul 31, 2020 at 3:49 PM.

1. False Start

False Start TDPRI Member

I purchased an EVH hard shell case from Pro Audio Star and it arrived severely damaged. (Shame on Eddie for selling out and putting his name on such a cheap product. But that’s a story for another day.) I provided photos of the damage to Pro Audio Star and they emailed me a return shipping label a few days later. I did not receive a refund to my cc account until 30 days after FedEx tracking shows they received the return. I emailed them once a week to get the status of my return. I’ve never had any other vendor take this long to refund a return. Is 30 days too long?

rangercaster, Steve Holt and emisilly like this.
  2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

Not really in these days and times.

Dismalhead and False Start like this.
  3. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, absolutely.

But if you finally got the return I’d let it go.

if I read your post wrong and you’re still waiting, I’d raise hell.

False Start, emisilly and Henley like this.
  4. Henley

Henley TDPRI Member

Maybe two weeks, but 30 days is off the charts imo, excluding any issues with the refund itself.

This was pre-SARS I might add.

False Start likes this.
  5. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Meister

Covid-19

johmica likes this.
  6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

My Insurance broker wrote to me last week to say that having reviewed the advice that they had given over the period 2012-17, they felt that they could have given better advice. They offered compensation with interest at 8%. When I called to accept the offer I was told it would take up to 20 working days to process the cheque. I'm happy. 20 days to decide what to spend it on.

If I had returned a piece of faulty gear, I might expect to see 10 or even 20 days in the terms, but would hope to see the cash in my account much quicker. Any business hoping to retain customers would surely doing all they could to keep them happy.

Henley and False Start like this.
  7. superbadj

I was given this as a reason recently and frankly...it doesn't really make sense. Banks are open and functioning just fine, so is online banking, etc.

I had ordered a pizza oven that cost around $500. It was a pre-order, and when I ordered the ship date said about 6 weeks out from that point. After 4 of those 6 weeks elapsed, the ship time had slid back two weeks further (now 8 weeks out from the order date). At week 5, it slid another week.

I called and decided to cancel the pre-order since I had waited 5 weeks and now they were saying it was still going to be another 4 weeks or so. Nah, just cancel I said. Plus I had lost a project at work (self-employed) due to C19 and decided I shouldn't spend the money on something I didn't really need (but wanted).

Then they told me that because of C19, it would take as much as 4-6 weeks to process the refund.

I said that was unacceptable, they already had had my money in-hand for more than a month....I wanted it back now.

Honestly a week would have been fine, but 4-6 weeks for a refund? Nope.

I talked to a supervisor and said that this process was not going to happen like that, and if it did I would never be a customer of this company. While I understood the order delay (they're at the mercy of manufacturing, which was understandably delayed due to C19) processing the refund would take about 2 minutes via a computer.

They said they'd do what they could.

I got the refund the next day. I sent a nice note thanking them for the quick response.

Fast forward a few weeks and I'm with family, and they surprised me with a pre-order for that same pizza oven, fully paid.

:):) now I just gotta wait!

Collin D Plonker and False Start like this.
  8. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

Some things take a little longer these days, especially with the increased volume of shipping.

You got your refund - move on.

False Start likes this.
  9. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Project yourself back to this time last year. Consider how long transactions took then, and multiply by three.

That is pretty much the norm today.

False Start likes this.
  10. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

I just got a refund back from Patagonia and it took 3 months!

Some vendors are understaffed and overwhelmed right now so some may take longer than others.

REI is a good example. They're backlogged with returns. They'll acknowledge that they received an item that was shipped back to them for a return, but said because they've cut staffing it's taking a lot longer for them to get to all the returned items.

False Start likes this.
  11. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

I ordered a Nord Electro 6D 73 keyboard from Pro Audio Star on Reverb and it arrived damaged this last Tuesday. I provided photos of the damage to them and they sent me a return shipping label just like you did. The keyboard was shipped back yesterday. FedEx tracking indicates they should receive it on 8/4.

The thing is though, I still want the keyboard and they're being very unclear as to whether they're going to ship a replacement to me or refund my money. One person seems to indicate that they're going to replace the keyboard and then another acts like they're going to refund my money. This does not give me confidence about this going forward. It seems like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Now that I've had some time to research them on BBB and other places I see that there are quite a few complaints about them either shipping damaged goods and/or taking an inordinate amount of time to process a return.

I have a feeling that I'm about to get on a roller coaster here and I'm thinking that this is going to suck royally.

False Start likes this.
  12. Henley

Henley TDPRI Member

I wonder how much in interest all these companies make while the total sum of all monies owed to others is in limbo.

False Start likes this.
  13. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

It might not be as much as you might think, if any, given that they have similar problems of their own on their payables side with the manufactures and distributors. It’s a mess out there right now...best to just hang out on TDPRI. :)

False Start likes this.
  14. superbadj

Just for fairness, I'll post a very opposite experience with ProAudioStar.

I ordered a Focusrite audio interface from them, as it was at a great price and I needed to upgrade mine.

I got it in, and no ****, like 1 day later, before I even opened up the box, Focusrite debuted a new generation of the same audio interfaces with a lot of upgrades.

I talked to ProAudioStar about returning the one I had and getting the new one, but they weren't going to get the new ones for like two months. A few other retailers were getting them in much earlier.

They were great to deal with. They let me return the one I got, and even paid for the return, knowing that I was going to order the newer generation from another retailer because I didn't want to wait.

I'd like to give them business soon because they did super right by me.

False Start likes this.
  15. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

I'm not saying they've done anything intentionally underhanded. It just seems that it is more incompetence than any real desire to do ill. At this point there shouldn't be any doubt as to whether I'm going to get a replacement or a refund, but yet there it is.

The keyboard I received was literally falling out of the box when it arrived. One end of the box wasn't taped at all; it was just jammed in. It's a wonder that it didn't get more damaged than it did. The shipping department definitely dropped the ball here.

The case on a Nord Electro is pretty heavy gauge metal. It was bent very noticeably near the end of the bass side so it had to take a pretty good hit. Also, there was something that was rattling around inside the case that had broken off. The keyboard did work but I couldn't tell exactly what it was broken in there. I wasn't going to take any chances.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but so far it's not looking good. If they come through, I'll update you all here and eat my share of crow.

False Start likes this.
  16. False Start

False Start TDPRI Member

I'm thinking they might have cash flow problems. It seemed like they were stalling as much as possible. I contacted my credit card and they initiated an inquiry. I was told it could take two billing cycles. They ship very fast, I've always gotten my purchases within 48 hours via FedEx. But I will never do business with them again. If youto see your refund any sooner than 30days, consider yourself lucky. Good luck.

17. False Start

False Start TDPRI Member

Yes, please post an update. Good luck.

18. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

As it stands right now they are going to ship a replacement keyboard once they "process" the return. I shipped it back to them on Friday and it arrived at their location this afternoon. I will give them a couple of days to get it unpacked and inspected before I start bugging them to ship my replacement. I'll update the thread when I know more.

19. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a bench for my backyard back in April. Arrived broken, took about two months to get the return set up and get my money back. I think it's just a sign of the times.

False Start likes this.
  20. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I consider myself lucky if I ever get a refund ...

30 to 60 days is better than nothing..

Jus sayin ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.