Is 2016 truly the worst year for celebrity deaths?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Dec 27, 2016.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

I just watched Singin' In The Rain...what a fabulous movie! I've seen the most famous scenes many times, but not sure if I'd ever seen the whole thing. If I did, I was much younger and did not appreciate it as much. So much talent back in those days, they did it all, it seems.

P Thought likes this.
  2. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's

Yes, there are stone cold realists and they have a point too, but that's not the issue with most critics of these goofy threads. It's not that we aren't touched by certain individuals that die, most of us are. Greg Lake, that meant something to me. George Michael, not so much, but I respect that others were saddened.

The silly thing is the belief that this year is some kind of anomaly. While it might represent an uptick to this demographic, you'd better get used to it. It is the new normal. Celebrities that many on this board grew up with are getting older. People die when they get older, but go ahead and blame 2016 if you really think you're (not you personally) on to something.

ac15 likes this.
  3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, I just I hope I get to live longer than Greg Lake, Prince, Bowie, Glenn Frey, Carrie Fisher, George Michael, and Alan Rickman.

4. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

The thing that gets me is a lot of them weren't that old though. George Michael was 53, Prince was 57, Carrie Fisher 60, Phife Dawg (Tribe Called Quest) was only 45. These aren't ages you usually think of millionaires dying at. Hell, all of these people were around the same age as my parents, and I usually think of them having at least a couple of decades left.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Celebs dying at 'untimely' middle age isn't a new thing. Prince was a painkiller addict, Michael had numerous health and drug issues. Bowie didn't die that young for a lifelong chainsmoker. It's who they are that hits people.

Baby boomers heroes are getting really old. They'll drop off a few big names every year. Gen X's heroes are getting in that zone too. Then you'll have the early tragic exits like Whitney Houston and her daughter, Robin Williams etc.

I don't see next year being any different. Any celeb over 70 is potentially a stat in the next few years.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

WWOZ did an honor roll of passed rhythm and blues players (writers, producers, etc.) and the number of people who passed this year from 50s music takes your breath away. Those guys are not necessarily celebrities in fact many of you here won't recognize their voices or songs or compositions at all. This is just one of those years when people run out of fight and the dust overtakes them. And the life that remains hibernates and a few survivors start something new eventually.

Meanwhile even though many people were run out of their homes in 2016 in nearby parts of Louisiana (flooding) and some folks moved to New Orleans, even more people moved away. I don't think you can maintain a culture based on music if you lose musicians this much faster than you can mint new ones.

7. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's

People dying in their 40s and 50s is always a little bit sadder, whether short-changed in life or short-changing themselves. I look at the local obits most every day, though, and I can tell you plenty of the 'too young' are in there also. This is not some celeb phenomena.

8. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

We go to my father in laws memorial every holiday. The number of plaques, often with pictures, commemorating people under 40, 30 and kids, is heartbreaking, new ones turn up all the time. And no one other than their families knows who they are.

9. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

John Glenn. Yup, I forgot, too.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, I am absolutely one of those guys who likes to have their cake and eat it too!

william tele likes this.
  11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I know it's a fine way to say "I want it both ways", but what in the hell does it actually mean? How the %*#! can you eat a piece of cake if you don't already HAVE it?

Same people who thought that *&$% up probably think you can't have any pudding unless you eat your meat...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

I'm not being judgmental, just saying, many of the people on your list had made drug and lifestyle choice that increased the risk of death. I'm not condemning their choices, you takes your chances, and pays the price. Guys that jump out of airplanes HOPE their chute opens just like guys who take chances with their lifestyle in general HOPE nothing goes wrong. Some are tough, and can handle it, some aren't so tough. I've known guys who abused their bodies well into their 70s, and 80s, but I don't think that's normal.

Another thing comes to mind. I knew a whole family where the children only lived to about fifty, to fifty two years of age. My own son live fifty two years. Until he was diagnosed with cancer her was the picture of health, and was as strong physically as any man I've ever known. I think there's a lot medical science doesn't know about what makes for longevity. Almost all of my uncles and my grandpa died when they were fifty six years of age. I have a long, long time passed their days. Why? I haven't a clue.

13. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

The "have" part means "keep." You can't keep your cake and also eat it. :)

william tele likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

What's that ese? I couldn't hear you I was chomping on this piece of pie I stole offa the neighbors window sill. Mmmm, good and warm too!

william tele likes this.
  15. william tele

So...they didn't have access to the word "keep" when they thought up these gems?:)

16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

It's actually "eat your cake and have it too", I think. Makes more sense that way.

"Wolde ye bothe eate your cake, and haue your cake?"--John Heywood, 1562 A Dialogue Conteynyng Prouerbes and Epigrammes

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  17. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

According to the Peanuts comic strip, it's "have your cake and eat it, too." I remember a whole series of daily strips back in the 60s or 70s where Charles Schulz was making fun of this expression by having Snoopy et al make fun of it. Amazing where you learn things AND what sticks with you, isn't it?

18. william tele

I wonder... what was the worst year for humans coming up with non intuitive analogies, innuendos and metaphors?

19. Jupiter

The answer is always, "this year".

william tele likes this.
  20. Jupiter

Sorry, I was googling my citation while you posted...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.