1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is 15 watts enough?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by beexter, Jul 1, 2013.

1. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Most of them have their hearing aids off at that time of night anyway.

2. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Twice.

The first time they were in NYC to record Disraeli Gears and dragged their gear over to the club. (Or so I found out long after the fact.) 100 watt stacks. According to the bios, they actually recorded the album with that gear, much to Tom Dowd's dismay.

At the Civic Center I remember single 100 w stacks for each, but it could have been two apiece. The only other thing I remember - pertinent to this discussion - was that the PA system sucked and Bruce's mic went out right in the middle of Traintime, his harmonica solo song. He smashed it to the ground and used Clapton's mic to finish the song. Such were conditions back then.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sometimes 15 watts is plenty, sometimes it's not even close to adequate. Different situations require different amounts of power, and one size DOES NOT fit all.

Now, everybody quit poo-pooing about it and do what works for you. There's nothing worse than a group of grown men arguing about whether or not size matters. :D

4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I was kinda hoping for a 16 watt amp..maybe one day ....

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All you need is a 15 watt amp that goes to eleven. That way you'll be one louder than everybody else.

6. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

By all means. Please feel free to show them to us.

7. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Tele-Holic

Wow... This thread is just filled with assumptions.

Mic'd stages = big venues: If you're playing a big venue then, yes, everything is almost certainly mic'd. (There are exceptions to even this rule. I'll let you figure out what they are...) If you're playing a stage where everything is mic'd, that says nothing about the size of the venue.

Amp of size X necessary to keep up with a drummer: Depends on the drummer. Also depends on the amp; see next.

Wattage is a measure of volume: Not even close. Speaker efficiency (including size and number of speakers and cabinet construction) and amp EQ have more of an impact upon perceived volume that does wattage. Doubt that? Put a vintage Silvertone amp next to a vintage Fender of the same rated power...

8. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aside from speaker efficiency, there is a HUGE difference in volume and headroom between amps marketed as 15 watt amps - and between 2 EL84 amps. A Matchless or Bad Cat 15 watt amp is nearly as loud as a Vox AC30, and WAY louder than an AC15, or a 5E3 or a Deluxe Reverb (both of which have 6v6s of course, but theoretically a similar power range). Pretty much every solid state 15 watt amp I've experienced has been about the volume level of a 3-5 watt tube amp like a Champ. Circuit design, type of tone stack, whether or not it's cathode biased, size and makeup of power and output transformers, whether there's negative feedback or not, result in vastly different volume and headroom levels between "15 watt 2-EL84 amps" , and more efficient speakers (Vintage 30, G12H, Celestion Blue) are much louder than less efficient ones (Greenbacks for instance).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  9. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

These are not assumptions, they are facts based on opinions...:rolleyes: :lol:

One thing I do know..if anyone here has NEVER played a gig, any gig, thru a 50 watt Marshall head and a 4x12 cabinet and only plays thru a small 1 x10 or 1x12 amp, 15 or 22 watts...and argues the case...they have no clue what the sonic differences are...and I am not talking about volume...Those of us that have, and perhaps still do...know it ain't about volume...there's more to life than a 25 pound amp thats lighter than a Twin Reverb...sometimes the end result becomes the goal...

Now I'm not saying run out and grab a 4x12 / 50 watter...because obviously size and space matter...but I am saying if you have never used one on a gig you have no clue what you are arguing against...:!: ( other than physical size and weight )

Not all that long ago I did a show where there were several bands on the bill in a small room..I carried in my Twin..a guy says to me..you don't need that amp here, it's overkill..I said..I am playing Pedal Steel..he said..yes..you're right, you need that amp...I followed by saying, I also play Telecaster, no picks and no pedals...he laughed and said..you really need that amp !

assumptions...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  10. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Last night was a loud ass gig. I used the little 5 watt 1-12 amp. It works OK but the setup is unorthodox. Here is a picture I took before the gig after setting up. The amp points backwards towards my face.

[​IMG]

11. burtwangcaster

burtwangcaster Tele-Holic

Candlestick Park:)

12. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

Back in the 80's I remember playing a gig with my Marshall silver jubilee 50 watt half stack. The other guitarist had a Boogie Mark III on a Carvin 4X12 cab. Between him and the cymbals I could not hear myself. I went out the next day in a panic and bought a 100 watt JCM800 head. So yeah, I played loud and get it.

Times have changed - My music styles have changed - I'm older.:(

My last two gigs with my DRRI: miced on 2 1/4 and unmiced on 3 1/2. On the last two songs of the first set at the unmiced gig I tried to turn up to 4 but at the start of the second set I was back down after being told I was too loud. We have a female vocalist with decent range but I did not need more amp. I actually thought about using ear plugs on the next gig so my hearing stays more consistent through out the night.

Everybody has their thing though.:)

13. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

This amp is small in footprint(but a heavy mofo). It'll blow the doors off any honky tonk. And was my only amp back in the days of my youth. Played everything from Merle to BOC on it.
    [​IMG]

14. keithb7

keithb7 Poster Extraordinaire

One time my buddie was boing sound for band at a local decent sized bar. I tagged along and worked lights. I knew crap was gonna get crazy when I saw 2 double stack 100W amps on stage. The kick drum was a huge marching band drum. You know those 5 ft high ones you actually wear? The kit was built around it. Second set in my friend grabs the two guitar silders on the board. (Amps were mic'd). Slides them full up and full back down to zero a couple of times in the middle of a song. No difference at all. The stage volume was completely out of the stratosphere. The huge kick was just pounding. The signer by this point was at the back of the room sitting at the bar singing into his cordless mic. He couldn't handle the volumes, nor could he hear himself.

15W aint gonna cut it that night.

15. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

This is why I own an AC15 and a JCM800 2204 with a JCM800 4x12. :)

16. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

5 watts in a big club with decent cleans.

[​IMG]

17. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Holic

A little something for the low watt crowd to consider, you’re not necessarily saving your hearing with a small amp. The rule of thumb for hearing damage is any volume louder than normal conversation level causes damage.

18. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Yes but the length of time you can listen before hearing damage is different

19. Gerry Lambe

Gerry Lambe TDPRI Member

I have a Superchamp XD x 2, and am thinking of putting it through a 4 x 10 Marshall cab at 8ohms do you think this will work?
    Gerry

20. StarliteDeVille

StarliteDeVille Tele-Meister

I think the hearing of the guitarist is what is being overlooked. What seems too loud to me might be inaudible to someone else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.