1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.
  1. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I'd like to hear where folks are getting their favourite IRs. I use tube amp heads into a loadbox, so they only make up a portion, albeit crucial, part of my sound. My amps are a VOX Night Train 15h G2 and an Orange Rocker 15 Terror.

My favourite IRs for both of these are from OwnHammer. Their Orange 2x12 V30/GB is perfect for everything I want to rock out on. The AC30 cab sim is lovely with cleans, and to my surprise, sound great with the raunch.

Others that I like to mess around with are from ML Sound Labs. Their Zila cab pack has excellent IRs for over the top, high gain madness. However, their self-proclaimed 'Best IR In The World' is also a favourite for both clean and dirt applications.

I have the OwnHammer Bassman pack, but I'm not feeling it's the right cab sim for my amps. I'm looking for a Marshall 4x10, which I think will be fun for punchy, heavy riffing. Any recommendations are appreciated, thanks!

Have you gone down this rabbit hole? Having a bunch of IR files is enough to keep me quite busy. And while I can't say they are accurately mimicking the real deal, they do each have their own characteristics. Lotta fun with this.

2. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

All of mine are from Ownhammer. I’m also used to the way they name the files. I always go straight for the OH-1 mixes which is a 57 and 121. Since I’ve got a Two Notes Captor, I’ve messed around a little with Wall of Sound, but I just go straight for the Ownhammer stuff for recording. I’ve thought about trying others, but haven’t.

northernguitar likes this.
  3. northernguitar

The Two Notes cabs do sound good. My gripe is they only work on TN devices and I can't load them into my Mooer Radar. I also appreciate that the OwnHammer IRs have all the mics and mic positions 'baked in' to the file. I'd rather not mess around with settings and just sample them until I find the right one. I like the '1' mixes as well as they tend to be the brighter ones. I find they can get too dark, very quickly.

swervinbob likes this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The main ones I use are the Ownhammer 412 MRCB with the EVM speakers and York Audio PRNC 110 OX Lite and MTCH 212 ESD-V2.

That is one of the things I like about the Hotone Binary IR Cab vs the Mooer Radar, the software design to handle this is a lot better on the Hotone. But, I do usually turn this off when I'm using third party IRs.

5. northernguitar

The Mooer is fine for me. I don't like the rotary knob and do worry it will one day bite the dust. It already skips channels if I spin it too fast. However, all I do with it is load third party IRs into it and it sound as good as using the Wall Of Sound in my DAW. To test them out, I just load them up in the Wall Of Sound with all other features turned off and cycle through until I hit upon one I like. Then I just slot them into the Radar and I'm good to go.

6. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

To offer a different solution I'll suggest looking at the Celestion IR's. (celestionplus.com)
    Of course... you need to like Celestion Speakers (which I do) for this to be any use. They don't offer a nice Jensen loaded Deluxe cab ;)

Aside from sounding great... what I like about the Celestion IR's is the simplicity, and organization. Instead of thousands of options covering every possible inch of mic placement and combination they provide a 6 or 7 for each mic, and a couple nice mic combo's. For anyone that suffers from "option paralysis" these packs are a great choice.

I picked up a 5 pack "Pick and Mix"... and chose 3 cabinets I love in real life, and a couple experiments.

7. northernguitar

Cool. I went looking for my 4x10 cab on the Celestion site, but didn't find it.

Edit. Just checking them out, I obviously didn't look hard enough.

codamedia likes this.
  8. northernguitar

Sweet! I just downloaded the V10 4x10 pack. And, the forecast is calling for three days of rain! Perfect time to mess around with a new 'cab'. :)

codamedia likes this.
  9. bgmacaw

My Radar got destroyed in a lighting strike power surge. I replaced it with the Hotone mainly due to the better looking software and larger pedal without everything on that rotary dial. However, I'd probably still be using the Radar if it hadn't been wiped out by that surge.

10. northernguitar

I don’t think I trust those rotary dials over the long run. I have an old Line 6 POD XT LIVE, and the dial is acting up, making it difficult to dial in the desired settings. Since I don’t tweak the third party IRs I prefer, I’m only using the dial to change cabs. Hopefully, that’ll get me some extended life out of it.

FWIW, the Mooer IRs all sound like poop when compared to OwnHammer and ML Sound Labs.

bgmacaw likes this.
  11. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

I like Celestions.
    I was using the OH free pack when I got Celestion V30s and it was a game changer to me.

codamedia and northernguitar like this.
  12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

No.

Like plug-ins, it's just another truckload of items to obsess over, spend more $$$$ on, and waste time fiddling with than making music.

That approach works for me. Do what works for you.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Professional goofball on a closed course. Your own mileage may vary. Batteries not included.

13. northernguitar

I tend to agree. Though I have a number of files, I just find what I like and then stick to it.

14. bgmacaw

The Hotone stock IR's are better than the Mooer ones but the Ownhammer and York Audio ones are still better, probably due to multi-mics.

15. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

Sounds like you might want to try the Friedman IRs from York Audio. Lots of people who love Marshall cabs rave about them... I'm more of a Deluxe Reverb kinda guy.

16. northernguitar

I tried to love this IR and make it work for me. No dice. It’s not punchy and musical. Starved for mids. Kind of lifeless and weak. Not sure if I just wouldn’t like a Marshall 4x10. FWIW, I greatly prefer the OwnHammer Bassman 4x10 IRs for my tube amp/loadbox rig. YMMV.

17. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry I led you astray :cry:

I have no experience with that IR, or that "real life" cab/speaker setup. "Starved for mids" would drive me crazy... I don't blame you for giving up on it if that's how it is responding. I just listened to the "samples" on the site... and yeah, the V 4x10 sounds pretty thin... I much preferred the Creamback 4x10 sample.

18. northernguitar

Not at all! I selected this cab because I have a few IRs based on the V30. I reckoned I'd get something similar, but with more punch. Just not so, and I chalk it up to user ignorance. My bass player can load these up in his Helix and I think they might sound great with his rig.

As well, I DO have many IRs that fit the bill, so I am not starved for choices. That is the neat thing about IRs; they're relatively cheap, and give me an opportunity to hear how many cabs (most of which aren't affordable to me) sound with my amps. Right now, I'm so stoked with the OwnHammer AC30 Blue, I'm tempted to try out an alnico speaker.

codamedia likes this.
  19. northernguitar

They have a Mesa 2x12 sampler that I’m gonna try first.

scout2112 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.