IronButt Endurance Ride Tonight

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Freejack, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Jeanne and I will be departing Fay Myers in Denver around 2am in the morning with The Colorado Freewheelers in an attempt to complete 1,000 miles on the motorcycle in less than 24 hours.

The ride heads up to Laramie Wy, then to Walden, Fairplay, Craig, Rifle, Gunnison, Saguache, Monte Vista, Walsenburg, and finally back to Fay Myers.

In the past I've completed it in 19 hours, 16 hours, and 15 hours on the Hayabusa with no passenger. This time it's the Concours and Jeanne.

It is an Endurance ride, but it's fun as well. :D

Carl

troy2003, Jakedog and Stubee like this.
  2. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I imagine it would be easier and more comfortable on a sport/tourer, but I think the most I have ever done is about 500 in a single day, maybe a bit more on my Daytona. That sounds fun, but also painful and tiring. Lol. Good luck and ride safe!

3. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

masochist!

4. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Be safe you two crazy kids!!

I can see Carl being ok, able to shift around a little, but poor Jeanne sitting in the back, unable to hardly move at all. Well, good luck, let us know how it turns out. Hope the weather is nice.

5. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Have fun and watch for cars!

There're some guys around here that ride to Maine for a Lobster dinner, turn around and ride home. Those days are long gone for me. I rode to Pittsburgh and back on a poorly suspended '75 Sportster but that was 35 years ago.(about 500 miles)

6. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

I did 400+ miles in 95 degree heat and humidity one summer, from Western Maryland-to-the-North Carolina Outer Banks, on an old 1981 Yamaha XJ750 Seca, about 8 years ago..
    I though I was gonna drop dead, the last 60 miles.

Steve

7. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Have fun. I hope you have good weather.

8. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

As a note, Jeanne and I tried an IronButt ride from Chicago to Longmont at 1,060 miles. We started in a rain storm in the dark of course and ended just east of the Colorado border, stopping due to an immense thunder, lightning, blowing rain (sideways!) storm!! 36 miles short.

So we've tried it already once. This should be a bit better as we're on a bike where she can actually move around a bit more than on the Hayabusa. :)

Trip map:

[​IMG]

Carl

uriah1 likes this.
  9. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I did a few back when I had my ST1100. It's just over 1500 miles from my house to my sister's so I'd get the SS1K and BB1.5K both, when I had the interest in documenting all the gas stops and stuff. Just drove (car) the same route a couple months ago, and I pulled over at 960 miles. I don't know if I'd try it again.

Have a good, safe ride.
    IBA 30101 (I see by you're number this is not your first rodeo!)

10. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Did my first certified Iron Butt SS1000 back in 2008 on a Kawasaki Nomad. Rode from Culpeper, VA to Eureka Springs, AR. Did my second on a Concours C-14. Manage your rest, fluids and protein and you'll be all set. Be safe, fly low, have fun!

IBA 33674

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  11. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

My first was in August 2004 from Broomfield to Evansville Indiana on the new to me Hayabusa :) I tried on the Harley a couple of years earlier but wasn't as prepared and ended in a cold Atlanta. This is my fourth or fifth, plus two or three DNF's :)

Carl

12. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Hope it's going well.

My wife and I did the 1,000 mile ride sometime around 2005 on our 01 FLH. It is a bit more of a challenge riding 2 up, and you might even get some positive comments from other riders.

I'm guessing that it being a group ride you don't have to document all your route changes individually. DOH, just realized G.P.S. probably streamlines the documentation.

When we did it we only had 3 different roads across 5 states and we had receipts from gas stations at the intersections, I think we got witness signatures also.

13. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Good luck on the ride. There's nothing like being on the road, on 2 wheels. I can't get enough of it myself.

I've been riding a GSXR 750 for the past 30 years, so it's the only riding position that feels natural to me now but the furthest I've gone in a single day is about 500 miles. In June I did a ride that covered about 1500 miles but that was spread across a few days.

My left knee tends to complain the most, followed by my butt... I've also got OEM slide carbs with a pretty heavy return spring that wears down my throttle wrist too. I don't think there's much chance I could do 1000 miles in one go on my bike. I get out quite often but usually for day rides and cover about 200-250 miles, tops.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd just like to take that ride some time without worrying about how long I have to do it in. I hope the weather was as good where you were as it was in Fort Collins today!

15. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Awesome! One day man...

16. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Inagodadavida

17. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I have ridden Manheim , Pa to Cowan TN in roughly 12 hours on my Ducati . Stopped only for fuel , food and to pee as necessary . This is about 730 miles .

18. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

So how'd it go?

19. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

We hooked up with a slower rider (Nancy) on her third attempt and we held on, trying to help her succeed.

Ride up to Laramie and down to Walden was between 25 and 33 degrees and heavily fogged in. We were going far too slow. In Walden there was ice on my jacket from the fog and cold and Nancy was shivering badly and her left hand was in pain as feeling returned. She didn't have a scarf, anything on her levers (I have mine leather wrapped), riding global ves, nothing heated, basically not pepared for the cold ride.

Walden to the Granby turn was cool. Sadly I parked the bike to wait for Nancy and it was a slight decline the bike rolled forward off the kickstand and on to the left side with Jeanne under it. With help from another rider we got the bike up. Just cosmetic damage and Jeanne appears okay.

Granby to Steamboat Springs was okay. Not real twisty but not much traffic.

Steamboat Springs to Craig was also quiet but more traffic. We grabbed lunch and headed south to Rifle.

Ther's a bit of construction south of Meeker, road was packed dirt so no issues.

Rifle was about the half way point. But we got there around 1pm. 11 hours to hget half way.

Rifle down to 65 (exit 49) was freeway so not much to speak of.

We followed 65 to 92 which went over Grand Mesa. Excellent views there.

92 to 50 was the north rim of The Black Canyon of the Gunnison, again excellent views. About 15 miles from 50, we stopped to check out the view and wait on Nancy.

As a group rider in the past, I'd assured Nancy that while I will play on the mountain roads or scurry on less mountainy roads, I will wait at every turn forher to catch up and stop at the first gas station.

Anyway, Nancy saw us in the pullout and slowed to turn in but was a touch beyond the entrance. Unfortunately she was one wheel in the dirt and pointed, about 15 feet away from the rim of the canyon. As she was riding a 1700 V-Star cruiser it was going to be tough. The bad part? She locked up. Afraid of heights. We had to reach down to put the kickstand down and pry her from the handlebars.

After getting her away, I got on and backed it up and pulled it in and next to my bike. We had to block her view while she got organized and before we headed out (BTW, I parked it so ift faced away from the fence).

On to 50 then 114 south. _That_ was an excellent ride. Awesome curves and light traffic.

But

Clouds to the east. As we continued on 114 (the curves ended about half way to 285), I was watching the clouds. Pink straight west and dark farther north.

Then *flash*. Lightning.

Well, weather report shows nothing in Denver. Maybe this is just on this side of the front range. We got to 285 and started getting rained on. We pulled in to the gas station and got our rain and cold weather gear on. Mean time others were pulling in and Nancy finally pulled in. We discussed it. If the storm stays north, we can follow the route to 160 and head over to 25 south of the storm. Otherwise we're done. I'm not riding through lightning.

On Monte Vista, at 9pm, and while watching the storm follow us south, we bailed. I called in so the organizers weren't looking for us. We got a couple of rooms and crashed.

This morning, nice and clear, we headed out on 160 to 25. Flat and straight until the mountains. Then 90mph zooming up to the pass, and a cool ride down to Walsenberg.

Final stop with Nancy for gas, we said our goidbyes, and we headed north. From Walsenberg to Longmont, we did not stop.

That was an IronButt ride. :)

Carl

uriah1 and tery like this.
  20. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Congrats to both of you!
    I've been watching for your update.
    Sounds like a real workout.
    Does it feel like you've been gone for a week?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.