1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Iridium with and without headphone amplifier... If you really want it to sound like a tube amp...

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by DrPepper, Oct 30, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I figured it out... It's like comparing a vintage Deluxe Reverb to a ToneMaster DR.

iMHO, the Iridium straight to HP's is a great tool and sounds great.

But, I have a Home Improvement atitude.... better exist, I want it... :)

Enter headphone amplifiers. I am clueless when it comes to technology, I like simple. The first foray, just to see if it would work was a little thing but, it worked. Second, was the Atom it worked nd let me check the patch cables that I would need for a tube amp. Which is the Darkvoice 336SE. It doesn't have the output of the othe two amps but the soynd quality is, I dare say "tube like". iridiumhprig.JPG headphone rig.JPG

carpenter and PhredE like this.
  2. DrPepper

Goosebumps good... There, I said it.

PhredE likes this.
  3. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Are you running a 12au7 in the headphone amp?

I run a tube preamp (pedal) in the pedal chain ending with the Joyo American Sound.
    The 12au7 (compared to 12ax7) gives much less gain, but more headroom and offers a wider bandwidth generally also (more akin to 'big Fender clean' tones). I have had a BK Butler Real Tube forever and love it, but lately have been doing the tube shuffle with my Behringer VT999 (Vintage Tube Monster) with a NoS 12au7. It sounds quite good to my ears.

4. DrPepper

6SN7, runs at lower plate voltage and is an eight pin tube. Thinking of getting an NOS RCA to try...

PhredE likes this.
  5. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Cool. That's the same kind I run in the VT999. It sounds darn good! (the trick in my case, is rebuffing my inclination to turn things up, but turn them down). Those old 12au7s can sound amazing -- audiophile grade stuff for sure.

DrPepper likes this.
  6. DrPepper

How I am I not surprised how the tube amp warms the sound of the Iridium? I'm comtemplating cloning the Darkvoice, this will be fun...

PhredE likes this.
  7. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Yeah, good point.

The tubes are adding harmonics. The Iridium (much like the Joyo AS) will define a good basic tone/gain/sustain baseline, then run through the tubes you're getting the benefit of some harmonic content.

My pieces parallel yours (well roughly), but are the low-budget version(s)!
    I take the output of the JoyoAS at the end and go straight into a SS amp (again, keeping level down to keep noise managable).

DrPepper likes this.
  8. twtkid

twtkid TDPRI Member

Hm that's a great idea! I have an atom, did you just use a 3.5mm to rca cable to go from the headphone out on the iridium to the input of the atom?

I also have an Fx audio tube buffer with some really nice vintage JAN Philips 5654 tubes but I think that will add too much gain to the equation.

9. DrPepper

Atom work great with Iridium... Yes, you can use a patch cable with 3.5mm TRS plugs to connect.For optimal performance go from the Iridium outputs to the RCA inputs (use a patch cable with RCA on one end and 1/4" TS on the other...

Try the buffer, it might add some tube goodness to the equation...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.