1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Iridium headphone rig, I don't think Strymon intended for it to be used this way...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DrPepper, Oct 19, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I now I have other thread about the Iridium but, this one is different.

I now use the Iridium as a preamp into a headphone amplifier. As a result, the Iridium runs cooler, that has to be good. It sounds awesome, not much more volume. I run the Iridium straight into the headphone amp. And, now that the headphone output jack on the Iridium is freed up, I can use it to patch to a recorder. :)

iridium+amp.JPG '

headphone rig.JPG

Now that I know this works I want to get a tube headphone amplifier (Darkvoice 336SE).

Mike M and LutherBurger like this.
  2. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

So the plan is to always play with earmuffs on? Kudos I mean, if it works for you it works for you, but that'd drive me batty after a while. I'll just see myself out now. :lol::lol:

3. DrPepper

It's either cans or can the guitar for me, at least for a few years. This setup works great for me. I have not found any one else on the web doing it this way, the people at Strymon hadn't planned for people to do this.

MickM likes this.
  4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Between what you pay for the Iridium and the Darkvoice, you could have gotten - oh, wait, size and all that.

Seems like a lot of dorking around for headphones? But if you cannot play "loud" (I really can't either), then maybe it's worth it.

For what it's worth, that Strymon Iridium looks intriguing.

5. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Is the sound really that better than just running into the Iridium?

I think its already one of the best head phone amps out there, and when used with headphones at between 25 to 70 ohms, it hardly runs hot at all.

Just curious if its that much better?

6. DrPepper

Darkvoice 336SE ordered... This will be cool...

Darkvoice336SE.jpg

7. DrPepper

I'm hard of hearing, close to deaf. It helps a lot. I don't know how much better but, there seems to be more detail to parts of the sound.

Freeing up the HP jack on the Iridium will allow me to run a patch cable to a recorder.

Now I am just using the Iridium as a preamp. And, I'll be able to drive a higher impedance set of HP's.

If I didn't have hearing issues and wasn't a tube geek... I'd use it as is, :)

LutherBurger and Mike M like this.
  8. DrPepper

I can't play electric guitar at all through an amp in my current situation. The Iridium is a Godsend. Ive had THR's (3) and the Vox Adio, Iridium sounds much better.

And, by the time I get the Darkvoice, I will have spent less then a new Fender Champ and will have a unique rig...

W.L.Weller likes this.
  9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I'll be interested in knowing whether you hear a difference between the two headphone amps. They only have one job to do, so...

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wouldn’t the Waza Air Headphone amp be more straightforward?

StevesBoogie likes this.
  11. DrPepper

This is so easy to use and sounds awesome.

12. DrPepper

The Atom is better, seem like it has a wider frequency range more low end, more detailed highs. Both have about the same amount of output power. The little Neoteck surprised me, it will live taped to my laptop to use with it.

13. DrPepper

Since saying the above I have bought and played nearly 100 hours through a Darkvoice headphone amp... The sound I am hearing in my headphones is amazing. It is like I am playing a real nice vintage DR. The other two are now on the chopping block.

Jay Jernigan likes this.
  14. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Way cool, I think; I have a headphone amp, nothing on that level, and it's nice enough for practice. Some years ago I found myself recording a lot of guitar tracks wearing headphones. It was a different setup, but a "necessary evil", at the time. My problem, and maybe it was just me, was having the track sound like what I was getting through the phones. Could have been the phones as well.
    There is, of course, no interaction between guitar and amp and this may not matter to you.
    I do appreciate (and may attempt to duplicate) your basic setup; always looking for new ideas.

DrPepper likes this.
  15. DrPepper

After a good burning in... YES

Mike M likes this.
  16. DrPepper

I want to try a patch cable from the headphone jack of the Darkvoice to mic input of a recorder.

17. DrPepper

I have a set of 250 ohm cans coming, that ought to get the volume levels where I want.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.