iPhone Voice Memos Backup

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tarnisher, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

I use the Voice Memos app on my iPhone a LOT. I record song sketches and make bootlegs of my friends' shows.

It used to be that I could back up my Voice Memos to an external hard drive through iTunes. I created an iTunes library on the external drive, and selected it when I opened iTunes. Then I backed up my phone, and all the voice memos appeared in iTunes. I could delete them from my phone to free up space, knowing that they were safely backed up. If I wanted to access them, I just opened iTunes, and there they were.

I recently tried to backup my phone, and got a message that there wasn't enough space available on my drive. I thought that was strange, because I had over a TB on the external drive. But I did some research, and learned that Apple no longer supports backing up a phone to an external drive. Backups now go to your local computer HD, regardless of where your iTunes library is located.

I know that I could backup using iCloud, but I don't like that idea for two reasons: 1. I don't want to pay them a monthly subscription- I'd rather pay for an external drive or two. 2. It seems that iCloud is designed to be a backup for restoration only, not file management, and I'm concerned that I might not be able to access old files if I delete them from the phone.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Are there any good solutions?

Thanks!

BTW, here's a link to a Mac forum where I learned that you can't backup a phone to an external drive without using workarounds. I'm hoping for a simpler solution than what is suggested: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...pace-to-back-up-phone-i-have-tb-free.2185091/

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    imwjl likes this.
  3. Tarnisher

4. thatkeithmorris

thatkeithmorris TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I use the share function in voice memos to save them to Dropbox or to email a copy to myself. Either way I can then store them wherever I want. Could be tedious if you have a lot of files though.

5. boop

boop Tele-Meister

whoa, i had no idea that app existed, the beat detection and auto drums are pretty impressive.

6. Tarnisher

Yeah, that would be pretty labor intensive for me at this point.

But it seems that the backup issues I’m having are not because of voice memos after all. Hopefully I can figure them out and go back to using iTunes to back them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.