iPhone 5 predictions: Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thighbanez, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

Hey all,

With the pending release of the iPhone 5...what effect do you think it will have on other phone vendors?

Pricing drops?
    Wannabe competitor phones?
    Special Deals from vendors?

Please post what you think the upcoming release of the iPhone5 will have on the Smartphone market.

Thanks!

2. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't expect many "new" adopters. Probably mosly iPhone 4 users who skipped the 4s to told out for this one. LTE baseband might bring in a few new adopters, but I see this selling a lot less briskly than previous offerings.

3. Thighbanez

Ah I see, Thanks for posting!
    I've been mulling over the LTE network myself lately...wondering if I should save up and get a phone that will interface with the better data rates. The problem I have with my phone now (wackberry tour) is that it's no longer fully compatible with the upgraded network and it sucks more than ever now. It wasn't the best phone to begin with, now it's almost unusable for anything a normal phone does.

4. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The battery doesn't hold a charge very long on my iphone 4. So i'm holding out for the 5 hope it's soon. I have an upgrade coming so it should be $199. but the Tax is on full price of the phone. I never thought I would give a rats-A$$ about a phone there's just something addictive about iPhones.

5. Thighbanez

I agree, iPhones have revolutionized the Smartphone market.
    I would get one but I can't stand the idea of having to put iTunes on every machine I use it with. If they made the iPhone5 not require iTunes...I'd be sold on it.

6. AccusedNut

AccusedNut TDPRI Member

I hear you through and through. Before I got my 4, I had a pantech that I liked but it was just that--a phone. My iPhone is my bank, my newsreader, my social apps are there, the TDPRI is on my phone, email, etc. also the cameras on iPhones are absolutely amazing. I'm looking forward to the 5 to see the upgraded specs, as I wasn't impressed by the 4S. The only *improvements* were Siri and an upgrade to the camera, and I have a Siri-esque app on my 4, so I didn't give two cents thought to getting a 4S. Definitely looking forward to the 5 to see what it has in store for us.

7. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

You already do not need iTunes

8. AccusedNut

AccusedNut TDPRI Member

While I agree with what you said, I see absolutely no hope for that, lol. Everything Apple makes syncs with iTunes, and I don't see that changing at all, ever. It's the only drawback to Apple for me, but I don't really mind it.

9. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The iPhone 5 is scheduled to be released on 9/12. We can already see some of the effects in other Android and Windows based phones coming to market in the same time frame.

10. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

None significant.

1. No price drops.
    2. Think the courts already weighed in on "wannabe competitor phones" and decided to allow yet more patent abuse to take place.
    3. Prolly some more good deals on Droid phones.

I have an iPhone. Love it over Android (I have a Droid tablet which I love) for two and really only two reasons:

1. The DAC is miles above any Android product, music playback sounds far better on an iPhone than any of its competitors. If somebody can show me differently, I'd love to know because that's the biggie that keeps me with Apple.

2. The Peterson Strobe Tuner app. Port this to Android, guys! I use this thing ALL THE TIME. It beats any pocket tuner I've ever used, even the venerable yet awesome TU-12. And having actually used real Petersons back in the day, this works AT LEAST as well as the old ones. Best part is that it's 10 bucks. 10 bucks for the best tuner I've used apart from the old real Petersons. You gotta be kidding. So awesome.

There are also a myriad of reasons I'm not real sold on my iPhone, most petty, some not - for example, security hasn't even begun to be addressed adequately by either Apple or Android. I also hate the small screen and that looks like it's just going to get stretched a bit, not actually enlarged.

I think this launch is going to be disappointing. I have the iPhone 4 - not 4S - saw no reason to upgrade to Siri and am not seeing any reason to upgrade to the 5 either.

11. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What's the big deal about itunes? I sync all my stuff together with iTunes. Mac, ipod mini, iPhone and ipad (another addictive product) all music, apps I don't sync photos it's really very convenient. My wife was just like me could care less about her phone Me and the kids talked her into getting one, try and get it from her now. Take the leap once you apple you wont go back.

12. Thighbanez

Wow, first iPhone user that isn't giggly about the 5 release!
    Thanks for that unique viewpoint!

13. Thighbanez

Well, personally...I do not own any mac products. So having Itunes on my PCs for one phone is utterly ridiculous.

14. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

I work with computers and other computing hardware every single day. They're tools, and I purchase tools to do specific jobs. I don't build my identity around my tools. The iPhone is a great tool for some things. As an external manifestation of your tribal identity (Windows guy? Mac guy? Linux guy? Android? iOS?) and as a representation of one's ability to spend money, it's great - but that's not what I bought it for.

I'll never understand this, you don't see guys having 20-page flamefests on Ryobi versus Ridgid. And if there are, don't tell me about it. I have enough problems sleeping at night.

15. tschommer

tschommer Tele-Afflicted

I think you are dead wrong, the iPhone 5 will easily outsell previous offerings by a wide margin. Some surveys have been showing that surprisingly high percentages of current iPhone owners will upgrade and lots of Android phone users are also interested.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/09/04/three.in.four.existing.iphone.users.expect.to.upgrade/

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

predictions: 1) it will sell and drive the stock price higher (after some small profit taking a day or two after release)
    2) lots of people will buy it. Many will replace their 3 and 4's for it and almost all 4S will get replaced within 120 days.
    3) it will go big in several emerging markets and will have concessions for those markets... this will have a large impact on total sales and on the itunes market overseas
    4) it will get initially mixed reviews, in 90 days, it will be accepted as a huge step forward and will generally be hailed as 'changing everything'
    5) the majority of people who currently do not see the value in the iphone will continue to hold their view.

brand warfare is common... high school kids have been arguing ford vs. chevy forever.. nothing new...

17. Smithstar

Smithstar TDPRI Member

I just use spotify premium for my music, haven't used the iPod on my phone for a good year now.

18. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I've got a 4s that I will keep for at least another year. The iPhone 5 will be a nice upgrade but people tend to expect a lot in the new iPhones and they usually don't live up to the over done hype.

Not sure why there is so much iTunes hate from the PC crowd. iTunes is a very convenient way to sync, backup, and upgrade the iPhone. You don't ever have to use it to buy anything. I never have. I have hundreds of CDs on iTunes, all ripped from my collection on the bookshelves

19. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    It may actually work in my area...which means...I may soon be replacing my trusty Nokia TracPhone...

That is ironic considering what I do for a living...*

;)

*other than collect pension checks that is

20. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

I have a MacBook Air, 4GB RAM. I have a quad-core AMD PC with solid-state drives and 16GB of RAM specifically designed for music recording and (the real processor-intensive stuff) Blu-Ray ripping. The PC runs circles around the Air, and should, it was designed to.

iTunes runs fantastic on the MacBook. It runs like a fat guy with his legs tied together on the PC. And iTunes has ALWAYS been like that, runs well and consistently on Macs, crashes and runs like molasses on Windows machines.

So, that's why the hate. The Windows user simply has always had a very different user experience of iTunes than a Mac user does.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.