iPad on mic stand?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Jun 9, 2013.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep....I use one for lyrics and feel noooooo shame.....could care less what people think of using one on stage. 25 yrs of playing out never had an audience say anything about stands........great tool

2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I've started to use a Sumvision Cyclone 10.1" 16 BT. Bought a couple of months ago for under £130, with 32Gb SD card and a stand clip I'm looking at about £160. I have PDFs of all out songs, usually both words and chords, added notes for intros etc, all the bits I sing are highlighted. For the most part it is just a matter of a quick glance whilst the singer introduces the next song.

I used to be able to play with maybe just a single annotated set list taped to the monitor, and still can for a one hour festival gig, but when we play 3 hour gigs it is too much of a risk. We also seem to be playing more one-off themed gigs (we had to learn 8 or 10 halloween songs, then a couple of months later 12 Christmas songs) which adds to the pressure. I think music stands on stage look really naff, and though oure singer claims not to look at his it seems to me that he spends more time reading the lyrics than performaing, which must detract from the experience. The last gig we did I set it up between us so we could share it, which worked quite well, a lot less intrusive, but he still looks at it too much.

I create each set as a single PDF file and just page though it as if it were a kindle. I have the whole repertoire of everyband I have ever played in sdtored on it, and could pull the file up in less than a minute, so we could handle requests relatively easily.

So far it has functioned well, The battery still has over 50% remaining at the end of a 3 hour gig. I keep a stand and printed sheets in the car just in case. The only time it let me down was in rehearsal when the screen changed, it had found a local wifi network and was connecting, I had neglected to turn off the wifi, have not done that since.

3. guitar dan

guitar dan Tele-Afflicted

Here's a picture of mine. I have an Ipad and a drink holder on my mic stand.

Attached Files:

4. D_Schief

D_Schief Tele-Holic

Here's a related issue -- how do you guys over 50 read these things!! At 59, I just had cataract surgery. The good news -- no more coke-bottle glasses, 20/20 vision from 3-4 feet and out, and I can finally see the young ladies' swimsuits at the pool!! The bad news, if I use any notes, cheat sheets, music or iPads, I need "readers" to see them!! Nothing says "Geezer" more than them things!

5. claudel

claudel Tele-Afflicted

One of the cool things about the iPad is that one can easily control text sizing...

6. Barbeque John

Barbeque John Tele-Meister

I say embrace geezerhood, if you're standing there with your music stand, cargo shorts, glasses, running shoes, etc, and people are being entertained, nobody will care.

7. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I can't even see te mic stand ........ in fact, I can't see You ....... unless you're Guitar Daniella!

8. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I don't use one, but three other band members use them for charts and lyrics. One uses an iPad and the two others use Kindle Fires.
    Our bass player goes low tech. He has his notes on sticky notes on the back of his bass. Probably has a dozen and half of them stuck on there.

9. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

I replaced my pile of 3-ring binders with an iPad about 1.5 years ago. I use the GigBook app to keep hundreds of lyrics organized by setlist, projects, etc. I have an iKlip that holds it unobtrusively to any mic stand.

It works about 4x better than paper. Easier to read, much smaller, works in low light, and I can update Facebook during other people's solos ;)

Side note: I was at a Bluegrass jam this weekend. Every other person had lyrics and tabs on an iPad!

10. guitar dan

guitar dan Tele-Afflicted

Nope, I'm the good looking one on the left:lol:

11. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

My buddy clipped his iPad on his mic stand. Made the mic stand top heavy and very tippy. Nearly lost his iPad. Make sure you have a good base to your mic stand...

12. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

I just put my IPad 3 on a music stand. I do have a nice case for protecting it.

I use Airturn Bluetooth footswitch to turn the pages.

Onsong is my program for storing my songs and set lists.

13. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

All the young kids are doing it in lil cafes and such around here.I've seen it on the big stages as well and its fine cause you hardly notice if the band is not hiding behind the stands.

No biggie. If your in a rock and roll band then yeah thats real dorky.

14. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

15. HarveyTBirdman

HarveyTBirdman Tele-Meister

Brian Wilson of the beach boys sits centre stage, on a stage piano, with a massive screen in front of him.

I guess he partied too hard and needs the words in front of him, in impact size 40 font.

As for cover gigs, yeah, I use a samsung 10.1 inch., clipped on the mic stand, in a black protective cover.The airturn pedal is useful too. One stomp and you're on the next page. Beats the hell out of messy folders and music stands. It's never failed me, but I do have 40 songs memorized just in case I need to finish without it.

16. claudel

claudel Tele-Afflicted

17. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

Smoked lens prescription sunglasses. :cool:

18. Spike55

Spike55 TDPRI Member

My Bass player has no problem seeing hers but she is 32, we use it for set list, practice, for our 2 piece band, "Stars and Spike" and plan to use in our shows. We will be using ours for drum tracks, and midi some keyboard sounds for fill. We have about 250 songs in a list now culling them down, but will most likely keep 60 or so available in the teleprompter, to add a lot of variety. I can play almost anthing I can see, but can't remember crap, LOL Really I started late performing, and I just need the notes with so many changing songs, for different venues. We have our first one in about a month, a wedding rehearsal dinner gig, so it will be smooth jazz,mellow blues, nice love songs and such. This older couple, does not want any headbanging music, told them that was not problem , we don't play that stuff!

I myself am 55 and understand the eyes thing, need the geezer glasses too, but I do real well at distance, so we are going to have a monitor slaved off of hers, to a floor monitor looking cabinet, most people will never know the screen is there, I am building now. It will be a verticle orientated screen with 2 powered speakers and a sub, we will be using it as a stage monitor/telepromptor combo. I will be doing a thread on the build! It is at my feet, just like a regular monitor and I can read everything real easy to remind me of where I was supposed to be, when I got lost. LOL

I wish I had 30 years on stage, instead of 30 years plumbing with this worn out body, but at least I have something to keep me busy now, waiting on my healing to happen!

19. Spike55

Spike55 TDPRI Member

Dan, I don't think anyone will notice our system with my bass player on stage, she wears a dress just about all the time, I was thinking about getting nice new stuff to wear, but I don't think it will matter. LOL

She has the i pad on her stand, like yours, I get the telepromptor feed down in front of me, she controls the system, I talk to the people and deal with my pedal and maybe adding a vocal processor to my setup.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  20. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I know it's not the same as a paid gig but I use my iPad on a standard music stand and the GuitarTapp app all the time during open mic nights. Really it looks way better than a book of words, or worse a muddled bundle of sheets of paper which many others seem to use.

I'm not great at remembering lyrics, and often get them muddled so it's useful to have it as a prompt in a pressure situation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.