1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ION Strat Copy, Anybody?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

OH, OK I see. On the iAxe393, that USB circuit even has a place to plug a headphone in it. Thanks, Platefire

2. Delta63

Delta63 Tele-Holic

aha I used to own one of those guitars. Unfortunately I did not give it much attention though. I picked it up for $25 and traded it for a Marshall G80R.

3. Platefire

If that's 80 Watts with Reverb and good condition---I'd say you got the better end of the deal especially if you didn't sink any money into the ION. The ION has a Maple body and a pretty decent maple neck. So it isn't like a plywood body and can make a pretty good building block if your so inclined. Platefire.

4. willhowl

willhowl Tele-Meister

redpaul1....wow,man...I do not mean to hurt your feelings, but have you watched your video?..I think you had the Roland Cube up too loud, overloaded the camera mike, turned audio into.....DooDoo...'

And, I see a tuner on the Ion......I am sorry to tell you, all respect, but, yer out of tune......You are showing 9 posts..now...I want you to keep going, Brother, but.........I Am FarFromPerfect.......willhowl

redpaul1 likes this.
  5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

One of the best "strats" I've ever played and own is the one I got for my wife about 15 years ago for $65, it was a brand new old stock sell off Hohner brand in lovely surf green. Has an alder body, a really thick, lovely slab rosewood board, wonderfully finished frets and a very comfortable feeling neck.

The pickups were nice sounding alnicos, but they were pretty low output for some reason. I replaced them with a set of Fat 50's and to this day it's one of the first "strats" I go to if I need a strat tone.

A lot of these budget ones were built really well, but one either has to hit the luck of the draw if you don't know the history or research to find these low cost gems.

6. redpaul1

redpaul1 TDPRI Member

Actually, I did run into some issues with the holes not lining up, but I figured if the old holes are going to be hidden under the scratchplate, then, if I have to drill new holes, so be it.

What was unexpected was that the routing cavity for the pots was too narrow to accommodate the much wider bridge tone pot in the new scratchplate. I had to enlarge the 'tail' of the cavity by drilling a series of 1mm holes in a semicircle across the lower edge of the cavity, breaking off the lugs of wood that remained and sanding till smooth, until the bridge tone pot could drop in without catching on the sides. It took about an hour.

7. redpaul1

redpaul1 TDPRI Member

Yeah. I'd already come into enough grief from my dear partner in life's journey for turning her kitchen into a workshop, I had to really rush that video. As to the tuning, because I hadn't had time to let the strings settle after restringing... that's why the tuner was there :)

willhowl likes this.
  8. willhowl

willhowl Tele-Meister

Hey, again, redpaul1....I totally understand.....Now, the deal is , I have an ION strat coming to me, so I am reading everything I can dredge up......I really like the idea of "fixing up, tuning up" low cost instruments, soo.........

I just like the way they look, too.....It's a learning tool........I'll Be Back..........willhowl

P.S....I'll start a new thread when I get hands on......watch for it.........

redpaul1 likes this.
  9. Platefire

I hope you guys are happy with your ION, if not you will probably be stringing me up;>/

I really like mine. Platefire

redpaul1 likes this.
  10. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Local Pawnshop has one(White) for $75. Wanted it, but I also want some others that they had and didn't have any cash. They had a Maroon Epiphone LP Special(2 HB's) and a Epiphone LPJR(HB), couple of nice Squiers, Peavy T15 and a Jay Turser that all had me salivating.

11. Platefire

I've been wanting a LP Special 1 with the P-90's. Musician Friend has them for $100 bucks now. I love the way they looks but after I read reviews with problems with the bar/bridge--I kind of cooled off:>) Platefire

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

A lot of people have intonation problems with them using light gauge strings, they seem to like the bigger strings. I would think some longer adjustment strings would be of help. Also seen complaints of the neck being thin, but since it's a bolt on and having the Fender bolt pattern, they could be easily changed out with a suitable aftermarket from what I've heard anyway. I would also rather have the 2 P90's Or get one with the 2 HB's and put P-rails in it.

13. Platefire

I guess I pass on them. I never had a P-90 guitar and thought that would be a cheap way to jump in---but you usually get what you pay for;) Platefire

14. Platefire

I felt I needed to resurrect this old thread to say I've been playing on my ION strat here lately with my Church Praise Band and it is performing so well.
    Action and feel is excellent and those old Hwy 1 pickups and kicking out some tone. Trem works smooth and it stays in tune. I guess I can say now this project guitar has really proved itself over time to be a keeper. This was my first project strat so I never dreamed it would turn out near this good. Platefire
    ION Upgrade 005.jpg ION with Dynaguide String Trees.jpg

redpaul1 likes this.
  15. gri7

gri7 NEW MEMBER!

i just picked up the same guitar today. $50 cdn off some tween kid. its looked well loved. but im using it as donor neck parts for a offset tele im building. the neck radius feels like a baseball bat. i may sand and shape. and stain it to match my build. and giving the bridge and other odds and ends to my dad for his partocaster.

16. Platefire

As OP, I still got mine! The two string trees I got on it cost as much as the guitar. I actually like the original shape of the headstock. The body is Maple which is an unusual body wood. A tonewood on the bright side. It's kind of special to be me because it was my first project guitar. Platefire

redpaul1 likes this.
  17. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I literally just picked one of these up for £20 to practice fret leveling/crowning on. Came with a decent gig bag, a beaten Squier amp, strap, and randomly 3 tuners :D

Obviously needs a setup (and an airing, stinks of cigarettes), but for £20 a bargain methinks

redpaul1 likes this.
  18. Platefire

How much would that be in American $$.

19. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

About $27 I think

I levelled, crowned and polished the frets today. I'm amazed at how well they came out, considering I've never attempted anything like that before... Really pleased with the results.
    I had to shim the neck, but it's now playing nicely. It could do with a new nut and definitely needs either a new switch or the existing one sorting, as the neck position keeps cutting out.
    I think I'll just keep this around as my project guitar, eventually I'll get some nut files and have a go at that... Then see if either of my sons show an interest in it. One has a Squier Strat but doesn't really play, the other is a bit young still, and a lefty, but if one things for sure it's that he likes making a noise so you never know

redpaul1 likes this.
  20. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I love the stories about how a "trash" guitar becomes a treasure~

redpaul1 and kohoutec like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.