1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Intuition: do you have intuition

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ping-ping-clicka, Nov 29, 2020.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Fascinating subject once you get intuit....

boneyguy likes this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

What happened was that my “gut” was wrong about the honesty and integrity of three (actually, that can expand to six) people whom I’d known—and trusted—for between three to thirty years. I feel extreme anxiety discussing this, so I’ll leave it at that.

3. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

I am an INTJ and definitely have an intuitive ability and approach to solving problems. Sometimes I am wrong, but more often right. It mostly has to do with how information is processed to reach a conclusion, rather than some kind of psychic ability to know what is going to happen.

I used to shock my teammates working on issues. They would be hammering something for days or weeks, and bring the problem to me, and I would find the issue in a very short amount of time. It all had to do with taking the information in and then knowing where to look.

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

OK wow, I'm sorry to hear that.

Several years ago my wife was going through some stuff including changing anti depressants, leading to panic attacks.
    Her parents came to visit and "help".
    One day I got home from work to find the house ransacked and a note from the in laws suggesting the marriage was over.
    Took about three months to get her to return (from Ireland).
    ....content deleted due to personal nature...
    A very surreal summer.

Her parents eventually commented that I would never trust them again.

they never apologized for not talking this over with me, while the alternating panic attack/ sedated patient was unable to make clear decisions.

IDK, sometimes we may choose to trust others, and while that can turn out wrong, I'm not sure trusting is inherently a mistake just because of the bad outcome.

My doc thought i might have a heart condition for a bit then, turned out it wasn't palpitations, just extreme anxiety!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Fiesta Red likes this.
  5. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I'm sorry you've gone through this...it sounds horrible. I'm certainly not levelling any blame but I'm reminded of all those New Age pseudo-spiritual sort of memes constantly shoved at us imploring us to simply trust our guts...to take that blind leap and just trust...etc. etc. Now, that being said I have no idea of your particular circumstances but I think, when it's possible and suitable, it's usually best to balance some 'gut' with some 'head'. That's not always easy to do and not always easy to know what context is best suited to one, the other or both. It can be a cruel world.

SbS, Fiesta Red and telemnemonics like this.
  6. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Whereas I, at the same age and having similar thoughts, had probably just been at the mushrooms again...

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. boneyguy

It would seem that our brain/nervous system is largely (if not wholly) in the business of pattern detection. It's likely that you are able to recognize patterns of information in an unconscious manner (intuitive) that others on your team do not perceive without a lot of cognitive work.

It's like musical virtuosos. The main thing that distinguishes a virtuoso from the rest of us is the ability to be quickly aware of and recall patterns. Those patterns might be scales, melodies etc. or how the fretboard is designed. It also includes an intuitively functional understanding of music theory. All that stuff can be intuitive but it's also very highly organized, just not intellectually.

According to what I believe at this point in time high quality thinking in regards to having a skill boils down to two fundamental activities: 1) pattern detection, 2) recall of patterns (memory).

rghill likes this.
  8. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

My gut tells me no

9. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

I absolutely agree. Intuition is made to seem like ESP or magic. It is really about picking up on the patterns, and just knowing what to do.

I saw a video where they were talking about pareidolia and what kind of evolutionary advantage it may have. To our primitive ancestors, the ability to pick up on facial patterns quickly was key to survival. Just the same as being able to pick up on queues about which way the herd of caribou was running to land a well aimed spear.

boneyguy likes this.
  10. boneyguy

I do also think that there are other ways of knowing, other ways of accessing information that aren't explained by our five senses. I'm certain of that.

11. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

When I leave the house on some mission I may have a nagging feeling I have forgotten something. I am almost always right. I think of what it is at my destination. This is not the kind of intuition I can appreciate to the fullest.

12. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

If you play clubs for a couple of decades, you can see a fight developing out there 1/2 hour before. And you must have a strong intuitive sense if you're improvising with a band.

13. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Me too

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

No, but I've been shafted by enough people that I can tell when it's going to happen again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.