1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Introduction & first DIY guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tklaavo, Feb 11, 2012.

1. tklaavo

tklaavo Tele-Holic

Hello all good people,

I've been reading this forum since last summer and been really impressed by the incredible skills and good spirit people show here.

I wanted to build myself a tele. My grandfather passed away last summer and left a woodworking shop, where he spent most of his time while retired doing all kinds of things, mostly furniture and other useful stuff. I started learning to build a guitar, and it was also a nice reason to visit my grandmother, who is 85 and lives alone.

Some good tools in grandad's shop include an excellent handheld Festo router, a Scheppach jointer/planer (not wide enough for one-piece bodies though). There's also a small table saw, a bandsaw and a drill press, they're not in so good condition though. But more than enough to get started. And a ton of hand tools as well.

I read a couple of books and a hundred build threads here, then started to build templates and jigs and gather special tools and parts. My dad had some old pine and I got it for free, so a pinecaster was my first goal. It took three attempts to get a body that was good enough. I got a cheap neck from eBay, and had good luck - it was nice and fat just the way I like. Other parts I got from here and there. The two bodies that didn't quite make it, are probably going to be transformed to some other shaped guitars sometime.

I only learn by making mistakes… But now I have this:

[​IMG]

This iPhone photo is bad, but the guitar isn't really good for close ups.. It has dozens of cosmetic faults, but plays perfectly. For the first time I have a guitar I really want to play. And I love the colour. The finish is uneven, the pickguard does not fit too well, the jack plate is really not tele-style.. I don't mind.

So far I have learned how to put a guitar together, dress frets, make a bone nut with individual string compensation, do the wiring etc. As you can guess, I have other builds going on, and will post them when I know they will turn out as useful guitars.

I'm also planning to join the 2012 challenge, if I have the time. Already have an idea.

I really want to learn this, and this forum is the best resource I've found. Big thanks to everyone who have shared their builds!

2. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic

Sweet. Your Grandad would be proud.

3. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Welcome aboard tk , nice looking guitar you made yourself there. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

4. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

That looks nice - lovely colour.

5. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

Welcome
    Nice Tele

6. tklaavo

tklaavo Tele-Holic

Thanks, he probably would. When grandmother saw the guitar she said "well that's looks just like a guitar from a store".. I doubt she's ever seen an electric guitar before. But I take it as a compliment anyway.

Grandad was a real DIY man. He started with nothing in the 40's - after the war Finland lost some territories to Soviet Union, and he had to move away from his home village with nothing. He worked as a mason for his whole life, and made a good living for the family.

His workshop / garage building has played a part in my guitar hobby in the past as well: When he was building it, I was helping him as my first "summer job" in the late 80's. He paid me generously, and I bought my first guitar.

7. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

It is a great feeling to use something you made from scratch. But it is the process of building guitars that I have fallen in love with because it reminds me of helping dad in his workshop.
    By the way a LOT of the builds posted here are loaded with flaws the builder could point out and a guitarist would never see.

8. tklaavo

tklaavo Tele-Holic

Thanks, I will post more when there is something to show. Projects I have:

- a Les Paul JR double cut -style thing, made entirely of thermo-treated ash. It has some modifications, such as shorter neck, probably two different pickups, a thinner body etc. This one is really shaped by my mistakes, but will be unique at least. It seems a never-ending project at the moment - already trashed one neck
    - a basswood tele from scratch (actually Tilia Cordata to be accurate)
    - (in the future) a Duo-Sonic shaped after my brother's '71 Music Master - the neck is in the works already
    - (in the future) a self-designed offset body guitar modified from one of my faulty tele bodies inspired by THIS mod.
    - something special for the 2012 challenge is brewing in my mind as well

It really is the process that causes addiction..

9. tnt423

tnt423 Tele-Meister

Very nice, you have no idea how advanced that looks. Way beyond my first attempt.
    Welcome to the addiction.:p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.