Introducing the NeoLeo! (A modern 5e3)

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by BobSmith, Aug 1, 2019.

1. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Guys, I just got this off the FedX truck today. Man, it’s a beaut!

I’ve been wanting a black tolex amp for some time, but you can’t get them anywhere! Well, that’s not true...Mojotone will make a cab reluctantly (and there’s one of those coming to me too)... and a couple of boutique builders (milkman and some others) offer them. But this is my first!

I asked a custom builder online (who made my first 5e3 head combo, and did an awesome job, see my profile pic) to source some black/charcoal tolex for me and he came up with this. I am totally impressed by how it came out.

You may have seen some of my other threads chronicling my two 5e3 builds trying to decide on which caps to go with, well this 3rd one (set to get started in a few weeks) will take the best of that build and modernize the resistors (a departure from carbon comps everywhere) and go with Dale resistors instead in all but a few select locations (where I will place some NOS carbon comps). The aim is to keep the tone, lower the noise floor, and raise reliability. Along with that modernization, I am ditching the cloth covered wires, and going with modern PVC jacketed wiring (sourced from valvestorm which is where I got my JTM45 parts from and thought was top notch).

So that’s the concept, same basic design, with a modern twist. 30 seconds after pulling the head cab out of the shipping box, I came up with the name NeoLeo. I haven’t named a thing else, but this one feels right to me.

Pictures to follow. And ask yourself, can anything top a tweed?

More to come!

Attached Files:

2. Robear

Robear TDPRI Member

Man oh man that is sweet looking. What a great update of a classic look. I saw the material swatch on Mojotone’s site and wondered what it would look like on a box. Thanks for sharing.

3. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

This one didn’t come from Mojotone, but from a guy who goes by a few names online (I believe he supplies a few boutique builders.) Currently he selling under “Master built tweeds” on Reverb. His stuff is really top notch. Perfect corners. Ships fast too.

I do have a Mojotone coming with blackout lacquered tweed (their version), but I’m still waiting for that. Just for fun I ordered an extra baffle with small cane weave. It’s the same as Two Rock Burnside. I’ll post a comparison when it arrives.

Robear likes this.
  4. Robear

Robear TDPRI Member

Ah. I didn’t quite catch that. I’m definitely looking forward to your report. Side by side comparison can’t be beat!

5. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Still working on my other 5e3 (yellow jupiter), but another cosmetic flavor arrived today. So I’m compelled to post.

Black one is Mojotone lacquered “Blackout” tolex. I asked for black fender style grill cloth, but it came in oxblood instead (looks like a Milkman Black Tweed). I wonder if it’s worth the trouble to have them correct it. The spare grill/baffle is small cane weave (looks like a Two Rock Burnside).

Thoughts? I think it’s pretty sharp!

Attached Files:

SteadieEddie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.