Intrigued by Hosco's black nut files and holder.

goonie

Friend of Leo's
Not much about these on the forums so I'm guessing they're fairly new. They look very nice indeed. Not a new idea - StewMac make a similar holder for their flat nut files. I like the compact size of these new Hoscos, and unlike the Stew Mac stuff I can order it from a supplier here in Australia. But apart from all that it just looks like a great product and of course will be well made.

I'm finally looking to invest in a good nut file set (have only used welding tip cleaners up until now!) and unless I'm missing something, these look ideal.

s-l1600.jpg

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Holder looks like a nice addition but not a lot of size options for the price. I have the larger hosco set with tapered sides as well as these in the link. My preference is just holding these in my hand.

goonie

Friend of Leo's
Thanks @eallen, I have subsequently read a review which said the downside of the holder is that it obscures a clear 'birds eye' view of the nut while filing.
Of course, using the holder is optional. The compact length of the files also appealed. Maybe the holder will be useful for the thinner files? Guess I'll find out!

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
I think those files will be a fine investment, and if you like the smaller holding size, then go for it.
I use the same files as in eallen's link there, which I pair up with the backers from stewmac.
The backer is really nice to have, especially for the thinner files, but often I use the one for the thicker files also.
All in all, I think you'll be pleased

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a set of similar files in a different brand, bought them years ago from Grizzly Tools (I think). Mine do not have the holder, I doubt that I would use it. I promptly broke the 0.010 file which I don't use anyway (for that size string I would use a 0.012 or 0.013). Anyway, mine have been good files but I reach for my double sided StewMac files instead.

Look forward to a review when you get yours.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
The info doesn't say whether the files are ground to produce a slot with a round bottom, which makes me think they probably don't.

Fenderbaum

Tele-Meister
I own this set, but i dont use the magnet holder. Kinda blocks the view for me as its bulky in size. I just use the blades by freehand. but it suits me because i like to have a close hands-on for these kinds of detailed work.
Files themselves are top notch.

And yes, the files are rounded. Can shoot a photo tomorrow of a cut nut with these.

Last edited: