1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Intonation question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gary in Boston, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Hello All,

A question about intonation as it relates to Teles and Les Paul Jr's

I have a Les Paul JR and I have a couple of Teles.

One Tele always intonates easily. Three Barrel Bridge, any set of strings I've tried etc. Another Tele I have always had issues but I finally got it under control with the Wilkinson Tilting Bridge Pieces. The two guitars measure our identical scale wise etc etc and yet one has no issues and the other is fragile for lack of a better word.

My LP Jr with the stock tilted wrap around bridge intonates just fine, again with any strings I've used. It's actually comically simple that it does. I have a friend with a similar vintage LP Jr that also intonates just fine EXCEPT the bridge is at a super steep angle, and looks way different from mine.

I know this must be a math question and I can understand that Fender has the bridge pieces moving to compensate (sometimes) but how did the boys at Gibson (A) know what angle to place the bridge at because you probably only want to drill the studs once.... (B) And have such a simple thing that appears to work most of the time ? Gary

PS Yes I know there are Teles and LP Jrs out there that don't intonate not matter what you do but that just adds to the weirdness of this question because they are all built fairly close in spec to one another.

2. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

The Gibson wraptail bridge allows for limited movement as well. My favorite bridge by far.
    Wraptail lover,
    Rob

3. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

Have you checked neck relief? Excessive bow of the neck can cause intonation issues.

4. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

My question was more of a "how'd they do that"? Especially Gibson, you have to figure out the intonation before you drill for the bridge studs and they vary. Yes the little grub screws help tweak it and I've found that heavier strings seem to be forgiving - ish. Neck relief also a factor but I've seen LP Jr's with the treble post super close to the pu and I've seem them, respectable like mine is. Im a curious man that's all. Thanks Gary

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.