1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Intonation problems, HELP !!!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by mefgames, Nov 29, 2020.

1. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

I recently built a 20" scale non-Tele guitar. I have yet to be able to get this guitar intoned completely to my satisfaction. It intonates perfectly at the twelfth fret on all strings. Where the problem seems to be is at the nut. Open chords are just unacceptable. If one or two sound correct, the others are off. I know this is a known problem with guitars, but I have never experienced it to this degree. I have tried compensating the nut similar to Earvana nuts, and used compensation spacing similar to SOS comp spacers, still not solving the issue. Is this problem being amplified by the short scale ? I'm using 10-46 strings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. After the pic below was taken, I relocated the bridge back an 1/8" for better intonation and changed the string spacing. Also changed the string spacing at the nut.

Thanks in advance, Mike

IMG_0560.jpeg

24 track likes this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Press down the string/s at the third fret. If the string passing over the first fret is more than a cigarette paper thickness then that guitar, or any guitar, will never intonate. Open chords will always sound out, because you are actually pulling the string sharp.

Only solution is a set of nut files. You can make one out of icy pole stick with string glued on or use the cheapie ones from Fleabay.

3. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

At 20 inches you may either need to pitch this thing higher with your 10s, or possibly try some much larger strings.

4. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

I can't see any fret markers -- sure you're on the 12th? ;)

5. mefgames

side dot markers only.

6. mefgames

Thanks for the replies. The tuning problem has been resolved. After making and slotting 3 new bone nuts, putting compensation cuts into them similar to an Earvana, and pitching it higher to G C F Bb D G, as suggested by notroHnhoJ, all is well.

24 track likes this.
  7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

you could try a compensated nut , but I'm never fond of those things as people still try to compensate from the bridge even with them on. the correct String guage a proper fret distancing and dressing are your best bet, but any compromises you accept will put you back where you are.

cool guitar BTW

8. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Athing to remember...string intonation and adjustment is proportionate to string length...micro adjustment with short scales or you will always sound off

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.