1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Intonation on Les Paul Special

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by fakeocaster, Jul 1, 2017.

1. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

I have a chance to check out a second hand special later this week. I'm not that familiar with LPS but from the pictures it doesn't look like you can adjust intonation at the bridge.Has anyone much experience with these?

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Acoustic players and countless players of Specials, Jrs, etc. have been getting along just fine for hundreds of years.
    Ypu can, too.
    The only one I couldn't abide was one with a wraptail compensated for a wound G, and I wanted to use a plain.
    A new bridge sorted it.
    I've had many and never felt the need for one with adjustable saddles.
    They all get close enough for me.

3. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

My brother asked me to adjust his Epiphone Les Paul Special II. It had a regular ABR-1 style bridge and a stop tail.
    Which model are you looking at?

Edit: Oh! I see it now. Never mind. :rolleyes:

fakeocaster likes this.
  4. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Intonation will only get "good enough". My junior won't intonate that great and gets more obvious the further up the neck you go. There are replacement bridge that will fix it if it bothers you too much.

fakeocaster likes this.
  5. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

There are three kind of wraparound bridges, all have a pair of screws to adjut the whole unit back and forth.

The first style is plain, doesn't provide intonation for each string, but it works anyway (good enough)...

The secondth has a ridge (looking like stairs or lightning), to provide a better (fixed) intonation for each string. The more vintage version is intended for wound G strings.

The last one with a ridge too, is intended for plain G strings.

fakeocaster likes this.
  6. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Yes, for intonation purposes, it is important to distinguish between those basic "ridged" ones that are designed for a plain 3rd and those designed for a wound 3rd. Apart from that, intonation will set pretty good using the adjsuting screws in the mounting notches. - Assuming the bridge is in the right place to begin with, and extreme tunings or string gauges aren't being used.

This is a plain 3rd example:

[​IMG]

This is for a wound 3rd:

[​IMG]

fakeocaster likes this.
  7. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

It's fine. Stop playing with screws and practice your guitar.

3 saddle bridges, wrap-arounds that only adjust all strings at once, acoustic fixed saddles:

All have been used to make amazing music in the hands of a real player.

P.

8. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for that....I've played acoustics and electrics of different types for years so I'm familiar with the compromises needed for intonation.I haven't had a chance to check this one yet ,so I was wondering if anyone had experience with this specific model

9. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Intonation is for uncool souless squares .just rock ..........he he :twisted::lol:

10. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus Tele-Meister

The LP Melody Maker is a great modding platform. I replaced my damaged lightning bar bridge with an adjustable saddle vrsion that works well with this guitar.

IMG_0587.JPG IMG_0588.JPG IMG_0589.JPG

11. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

I tried many replacement bridges on my humble Melody Maker as the intonation was not that good. I found it a struggle to get ones that fitted the studs, or ones where the studs fitted the stud hole threads.

I then bought a rather expensive, machined aluminium bridge, with compensated saddles milled into it. It intonated perfectly, but the tone of the guitar just vanished. It went from being a vibrant, big sounding guitar, that actually had a very loud unplugged tone, to being lifeless and thin sounding. So I put the heavy, uncompensated Gibson bridge back on, what I did was file out the slots in the bridge ends to bring it forward by 2mm or so. Now it sounds good, and I can cope with the lack of perfect intonation.

The bridges on these slab Gibsons are part of their tone IMO

Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.