Intersections have rules, please don’t direct traffic from your car, m’kay..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 4pickupguy, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My school system had a driver ed center with new cars provided by the GM plant across the highway. Had a tower, each car had override controls on the passenger side and radio activated breaking. The center had a skid pad they could flood to teach us how to steer out of a slide. And when we passed the lot and tests we had an entrance ramp to I-285 in Atlanta. Imagine cars full of 15 year old kids, their first on-road driving without their parents is gunning it onto a freeway at morning rush hour! But I’ve never had an at fault crash. I’ve been hit while stopped at traffic lights but never hit anyone, never put my car in a ditch, never even curbed a wheel in 40 years. If the space is 3-4’ longer than my car I can get in it and exit it without a backup camera. I’m not saying I’m special, I’m agreeing with you that training works.
    Kids today just do the classes online and it’s up to the parents to be honest or not with the logs.

Greggorios likes this.
  2. 57joonya

57joonya Tele-Holic

Yes to all this . Same here in nj. Usually it’s me me me , for any drivers here

3. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Wow, that's pretty deluxe! All we had was some classroom, some gross movies and then off to the streets, two kids at a time in cars with stickshifts and somewhat qualified instructors with their own duplicate brake pedal on the passenger side. They made sure we knew the 4-way stop rules as well as passing on 2-lane roads - another skill which seems lost these days. I don't think most people under 50 even know you CAN pass cars by going into the oncoming lane when allowed, of course, or that people aren't breaking the law when they do so.

Killing Floor likes this.
  4. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Tele-Meister

Still in Shreveport. I used to love driving when I was a teenager. I'd drive around all day long on $10 in gas. Today, I can't drive more than 30 or 45 minutes and I'm sick of it unless it's a road trip on open highway. I still love road trips :D

Chester P Squier and Greggorios like this.
  5. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Tele-Meister

That's the thing that probably gets me "wound up" the most: texting and driving.

My daughter lost her life becasue her mother was texting and driving. I've wanted to almost yank, somebody out of their car after almost hitting me because they were texting & driving. That's the one thing I don't play over.

I assume this is in reply to me? If so, I can only tell you this. If I slow down any more, I'll be doing under the speed limit. I never speed. I never text and drive. I don't eat & drive. 9 times out of 10, I'm literally the ONLY car on the road that's doing the speed limit. If I slow down any more, I'll be creating a hazard in the roadway. When people pull in front of you and slam, on their brakes to turn or don't yield and pull out in front of you so, you have to slam on your brakes, it has nothing to do with speed. It has to do with distance and how much they have to do what they're trying to do. I could. Be doing 25 and they can still pull out and require someone to slam on their brakes because they didnt yield to oncoming traffic. I've had one truck totaled by one of those idiots. I had it 2 months and had made 1 payment on it. He pulled out in front of me when I was maybe 15 feet from the intersection. Doesn't matter if I was doing 30 mph, I'd still have had to slam the brakes on or try to swerve out of the way.

I did the latter and instead of plowing his driver door and likely killing him, he hit me and my truck rolled 6 times. I wasnt doing 30 that night. We were doing 55 in a 55 mph zone and he never even looked my way. He just pulled out and tried to turn left in front of me, never even slowing down for the stop sign.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  6. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I do...and I walk sometimes. There is a busy railroad track between my house and the place I work that would see me cut off from going home for lunch or being late most days if I had to walk around the train rather than drive around the train. The other day the train was stopped blocking all 5 intersections in town so I had to drive a mile out of town on a dirt road, get on the highway and drive a mile back to see the train still parked there. If I'd walked I'd just be standing next to a train. Plus it's Kansas so you can never predict the weather!

Now when I worked on the other side of the tracks I walked every day! I'd still walk if it weren't for the trains.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

When the 4 blocks are on a "stroad", taking a car is the only safe way to do it.

For example, the apartments I used to live in about 25 years ago are about 4 blocks from my current office. If I still lived there, I would have to drive because there are no sidewalks and both the apartment complex and office are on busy stroads where the average speed is around 50mph (80 km/h) and drivers are often distracted by phones and such. It's even dangerous to walk from the office to a restaurant across the stroad.

Telecaster88 and Greggorios like this.
  8. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

In my neighborhood, in SF, we have a lot of intersections that only two directions have a stop sign. These do-gooders will often stop for us when they don’t have to. I always worry 1) they will be rammed from behind as nobody expects them to suddenly stop, 2) realize their error just in time to hit me as I cross in front of them.

I really dislike these 2 way stop intersections TBH, and we have tons of them in my neighborhood for some reason.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  9. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

I don't think you understood. Perhaps there's a different description in your area. Here single lane means one lane each direction. Two lanes means two each direction.

While it's "nice" to let someone in, the law is that you don't get to enter the stream of traffic until it's safe to do so. If traffic is heavy it's unfortunate to have to wait but it is what it is.

With two lanes (each way) one person may decide to be nice and let a driver leave a parking lot but the nice person hasn't coordinated that choice with the drivers behind them or the other three lanes of traffic. The driver in the lot thinks it's ok to pull out into the street and they're just blindly driving into traffic with their view of all the traffic partially blocked by the good Samaritan.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Telecaster88 likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

One morning when I went one morning at a STOP sign near my house, I found two cars who had run into each other head on, a third vehicle was perched half way up a fence surrounding a church. This was in a school zone where the posted speed limit was 25 mph. Three angry motorist were waving their arms and giving their version of what had transpired to ONE police officer as I slowly made my way though the intersection. Only an iron will kept me from parking my car, and listening in on the conversation.

11. Mark E Rhodes

Mark E Rhodes Tele-Meister

Yes, I see this often.
    I live in South Florida where "everyone is from somewhere else" (and not just somewhere else in the US), so I don't assume everyone I meet was taught "the rules of the road" the way I was. (Or at all, for that matter.) I've become a very defensive driver.

12. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Holic

Ha, I do the same thing....no idiot, it's your turn. Don't think you're being nice to me, when you clearly were here first and have the right of way.
    When I do take them up on their offer, I never give them a sign of thanks and have to admit that sometimes I shoot them a look of bewilderment.

CharlieO likes this.
  13. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Afflicted

In Arizona, the pickup with the biggest tires has the right of way - bonus points to the one with an NRA sticker

Cloodie and bcorig like this.
  14. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

I'm smiling about some generalizations because I've been aware of stats for following or breaking the rules - knowing the rules?????

A municipality near me surveyed some intersections this past summer and found about 85% of the drivers knew and complied with the laws. Another study broke the myth of bicycle riders always breaking the law. It was within a few percentage points as far as complete stops etc....

My opinion is complying with the rules varies by date and time.

15. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    Considering how many vehicles are on the road every minute with infinite variations of personality, sensory perception, skill and distraction it amazes me that there aren’t more collisions.
    I stop for pedestrians, which infuriates those behind me. Too bad.

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  16. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    “People are idiots”. Nice.

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Toronto Drivers? Never knew them to be that polite!

18. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I deal with a lot of small town drivers here. It's really very simple: Signal your intentions, and take your turn. One town I'm in a lot is peppered with 4 way stops. the rule there seems to be stop then go, regardless of whose turn it is.

19. Toto'sDad

We have two new roundabouts on a state highway near me. They seem to be a joke on motorists that keeps on giving. The engineers have perfected their design to the point where they can easily direct motorist caught up in the round up to exit into oncoming traffic, just to express their frustration at being caught up in the roundabout to begin with.

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

The rules of engagement here in B-town are simple, if you have any kind of accident, and you are still mobile, exit the car, and run towards the nearest alley. It's your best chance for avoiding arrest of even being questioned about the accident.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.