Interrogations and Depositions

brindlepicker

Tele-Meister
Went through a deposition when I was about 24. I had separate testimony meeting along with 4 other coworkers in a lawsuit that was against my employer. Sweated about it for 6 months prior knowing it was coming up. Objection stated -you may answer kind of garbage. My boss, his lawyer, 2 other lawyers, 2 court people present I think.

We did the depositions, and the suit was dropped the day before trial.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
If you’re married you’re interrogated and forced to give a deposition containing information that will surely be used against you at some point in time. Think of marriage as practice for an encounter with sharks.

Last edited:

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
In the cases I've been called on to testify the lawyers were just unbelievably rude. On one case I was testifying against someone who tried to force his way into my wife's car at gunpoint. My wife sped away. The guy didn't see me, and I was able to disarm and subdue him, and hold him for the authorities. You would have thought that I beat up a Babtist minister out on visitation duty from the things his lawyer said.
And, he probably didnt believe his own Client's story from the Beginning.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
If you’re married you’re interrogated and forced to give a deposition contains information that will surely be used against you at some point in time. Think of marriage as practice for an encounter with sharks.
It's a Life-Long Sentance with no time off for good Behaviour.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Here is the one that got me hooked. Sadly, I haven't found many others that even come close to the absurdity and entertainment value as this.

I at first didn't know if this was legit, or some kind of spoof put on by actors. Once I realized how much comedic gold there was in this, I decided to watch the entire thing all the way through. His presentation was compelling and his ability to thread details of the narrative throughout the deposition was uncanny.

If you have the time and interest, I recommend watching from the beginning, and sticking with it.

It wouldn't be much fun if you looked into the background of the case. Information virgins should endeavor to watch in sequence.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Dealing with the Law while you are under Oath is something that can have repercussions that last a Lifetime.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Lawyers have an uncanny ability to put words in your mouth, and make it seem that is what you really meant to say. I testified in a couple of cases one criminal, one civil. At one point in the civil case, it was kind of like on Law, and Order, I quit answering the lawyer questioning me, and the judge demanded I answer him. I told him that I would not be badgered and that if we were in a bar instead of courtroom the lawyer would already be lying on his butt. The judge threatened me too, I said do what you will. The judge finally said maybe we ought to take a break and try this again in an hour. We came back the lawyer was civil, I was civil, the judge was civil. I don't know what went on while we were out, but everything was better when we resumed.

Yeah, there are "Rambo" types who try to take advantage of the witness, and they make life less pleasant for the rest of us.

Normally I was the lawyer who didn't set the deposition but had to attend anyway. I normally used the time to read my file and get better acquainted with all the details - and maybe prepare an evaluation so the matter could be settled for more money. There's other ways of finding out what people are going to say and you can anger people taking depos who wouldn't mind helping you (until you upset them and they decided not to cooperate anymore). If you are beating up on a witness, normally that means your case is a loser (or you, the lawyer, are a loser).

To me, the funniest and most unexpected things happened when the court reporter (transcriptionist) substituted the wrong word in the record. A fellah with a Greek name suddenly has a Gynecological Term in place of his name. Or when Old Tyme court reporters had black folks sounding like Amos N' Andy when they sounded exactly the same to most ears, as their Caucasian neighbors (who sounded rather Shakespearean instead). Talking word for word transcription, obviously not video. Video is too ^#$% expensive, IMO.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've never been interrogated, but I have had to be deposed a few times in civil matters. They could do these things in 75% less time and get the same results. Lots of theater and beating around the old bush.
I hear you.

But sometimes a witness just snaps - sometimes when you expect it least. Then the Insurance Lawyer can go back to his client and crow about all the money that they can save - now that the case has blown up.

Doctors have heart attacks during depositions, or an expert is struck and killed walking in the crosswalk in front of the Courthouse. What's the biggest worry for a Plaintiff Lawyer? It is that "life happens". Remember, I can lose enough money when one case goes awry, that'll wipe out my fee on 5 other cases. And that year I may pay my secretary more than I get to bring home. That's why those guys fight, and delay. Time is on their side.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yeah, there are "Rambo" types who try to take advantage of the witness, and they make life less pleasant for the rest of us.

Normally I was the lawyer who didn't set the deposition but had to attend anyway. I normally used the time to read my file and get better acquainted with all the details - and maybe prepare an evaluation so the matter could be settled for more money. There's other ways of finding out what people are going to say and you can anger people taking depos who wouldn't mind helping you (until you upset them and they decided not to cooperate anymore). If you are beating up on a witness, normally that means your case is a loser (or you, the lawyer, are a loser).

To me, the funniest and most unexpected things happened when the court reporter (transcriptionist) substituted the wrong word in the record. A fellah with a Greek name suddenly has a Gynecological Term in place of his name. Or when Old Tyme court reporters had black folks sounding like Amos N' Andy when they sounded exactly the same to most ears, as their Caucasian neighbors (who sounded rather Shakespearean instead). Talking word for word transcription, obviously not video. Video is too ^#$% expensive, IMO.

Very perceptive on your part BB. The lawyer who was beating me up verbally was trying to shake the fact that I was an eyewitness to an accident HIS client caused. They lost, and the fellow that was ran into got a handsome award. He had it coming, I thought he was dead when I got to him when the accident occurred. He by all accounts was a hardworking man who lost a year's work because of the accident. He had a brain injury that took a year to clear him for duty, he went back to work at the job he had before the accident.

He was minding his own business and had the right of way when someone pulled directly in front of him. I had a clear view since I was sitting in a Kenworth traveling directly behind the guy who got hit. If I hadn't been on my toes, I would have got 'em both.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
I hear you.

But sometimes a witness just snaps - sometimes when you expect it least. Then the Insurance Lawyer can go back to his client and crow about all the money that they can save - now that the case has blown up.

Doctors have heart attacks during depositions, or an expert is struck and killed walking in the crosswalk in front of the Courthouse. What's the biggest worry for a Plaintiff Lawyer? It is that "life happens". Remember, I can lose enough money when one case goes awry, that'll wipe out my fee on 5 other cases. And that year I may pay my secretary more than I get to bring home. That's why those guys fight, and delay. Time is on their side.
No doubt. A few years ago I was a party in a civil matter and the attorney hired by the insurance company completely unhinged the claimant, who was a liar and a swindler, during the deposition.