Interrogations and Depositions

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I often practice while watching YouTube. I don't know why I often prefer these to actual films.

The interrogations don't usually produce confessions. But when they do, it is interesting how they precede the confession with assurances that the cops try to shield their parents from this, at first.

Anyway, it's good to have on in the background as I practice technique stuff.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
@Larry F you're a better multi-talker than me and likely lots of other things.

Across the big river by your rival Big 10 school there's the Chandler Halderson trial that has resumed and streamed life. That's caught me as rather wow for the legal proceedings and what it seems that guy likely did.

After some time away I'm purposely playing without a pick.

:)

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
@Larry F you're a better multi-talker than me and likely lots of other things.

Across the big river by your rival Big 10 school there's the Chandler Halderson trial that has resumed and streamed life. That's caught me as rather wow for the legal proceedings and what it seems that guy likely did.

After some time away I'm purposely playing without a pick.

:)
Must check this out!

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Must check this out!
One of the Madison if not a few stations have been streaming it. Maybe the juiciest moments have passed.

About the time he supposedly dumped his mom's body parts near the river I did one of my long bike rides and I'll see the vultures. That put some thoughts in mind.

I had the streaming in background while working and had some fascination with the detective work and as a parent. I don't know how we could be so daft as to think a kid was faking being in school and having the job so long.

Edit:I guess you will have to watch in all in retrospect.

Last edited:

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I often practice while watching YouTube. I don't know why I often prefer these to actual films.

The interrogations don't usually produce confessions. But when they do, it is interesting how they precede the confession with assurances that the cops try to shield their parents from this, at first.

Anyway, it's good to have on in the background as I practice technique stuff.
I probably watch way too many "true crime" shows on the ID and HLN channels.....in fact, yesterday I saw a program about a crime I had seen another version of on a different channel. Watch enough of those and you'll never trust your husband/wife/best friend/ co-workers/neighbors again. One of the best things (in line with what I believe you're saying) is that the manic, hysterical "interviews" don't exist in real life. They are generally calm and persuasive, rather than violent, screaming in faces type of affairs. I'll usually practice my guitar during the commercial breaks.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I probably watch way too many "true crime" shows on the ID and HLN channels.....in fact, yesterday I saw a program about a crime I had seen another version of on a different channel. Watch enough of those and you'll never trust your husband/wife/best friend/ co-workers/neighbors again. One of the best things (in line with what I believe you're saying) is that the manic, hysterical "interviews" don't exist in real life. They are generally calm and persuasive, rather than violent, screaming in faces type of affairs. I'll usually practice my guitar during the commercial breaks.
When I was but a lad, as was the fashion of the day, I went with one of my classmates who lived on a farm to spend the night. I was only about nine, maybe ten years old, and it was such a great thing to be out in the open, and I was reminded of my home in Alabama. James's dad and mom took a liking to me and would pick me up where I lived and return me the next day.

One morning we awoke to the sound of sirens and quickly got dressed and went outside to see what was going on. We walked down to where the noise was coming from about a quarter mile away, and some policemen quickly ran us out of there, and told us to go home. We would later learn that a whole family (I believe of five) were murdered during the night, by person, or persons unknown. As far as I knew, I never heard of the preparators being caught.

I had bad dreams about that incident for a long while, and I completely lost interest in going out to the farm. You just never know what is going on around you.

Boxla

Tele-Holic
Is it just me or is it crazy that the police can lie and make up stuff in an interrogation?

"You know we do have your buddy and he's already flipped on you and told us everything, so to make things better for you just tell us everything"

Meanwhile there's been no buddy that's told them anything. That should not be legal to do. It's insane to me that in the USA it is.

My sister and brother-in-law are both cops in a big city. My sister is a homicide detective. We don't disagree on this but she feels like if she's allowed to do it then she does it.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
When I was but a lad, as was the fashion of the day, I went with one of my classmates who lived on a farm to spend the night. I was only about nine, maybe ten years old, and it was such a great thing to be out in the open, and I was reminded of my home in Alabama. James's dad and mom took a liking to me and would pick me up where I lived and return me the next day.

One morning we awoke to the sound of sirens and quickly got dressed and went outside to see what was going on. We walked down to where the noise was coming from about a quarter mile away, and some policemen quickly ran us out of there, and told us to go home. We would later learn that a whole family (I believe of five) were murdered during the night, by person, or persons unknown. As far as I knew, I never heard of the preparators being caught.

I had bad dreams about that incident for a long while, and I completely lost interest in going out to the farm. You just never know what is going on around you.
When I was the same age there was a family that lived up the street from us who fought so much everyone knew it. One day the husband went to office building where his wife worked and killed her with a knife at her desk then fled and shot both her parents.

No was allowed out for a day or so until he was caught.

Later on my brothers and I went into their empty house. We found an empty box of shot gun shells on the mantle, just seeing that made our hair stand up.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I have had to do a few depositions in my life. I wasn't the target, but I was friends with people on both sides and in one, some of them were present for it. The admonition to 'answer the question' only and not provide context or fill in the blanks is hard, at first, but after an hour or so, it is easy.

One of them changed me as a person. I changed how I answer questions of a certain type and how I derail lines of certain kinds of questioning.

I also saw in one how someone who seemed pretty stupid was actually clever.

My niece is a lawyer and we have had conversations about how she constructs the questions she is going to ask... it is pretty cool.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
In a previous life, my work required us to go through the Wicklander-Zulawski interview and interrogation training. As they coined "Use the truth to your advantage." It was a pretty eye-opening experience and changed how I handle questions and questioning. I'll add that I'm grateful to not be in that line of work anymore.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have had to do a few depositions in my life. I wasn't the target, but I was friends with people on both sides and in one, some of them were present for it. The admonition to 'answer the question' only and not provide context or fill in the blanks is hard, at first, but after an hour or so, it is easy.

One of them changed me as a person. I changed how I answer questions of a certain type and how I derail lines of certain kinds of questioning.

I also saw in one how someone who seemed pretty stupid was actually clever.

My niece is a lawyer and we have had conversations about how she constructs the questions she is going to ask... it is pretty cool.
Lawyers have an uncanny ability to put words in your mouth, and make it seem that is what you really meant to say. I testified in a couple of cases one criminal, one civil. At one point in the civil case, it was kind of like on Law, and Order, I quit answering the lawyer questioning me, and the judge demanded I answer him. I told him that I would not be badgered and that if we were in a bar instead of courtroom the lawyer would already be lying on his butt. The judge threatened me too, I said do what you will. The judge finally said maybe we ought to take a break and try this again in an hour. We came back the lawyer was civil, I was civil, the judge was civil. I don't know what went on while we were out, but everything was better when we resumed.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
The one of a few times I had to give one, I was trained and knew every angle by how the defense attorney would come at me. I also did nothing wrong which always helps, but that didn't deter him from trying to get me to gaffe myself. I actually enjoyed the exchange, watching his face get flush until he had no further questions.

Last edited:

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I'll let y'all in on a trade secret -- 99% of real world litigation is boring as hell unless you're directly involved.
I think for me, at least, it was watching a certain former athlete's trial for murdering his wife on TV. That trial was so different from everything I'd ever seen on TV courtroom dramas.....and, I'm told, that the participants in that were 100% aware of the cameras and scrutiny they were receiving.....so they were "putting on a show" even then. I'll never forget a practice I noticed of Johnny Cochran's. Every time he had something objected to by the prosecution, regardless of how the judge ruled, he said, "Thank you, your Honor".....as if it was always ruled in his favor. I suspect some jurors who weren't fully paying attention always thought every ruling was in Cochran's favor, and so assumed he was "winning".

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Lawyers have an uncanny ability to put words in your mouth, and make it seem that is what you really meant to say. I testified in a couple of cases one criminal, one civil. At one point in the civil case, it was kind of like on Law, and Order, I quit answering the lawyer questioning me, and the judge demanded I answer him. I told him that I would not be badgered and that if we were in a bar instead of courtroom the lawyer would already be lying on his butt. The judge threatened me too, I said do what you will. The judge finally said maybe we ought to take a break and try this again in an hour. We came back the lawyer was civil, I was civil, the judge was civil. I don't know what went on while we were out, but everything was better when we resumed.
i was asked by a Friend to Testify in Court on his behalf for a DUI.
The DA tied me up in a Knot with yes or no questions so fast...

As it worked out, I caught the DA making a mistake about my testimony.
She threatened me with Felony Charges of Perjury and everythng else she could think of.

She had the Court Reporter read back my testimony and, ya know what?
I was Right.
You could hear the Wind let out of her Sails.

As things turned out, the City Cops were getting Money from the State for Dui Arrests, Convictions notwithstanding.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
i was asked by a Friend to Testify in Court on his behalf for a DUI.
The DA tied me up in a Knot with yes or no questions so fast...

As it worked out, I caught the DA making a mistake about my testimony.
She threatened me with Felony Charges of Perjury and everythng else she could think of.

She had the Court Reporter read back my testimony and, ya know what?
I was Right.
You could hear the Wind let out of her Sails.

As things turned out, the City Cops were getting Money from the State for Dui Arrests, Convictions notwithstanding.

In the cases I've been called on to testify the lawyers were just unbelievably rude. On one case I was testifying against someone who tried to force his way into my wife's car at gunpoint. My wife sped away. The guy didn't see me, and I was able to disarm and subdue him, and hold him for the authorities. You would have thought that I beat up a Babtist minister out on visitation duty from the things his lawyer said.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
Is it just me or is it crazy that the police can lie and make up stuff in an interrogation?

"You know we do have your buddy and he's already flipped on you and told us everything, so to make things better for you just tell us everything"

Meanwhile there's been no buddy that's told them anything. That should not be legal to do. It's insane to me that in the USA it is.

My sister and brother-in-law are both cops in a big city. My sister is a homicide detective. We don't disagree on this but she feels like if she's allowed to do it then she does it.
I think it's appalling.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
I've never been interrogated, but I have had to be deposed a few times in civil matters. They could do these things in 75% less time and get the same results. Lots of theater and beating around the old bush.