Internet aggravation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GuitarsBuicks, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

It's not so much the youtube stuff I'm worried about. Most bands I've been in post the schedule of all the dates on the band website AND have announcements on social media (mostly Facebook)...one of the bands even posts photos/videos of the gig in real time. So if I'm out of town on a travel gig or even just an overnight, I really don't need everybody knowing about that.

I know this is only anecdotal, but my next door neighbors' house got robbed when someone saw them posting photos on instagram that they were 80 miles away at their beach house for the day. And, yes, you're right, it was someone they knew (the daughter's acquaintance from her college dorm), and they may well have robbed them eventually anyway, but...they did use info from social media to their advantage.

But yeah, I guess me using a stage name is overkill, but at the same it don't cost nothing and I haven't encountered a downside!

fretWalkr and nojazzhere like this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

people can really be awful... the worst part is it isn't the randos... it is the ones we know!

3. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Is the OP in danger of being caught in a parole violation? If not, how could gig videos be “used against you”?

teletail likes this.
  4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

this could be genius! I think if I played in a blues band, I could get a fake ankle bracelet and wear it and the crowd would think I was super legit!

I'd make up a song called 'mayhem' where I had my character in jail for 'mayhem' we'd have so many fans.

nojazzhere and soulgeezer like this.
  5. BladeStratford

BladeStratford Tele-Meister

I've been posting to my YouTube channel (TheBenderBunker) for almost 3 years now with no privacy issues to speak of. I also added an Instagram account earlier this year to help promote the YT channel. I'm a stickler for privacy so you'll never see any content with my family (other than my dog!) or any exterior shots of my house that would enable someone to find it. I've also never posted or said my name in any of the content. Yes, I talk about living in Austin but you can also see that same info in my profile over on the left of this post. Austin is the 11th largest city in the U.S. so not too worried about that. My YouTube channel has its own email address posted if someone wants to contact me and a PayPal link if they want to donate to the channel. I've been contacted by many friendly and respectful viewers over the years with no privacy issues. Point being - if you set up your Social Media offerings correctly, with regards to privacy, I believe it's unlikely you'll have any issues. At least that's been my experience so far.

If you're trying to promote your band I think its almost mandatory to have some type of content posted for folks to check out. Pre-pandemic, you'd be hard pressed to get me out of the house to see a local band I was not already familiar with if I couldn't hear or watch a few clips of them playing first. At this stage of life, I need to sample the goods before I commit my time and money!

41144 likes this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

THIS

My name is not "El Marin" whatsoever... it is not the same name in FB or IG... there is my band's name. My photo there is my band's logo. I only use that for promoting my bands and get work for them. No personal life nothing EVER.

Any body, any one can go to a gig, record it, make a photo and upload it to internet so why bother... let's use it. Now, if I post a new gig, thousands of people know about it... well.. for 3 minutes, then forget. BUT my duty is promote my band. Your duty is got to the gig if you want.

More: Many times talking to a venue... I will send my band's CD and they say no thanks. Have no recorder. So the only way is giving them a link to the social media videos

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  7. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Exactly that :) ... preferably thumbs up really, but there's no thumbs up icon.

8. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

I would think a two piece band would be considered small enough. Especially when we can provide everything from two people standing in a corner to filling the local arena and/or a 30+ acre plot.

9. GuitarsBuicks

That has done surprisingly little for us in the past. We played the biggest local venue for the Fourth of July a few years ago and it was almost completely empty, except my parents, my uncle, and my guitar teacher.

Okay, but the hat and shades are a great idea, also that's my normal gig wear as long as its not a sanctuary.

Again, in my experience it has been of surprisingly little help at all. "competition in other places" I guess.

(Yea, I just quoted "Sultans of Swing". shoot me later.)

10. GuitarsBuicks

No, I am not on parole, nor have I ever been in trouble with the law. The biggest problem is that we have already had music stolen. Our style is very unique and we had it used against us in a talent show.

I guess "used against you" is an odd way to say it but I couldn't think of any other way.

We have people that are hot to shut us out of the local circuit any way they can before we even get started. Mainly for no reason other than they just can't stand the thought of competition or a fresh set of faces.

11. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

If it's really "your" music, you should ALWAYS copyright it before you play it in public. As to "style," if someone can take my own style and play it better than me, more power to them. That's on me, not on them.

I used to be in a band that opened for some national acts. We always tried to kick their asses. When we had opening acts for our shows, we always said, if you can come on our stage in front of our audience and kick our asses, we salute you.

soulgeezer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.