1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Internet aggravation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GuitarsBuicks, Sep 16, 2020.

1. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

Okay I realize this may upset some people, and I have nothing against the internet, but...

Do any of you that don't put videos on the internet feel that it's harder to get gigs, find band members, or get noticed in general?

I have issues with posting videos and pictures with any kind of identifiers where they can be publicly stolen or used against you. At the same time I feel like I'm being left behind and struggling to even get gigs even without the pandemic because we don't have a media account. I mean it's not like we couldn't easily make and post videos in this day and age. But would it be just one in an endless stream of other guitarists that want the same thing?

I don't know. Maybe this is a rabbit hole nobody should go down.

Anyways that's where my train is headed. Don't shoot the thinker.

2. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

I've got gigs by playing audio from my phone recorded during rehearsals. You don't NEED the internet to get gigs, but sure it helps.

nojazzhere and rangercaster like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd say it's very rare to get a gig off the internet at all. Gigs seem to come from word of mouth, being seen at a past performance etc.
    I even advertised in a local music rag for a couple years, Not one response, ever, from it.

But advertising a gig you have on the internet can help get people out. When I started doing that, I eventually quit sending out the "Gig Alert" email to a list of fans who signed up. Eventually I started noticing that some of the regulars were not in attendance any more.
    Then on a couple gigs I saw people who said "thanks for letting know about the gig, we were missing you guys"
    I guess this points out that not everyone is as internet oriented as some of us. Those people didn't even know we were playing gigs!

P-Nutz likes this.
  4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ah, social media vs. privacy. A tough issue.

Those people who leverage media for work are essentially giving up privacy to get it. The problem is, many of them probably don't understand that.

So - should you give up privacy for work /gigs? Tough question. Really tough. Not one that I can answer. for anyone else Everyone needs to draw that line where they are comfortable, and accept the consequences.

brogh likes this.
  5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

The spyphone is a computer in the pocket and hand. It is the only computer a lot of people own, and they don't own a printer or scanner to accompany it. A lot of people use it to search and find most things on which they spend money.

I know and work with a lot of real estate investors/owners/operators, and most of the contacts they develop now to rent an apartment, motel room, storage space, an RV pad, or a pad in a trailer park is developed from mobile computing and a presence on the intermess. Think about that proposition--most mobile homes are sold and the pads leased in a trailer park are to consumers that find them through a pocket computer. A lot of the aforementioned operators are contracting with young people in their 20s to manage their web presence (augmenting it through frequent posts/updates on farcebook, twitter, youtube, parler, gab, instagram, etc., and the others will eventually do it or hire personnel in-house to do it.

The lesson in this is to get with the times or risk getting lost in the clutter.

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I learned this trick from friends who worked as radio personalities and television broadcasters. NEVER use your real name. Come up with something generic...Joe Knight, Rich Lake, Robert Long, etc.

7. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you resign yourself to the fact that anyone can find out anything if they work hard enough then it should not be an issue. You could set up a media site password protected, changing the password on a regular basis.
    A professional talent buyer is not going to hire you without seeing you and they more than likely will not come to you. Most people want to see video so that they can judge the enthusiasm and overall look, audio only does not often cut it. I don't think it needs to be a professionally done video. You could have it on a laptop or tablet and take it with you. I'm not going to lie though, it is very tough these days for a band, smaller acts stand a better chance.

gregulator450 likes this.
  8. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I've got lots of thoughts on social media, but I would say... if you find a platform toxic, you're probably right (esp Facebook). I'm also a private person, and there's just not a great way to use these platforms anonymously (as you can with web forums)

I had an account with FB for a few years, bailed it in 2017 and didn't miss it until a friend asked if I'd watch a cooking show streamed from his BnB in Nova Scotia at the outset of the current global "troubles." Hope I can say that.

Got an account and followed my twitter tactic of being completely anonymous, making no friends/connections, and deleting the rare post I'd make after 24-48 hours. Funny you can have armies of anonymous bots on the platform all screeching about [insert topic here], but a non-trolling anon account with no friends means they don't know how to monetize your eyeballs, so I was banned after a few months.

It's all crap imo. Web forums are about the best of a bad lot. I follow over 1,500 accounts on Twitter, it's great passively. I have an IG for our Bullmastiff Lulu. My youtube channel has the occasional video that's only available to those I share a link with. That's it, and I've no desire to interact with others on these platforms, which exist solely to enrich some really awful folks by spreading bad ideas without regard to their merits... just whether they are "engaging" (good or bad).

As the saying goes, if you get something for free on the internet, you're not the customer, you're the product. Over it.

9. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Tough question, but @unixfish said it IMHO perfectly.

I add you know the minute you get a gig outside somebody will probably shoot a video and post it right ? :D it's part of the Show Business, these days I think it's easier to get booked if you post a video of the band playing live to show what & how you do it.

Cheers have fun play music !

10. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I recently got offered a gig from a Craigslist ad looking for musicians that I responded to. It's the only time I have ever had that happen. It's always been networking in one form or another, but in this case Craigslist helped me expand my network.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

Don't hate the player, hate the generation of kids raised by parents who grew up on 3 chord autotune :D

12. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

In the first paragraph you claim you can't gigs without videos etc then question if they are effective? That makes no sense to me.

What exactly will be in the video that is of such concern? Planning closeups of your ID and credit cards? :)

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

What expectations do you currently hold for your personal privacy?

If you think that by having a flip phone and using aliases or even moving to the mountains without electricity, never voting etc that you have privacy, you'd be mistaken. How would posting music videos of you playing be used against you? Well, okay, if you are going for youth pastor and you are in an anarchist death metal band and perform nude, I get it, but, if you are banging out 'moondance' with some neighbors at a bar, what is the deep state secret there?

I occasionally have to look in to people (euphemism, kinda) trust me, it is already out there. all of it. it isn't 'free' on the internet, but for 10K a year, pretty much everything you'd want to know about a person is available.. you can even buy purchasing habits and stuff like that.

If you were single (oh wait or married) and you decide you wanted to date... in this day and age, you'd likely use an app, and once you go their real name, you'd be a fool not to check them out and see what they told you is true, right? If you are running a bar or venue, wouldn't having more info help you decide if you sing 'moondance' correctly or not?

P-Nutz and swervinbob like this.
  14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm involved with 3 organizations that until recently hosted events for hundreds to many thousands including 3 stages event that hosts big name acts. It didn't matter if it was small or large, all the decision makers wanted to see and hear ahead of time. I'm guessing that's typical so not having a way for prospects to hear and see is probably a liability these days.

The George Clinton show was interesting and fun all the way through first showing his video to all through the night of the event. There you could find 1976 video and more recent video.

15. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

use a fake name and post stuff on youtube- I don't see an issue- there is so much stuff out there that its not like folks will find you and steal your work or somehow come find you etc-unless you are really something special and then- well that's kind of the point. Its far more likely you'll think- why isn't anyone looking at this cause I think its great?

16. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

It's not that I care if anyone finds out that I play Moondance (which I DON'T by the way :lol:), but I just do not want them to know exactly when and where I will be playing it...i.e. not be home. I realize that even by using an alias, they could spend $10K and figure out my real name, home address, etc., but...that would be a lot of effort just to steal maybe that much worth of guitars and so forth.

17. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

GuitarsBuick...
    I quite understand, and belive I'd agree with, your point and the sentiments behind it.
    I would also agree that, certainly for 'amatuer"/beer money gigs... Word of mouth/recommendation will go a long way.

But, having a promo video or two could help as well - ever thought about/anyone you know good at... digitizing them in a clever but artistic manner to render the individuals involved virtually unrecognizable?
    Or, you can create a promo video whereby you don't let members be 'tagged' and wearing a hat and shades (de rigeour for some gigs :lol:) etc can obfiscate matters.

Regarding the privacy thing, as others have said, as soon as you use (certainly if you register for anything on) the Internet you can pretty well forget the idea of 'privacy'/anonymity!

Of course any sort of paid gigs (not my realm at all) ... I would have thought an internet presence and especially promo videos on Face-ache/YT etc would be unavoidable really, unless you were really well known in a 'local scene'.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I spent a lot of years teaching prisoners at night school... everything from basic literacy to literature and computer networking. Most of them are coming from pretty significant intellectual deficit. I think you are pretty smart to worry that someone would find your youtube promo kit, then plan to hit your pad while you are playing the hits of today, tomorrow and yesterday at the local watering hole... but I think the chances that that is something likely are infinitesimally small... It is true that very high profile (and very rich with lots of bling) artists and athletes have been robbed while playing important gigs, it is also true that most of the perps were related to that star either by blood or through familial relationship.

Kinda like murder, if someone kills you, they usually loved you or were related to you...

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Just before the lockdown hit, I had posted on Craigslist for a couple of musicians to form an ensemble with me (guitar/vocals) and my drummer. I had a few responses, but only one sounded promising.....a bassist/vocalist who liked the sound of my band premise. I also wanted a saxophone player who could do at least back-up vocals......NO ONE responded to that part. Of course, everything got shut down, and I never even got to meet or audition the bassist, but I'm still hoping.
    In general, Craigslist isn't my idea of a good place to find musicians, but I thought I'd give it a try.

gregulator450 likes this.
  20. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

I'll add that in my experience often times the venue will shoot a brief video and share it on social media and 'advertise' the next gig. They benefit from your gigs if you fill seats.

brogh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.