1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Intermittent hiss/static problem

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rdwhitti, Apr 16, 2016.

1. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

My new Blues Deluxe occasionally will start to quietly hiss and create a sort of static sound, even with nothing plugged in. It happens on both channels and does not seem to affect the guitar sound, as far as I can tell. Also none of the amp's controls seem to have any effect on it. Sometimes it goes away on its own, sometimes bumping the cabinet will make it stop. I have tried wiggling and reseating the tubes with no difference. I have heard a lot of complaints about reliability with these Hot Rod series of amp and perhaps I am experiencing that. It is within my return window but I really don't want to have to return it if is something simple. Any ideas?

2. Post-HK

Post-HK Tele-Meister

Try moving your preamp tubes around and see if that helps - i.e. swap v1 and v3, v2 and v3 - might have a noisy one.

3. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.

4. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Well it never did it today at all, so I never got a chance to try moving tubes around. It must have known and was on its best behavior!

5. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Return it and exchange it for another.

6. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

I opened it up about a week ago and reseated the tubes (one power tube was hanging half out) and the noise is now much less often and quieter when it does happen. I have some new preamp tubes that I may put in just to see if that does anything (and maybe play around with various combinations), but it seems much better and I am really liking this amp the more I play it and get used to its controls with the exception of the incredibly weak reverb (and of course no vibrato). This was the only one they had at GC in lacquered tweed and they no longer have the BD at all on the GC website (and neither do some other retailers); Fender may have discontinued the model, I am not sure.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  7. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

I did, got a DRRI and I love it! Should have gotten this one first thing instead of messing around. Oh well, at least I got to try out a few different amps! I just hope nothing happens to this one.

8. Les Dodat

Les Dodat NEW MEMBER!

I bought a 2014 Blues Deluxe off eBay for $500 it had just a small crackle and hiss but it has gotten worse. I put a Fromel mod kit in it and a Celestion g12H. it sounded awesome rich clean and sparkly for about 3 minutes all the bass mid treble and second chanel worked great then the crackle hiss thingie started, bass control is almost non existent except at 3 which increases the volume a little??

I bought all new tubes the crackle static got a little louder. I tapped all over the board the interconnect cables with a chop stick no change still random crackle and static. Its driving me nuts!!!.

I talked to a tech in Nevada he said its likely a tube socket connector that needs to be retensioned. To re tension use the smallest Jeweler's screw driver slip it below the bell of the socket and give it a 1/8th twist to retension the connectors. Next spray some DeOx contact cleaner in the socket and insert tube in and out a couple of times to clean it. check for cold solder joints or cracks around all the components around the tube. Those cheapo gray interconnect flex cables are a known breakage point as well. Here is the web site for the tube socket technique http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=171

I'm going to try it tomorrow morning in the daylight. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  9. Les Dodat

Les Dodat NEW MEMBER!

By the way, I have a 2012 Deluxe Reverb Reissue (DRRI) I hated because of the Icepicky thuddy sound.

They never sounded that way when I was a kid in 1965. So I put a eBay DRRI Frommel Supreme Mod kit in it. The kit replaces all the electrolytics with premium F&T caps changes the tone stack to warm it up.Then I swapped out that awful thuddy Eminence stock speaker for a Celestion G12H.

Now I dearly love that amp. its rich chimney sparkly warm and full. Great mod combination I highly recommend it. I even tried the world renowned hand made Ted Weber vintage 12 in but it didn't sound as good as the Celestion G12H 30 watt Anniversary model. Glen Frey of the Eagles uses the same Celestion Deluxe Reverb setup and some mods and tubes.

But right after I did the upgrades just putting the chassis back in the cabinet it sounded awful. Thin and raspy. I noticed one of the heaters in the 6v6 was dim if I wiggled with the tube position it would glow again and all the rich tone would come back. It's that tube socket tension thingie I'll betcha 10 bucks. with only one 6V6 working I was only getting half of the sine wave.

I just googled the tube tension thing tonight so I haven't tried it yet but it sure sounds like its the problem on these Fender reissue amps. Good luck

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sometimes it is as simple as a loose Tube Socket.

My old Champs do that once in a while.
    With the Power tuned-off, I reach back there and push'em back in, then they work great again.

11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

If it's brand new and on warranty, unfortunately it will need to go to a Fender service center - it's very unusual that you can simply exchange it unless you got an exchange policy where you bought it.

Down the line these types of problems are common and heat related in most cases - but new I'm guessing either a failed connector, tube problem or bad tube socket. I would not let it sit even though it's gone away for the moment. Best it be documented right away in case it's actually a tube - or something else only covered for a short while.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.