Interfaces

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Rock_Glenn, May 26, 2019.

1. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

I'm getting a new desktop and I've been looking into a new interface as well. I've been using an old focusrite saffire 6 USB, and I'm hoping to get something that's a little better.

The one caveat is I want something also to use as an "Audio card" for playing back my collection of FLAC's (Probably through MusicBee into powered monitors) So something with a better sound card than stock Dell Optiplex.

I only need one input as I hardly ever do multiple mics any more.

USB 2.0, though I'm willing to upgrade to firewire or 3.0 if necessary.

I see people suggest interfaces, but playback is hardly mentioned.

Recommendations?

2. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

If your a Saffire does 24/96 and has current stable drivers for the OS you will use (win 10 ?) there may be no need to get anything new as there has been little improvement in the last 10 years.

3. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

Yes Win 10 x64. I'm sure I can make the drivers work, even though the unit is pushing ten years old. But then again, it's nearly ten years old...

I've been using 32 bit windows, so any shortcomings I've experienced could be based on a lack of RAM.

You're saying there's not much difference between the old focusrite and the newer?

Also budget, if I get a new interface is 200-300.

4. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

The dreaded B word -- Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 is pretty darn loaded, for like $279. I hear Behringer has cleaned up their act and is substantially more reliable these days. Certainly, their customer service seems to be pretty earnest, judging by their presence on recording gear forums. As a person of limited means and decidedly non professional needs, I'd get one of these if I were in the market.

5. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

The one and two track versions of that are dirt cheap, I'm assuming you're a drummer but the 8-track would be useless for me (my drummer has his own interface).

Would I gain much getting a dirt cheap 2 track like this? Seems a lot like the interface I have, though I see that they throw the word "audiophile" around on the description.

6. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

I doubt there is an audible difference, especially if you do not have fancier monitors (at least $2-3k for a pair) and an acoustically "cooperating" room.

However, the old one won't play back hi-res 24/96 files, if that's what you are looking for. 24/48 is the maximum it will do. But if you are playing back mp3 or wav/CD spec (16/44.1) you should be fine.

The key issue is the stability of the drivers. This you have to to try and determine by yourself.

7. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

Gotcha, I've thought about going straight up audiophile with the playback. I have a 2TB harddrive on the way, so 24/96 would be doable. (I plan on re-ripping all my CD's to FLAC.)

But... I don't envision myself spending that much on monitors, though my room is a great listening environment, as well as for solo guitar work.

so I guess I have to decide between 16/44.1, 24/48 or 24/96 and go from there.

I doubt I'll hear the difference though.

I'm worried about the USB1.1 vs the potential to upgrade to USB2, with enough tracks running in Reaper, I sometimes get static on my guitar tracks through the USB6. I've thought it might just be a lack of RAM, but could it be the speed on the USB1.1 ?

8. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

I would check if the saffire has a soft upgrade from usb 1.1 to usb 2.

Lots of ram helps too. I have 32gig ram running on an i7 and an sdd + 7200rpm hdd (a slower hdd can cause problems - crackle). This with Reaper. The interface is an echo layla from prehistory. It is excellent, the entire setup never gave me any pops or static. Also had an ESI Julia (excellent) and and emu404 (so-so, sounded fine but drivers were no good for vista).

I have no experience with RME but they get lots of love. Audient has good reviews. Focusrite seems to be the most popular interface these days, there must be a good reason besided price.

9. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.