1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Interface/DAW question...sorta

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mission6_OG, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

So I got my PreSonus in today. Registered my interface and was excited to play around with my new toy. But to my surprise, my MacBook Air is slightly too old and unable to install the new operating system required to upload the software to record and edit music.

So here is what I am thinking and I want to get you guys expert and always helpful opinions/thoughts/and set ups. My idea is just get something new that is more useful and would also make my recordings easier to record. Those options would be an iPad/tablet of some sort or another MacBook/laptop That is more up to date. Now, I do not use any of my computers for anything other than looking up YouTube videos and googling stuff. So I don’t want to spend much at all. So what are your thoughts and ideas?

2. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Have you looked on the PreSonus website for guidance? You might try finding older versions of the software that are compatible with you Mac. The PreSonus might work with them.

3. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

How old is your current MacBook? I'm on a late 2012 mini upstairs and a mid 2011 downstairs, and both are able to be on the most current OS. I'd personally recommend a used but more up to date Macbook.

Mission6_OG likes this.
  4. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Afflicted

why don't you use the GarageBand DAW already on your MacBook instead of the software that comes w/ the interface?

Mission6_OG and Peegoo like this.
  5. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I just ran into a similar issue yesterday, I was talking with a Sweetwater person regarding the Focusrite Scarlett interface series and what software bundles come with them, and it would appear that my old (2009) MacBookPro is not buff enough to handle the softwares. I could try to find older, compatible software versions as suggested by by Slim Chance; however maybe it's time for a new(er) laptop anyway ....

6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The bundled DAW is certainly not the only option.

Reaper, the originally installed Garageband, etc. should work. Possibly Bandlab in a chrome browser.

What model of Apple is it? You can find out from the Apple icon.

7. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

Well even garage band required an updated version of the OS I have on my laptop. We have a Mac desktop that is old as well. But I do believe it is updated that I can run anything I want and it does already have garage band. But the desktop is SLOOOOW. I am not exactly computer savvy at all. I would like to figure out how to make the desktop faster regardless. But the misses is going to have to go through her 1800000000 pictures she has on there and save them to the cloud or something and then get them off of there. I’m pretty sure tgat is what is making it so slow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.