Interesting weather

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by d barham, Aug 7, 2019.

1. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

50351931-FE5A-4E5C-B3DB-D7E6A99C36B5.jpeg interesting clouds moving in this morning while I was checking cows. Looked a lot more dramatic in person. Every farmer loves rain in August.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

As long as there's no tornado connected, I think you should be OK.

3. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Derecho

This front came in a few weeks ago. Not as scary as it looked.
    IMG_20190720_175800729_HDR~01.jpg

Straydogger, Shuster and d barham like this.
  4. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Coolio.
    All we get is hot.

Mark

d barham and Shuster like this.
  5. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Last week's auntie em storm sky. Lost power 2 days. Watching tornado on news from today. Charging all phones and filled all cars looking at tonight's forecast. Hurricane Sandy Syndrome.

20190722_203636.jpg

6. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Bring it to Texas!!

d barham likes this.
  7. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Our pastures could use a little more rain than we got . But no more flooding please.

8. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I’m farming grass down here’s! Not the good kine either:(

I cut it three days ago and it could stand being cut today. I can handle once a week this time of year, but it’s been so wet it just grows and grows.

On the plus side, it’s been lots cooler. We actually have measurable portions of a day under 80, when usually that’s about the low for the day, and at that just for a few minutes before dawn. Our evenings (like now) are beautiful. Had a huge double rainbow at ~7:30 the other night, followed by a spectacular sunset.

d barham likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Roll clouds. Some are spectacular and I've seen them at sea. SOmetimes at the leading edge of a front coming in. Here's a cool one:
    [​IMG]

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Don't show this to Toto'sDad! He'll take it as further evidence.

d barham likes this.
  11. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

A couple of years ago across from my home. Never even rained.

100_2881.jpg

12. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Must correct. Picture first posted was TWO weeks ago when a crazy front came through to break the 100+ heat wave. LAST week we were supposed to play a gig outdoors but crazy storms rolled through, again causing power outages and canceling the event. THIS picture was from said event LAST year, when this rolled through during the 3rd song and blew the stage apart, canceling. Mother Nature is pissed!

DOL storm 2018.jpg

13. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I’m pretty sure there’s UFOs in there. Better count your cows again...

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, that was weird the way everything had dried out in Central Missouri, but the Highway Bridges across the Missouri River from St. Joseph almost all the way to Omaha were still closed (due to high water or the aftermath).

15. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Since the 3rd week of June, we have had .01 inch of precipitation. Not looking good for a while yet.

We've got a wild fire going that was under 1000 acres yesterday and has gone to over 70,000 acres today.

16. boris bubbanov

I had St. Augustine grass before Katrina. But the salty effluent killed that and it took a decade to come back.

Now my lawn is in that sweet spot, where it is almost all St. Aug (and doesn't grow fast or tall) but it isn't ridiculously thick so as to destroy the motor of a cheap lawn mower. Weeds and vines that bedeviled me are being arrested.

But in another few years, it will get thick like that. Maybe I will hire someone to cut it - or better yet, sell something.

17. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I quit irrigating a long time ago, so the only st aug I have left is residual. I have a lot of native plants and other things that don’t require extra water or fertilizer. My “grass” is mainly whatever green crap grows in the open areas of my property. It still grows fast!

Mike SS likes this.
  18. boris bubbanov

Yeah, I had forgotten how many FL municipalities and others needing to dispose of treated water, like to distribute this stinky unfinished water over vast expanses of lawn. And all the catchment basins filled with lawngrasses, there to catch the abundant rainfall in Florida.

In Louisiana, those who irrigate tend to prefer bermudagrass, centipede and zoysia. The idea with the St. Aug is, it takes care of itself and the main problem is those big brown spots that some lawns see.

But in some instances (due to heavy shade, soil type) we see sedges and nutgrass, even ophiopogon in place of St. Aug. But none of these alternatives really choke out annuals and plants that spread by tendrils and underground leads. St Augustine is the common "end state" or default lawn result one sees. I don't irrigate. I think waste water is mostly treated and dumped in the Mississippi River.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That type of weather rolling through has become more and more common by me and seems tied to having more rain in small or disastrous storms than steady rain.

My home is near the USGS water data center many rely on - ag and river runners. Some there are in my bike posse. Those guys and a gal plus a climate professor I know have confirmed this is not my imagination.

We're coming close to the date a year ago when a storm rolling through created disastrous flooding and property damage and loss of life.

20. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Missouri River is still backed up here, and a good many places are still under water. Last weekend a few bridges opened back up, including Highway 2 out of Nebraska City making it possible to dispatch a tire service truck to attend to one of my driver's sitting in Percival, IA. I asked the driver why he just didn't go to the Sapp Brother's truck stop that was right down the road from him, and he told me it was still under water.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.