Interesting video by Rick Beato about string gauge.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thin white duke, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

To my ears rolling off highs on the amp seems to affect highs that aren't affected by rolling off the tone on the guitar, and different frequencies are affected by gauge and brand of string, as well as speaker and pickup choice. Yes, there is some overlap, but not all high frequencies are affected equally or in some cases, at all. That's why I use these different tools in different ways for different reasons. If the tone knob on the amp or guitar were enough by themselves, then I'd never have needed to work with pickups, strings, speakers, pickup height to get things dialed in. Playing a telecaster is a never ending battle with high frequencies, at least for me.

assessor likes this.
  2. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

I normally use 10-46 on Telecasters and Strats, 10-52 on Gibson scale (24 3/4) guitars. I also tend to play with a much cleaner tone than what was used in the video.

One thing they didn't mention: if you're playing an archtop with a floating bridge you pretty much have to use heavier strings, unless you are willing to pin the bridge down (especially if you're using a Bigsby). Otherwise, there won't be enough tension to keep the bridge from moving around.

2 Headed Goat and bgmacaw like this.
  3. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Useless..... we’re not hearing the strings, we are hearing preamp distortion and the compression that comes with it along with the changes in attack.

Yes string gauge matters... but this is incomplete illustration, like using a chalkboard to evaluate mechanical pencil lead.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones, Marquee Moon and DavidP like this.
  4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sitting around the house/studio: 9's would probably be fine.

Live: A couple of adult beverages and the 9's would be sorely out of tune.

I'm not against experimentation, I've used all sorts of gauge configurations.

I'll stick with the D'Addario EXL 110's. The EXL 120+ aren't too bad. I've used those on occasion.

It just boils down to use what "YOU" want.

And Mr. Beato can use what ever he wants.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like tone on this strat fitted with 11s. I think he's be playing differently on 9's and the tone would obviously change.

jsalvaggio and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  6. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

if you use 9s or 11's on an open g, and just hit it hard, it will definitely sound different imo. then again they are using humbuckers and a marshall. I hear the difference when using fenders.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  7. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

+1!!! (FWIW, 10-46 on strats/teles, and 11-49 on Gibsons etc. work for me)

gregulator450 and Modman68 like this.
  8. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

I've used 9,10,11,12

9 too thin and rubbery, no fight
    10 just right
    11 & 12 sound great but too much of a battle

I guess I'm a hard strummer, 9s on a Strat
    bounce back at the bridge and actually hurt
    my strumming paw

9. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use EXL 110 on all my electrics. It’s a good compromise for me, they’re readily available, and they suit my playing. I switch regularly between electric and acoustic, and my acoustics are strung with .012-.053 for the 6 string, and .010-.047 for the 12. If I went any lighter on the electrics, my hamfisted-ness would start to show. Besides, I sometimes break the .008 6th string on my 12, just strumming. Clearly I can’t be trusted with something that fragile.

As for the video, the only way the comparisons would make sense for me is if those dudes were handing ME guitars with different gauge strings to compare. What they prefer has little bearing on my playing.

EDIT: The video kinda makes a bad start with the title. I may be a hack player, but I’ve been one for 45 years. Go ahead and tell me I might be using the wrong strings, but don’t tell me I probably am. And I never used an Ernie Ball set I liked, so I stopped years ago.

fuzzjunkie and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  10. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

When doing serious recording I favor 10's on electric, seems to help with tuning stability and with reining in any sloppiness in my playing. When performing live can afford to be more loose and use 9's. The videos have me intrigued though and I may give 8's a go just to feel the difference.

11. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

My observation has always been that thicker strings, all else being equal, tend to emphasize the fundamental and de-emphasize attack.

I suspect sustain was stronger on heavier gauges, but I never tested that in a reliable fashion.

I used to be a 12 guy on my tele, but switched to 10’s because they appear to have more upper harmonic content and better attack, which I needed in my current project.

I went back up to 11’s on my Gretsch, but that was purely a feel issue. The filtertron has plenty of sparkle and my vibrio-king has a treble knob if I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

My secret for that... Old strings. I keep my 11's as old as I can. Never change a string until they break or the wound unwounds over the frets

Regarding to fight the strings, I play in an acustic duo and I use 13's (plain third).... Play daily... so, 11's in a Tele is soft

SamIV likes this.
  13. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

lol no. just no.

14. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Don’t let them scare you 12-52 is a perfectly good set of strings

Although after playing them for a decade or so everything I play with 10’s or 9’s goes out of tune without modifying my technique

Go with what ever you want that’s why it’s all personal preference

15. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I use 9-46, bit I think I might try Regular Slinkies, the wound strings seem a little overpowering sometimes.

16. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

No! No! No!
    The real “classic” is 12-52 with a wound G before everyone started throwing out there low Es and putting banjo strings on top this type of behavior makes me sad ;)

jsalvaggio likes this.
  17. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

The argument they presented in that video was that for a tighter low end, one should use a lighter gauge string - if one plays with humbuckers through a high gain Marshall type amp. Kind of a useless video, if you are not playing a Les Paul through a cranked Marshall.

If they really wanted to make an informative video about string gauges, they should have at least spent some time with single coils through a cleaner amp. I want my 16 minutes back...

BigDaddyLH, fuzzjunkie and Modman68 like this.
  18. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I don't know really, i won't put the 0.9 but now i'm curious with 0.10, not because of the sound but i really enojed a Les Paul copy that i've tried a couple of weeks ago that with 0.10 on.

About the tuning it shouldn't be a big issue, i don't do too much bending with the es 335.

You mentioned the wound G in another comment, i never tried it, do you like it ? what makes you choose a wound G ?
    Thanks.

19. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I never watched these videos even if it was circulating a lot on facebook groups I’m in.

to me feel is more important and I just happen to like the feel of 11’s On electric guitars no matter what scale.

bottom line is, use and play whatever you like! Use 5’s if it even exists!

20. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I haven’t seen anyone else mention this, but anything lighter than 10 doesn’t hold up to my brutal bending. Is this an issue for anyone else here? POP!!!!

DavidP and fuzzjunkie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.