Interesting video by Rick Beato about string gauge.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thin white duke, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

So true...

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The big takeaway is that string gauge does make a difference in tone. Whenever there is a variable in any aspect of the signal chain, there are going to be people who like it and those who don’t.

I like the format that he used. I feel it better demonstrated the different gauges in a way that allowed me to process it. What I would have appreciated is a cleaner rest of the signal. Single coils and a clean amp make the slightest differences more obvious IMO.

Even if the strings sounded identical, I would still stick with 11s on all my guitars because I like the way they feel. I do tend to muscle chords a little and the heavier strings are less prone to squeezing sharp. Maybe I should try a set of 9s on one guitar to see if it makes me finger my chords more lightly, and not over bend. The fizz factor does concern me though, and I definitely heard it despite YouTube compression.

3. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

Last month I switched from 9~42 to 8~40's. Sold!!!!! I love these things and will probably hang with them for the time being. Effortless bending, nice light touch, seems to add more to my pedal sounds as well. Sign me up.

4. Thin white duke

Nice one, i've never tried the 0.8, the lighter i've tried are the 0.9 many years ago, probably 0.8 are too thin for me..:):):)

5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Decimal places matter, folks.

Dan German, SuprHtr and AAT65 like this.
  6. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister

I switched to TENS years ago because my nines Broke to often, No Problem since

Velorex

El Marin, Kebmel, MattyK-USA and 2 others like this.
  7. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I think one poster has had the decimal right... I’d like to see the others play a guitar with a bottom E-string half an inch across!!
    Better just to skip the decimal completely, give the string diameter in mil (thou): 9s, 10s....

LutherBurger likes this.
  8. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I tried the Dunlop Billy G. Mexican Lottery 7-38s, they were just ridiculous , I couldn't even feel the unwound strings.

I see now that they changed the branding, someone must have gotten offended by the name, I still have a few sets, maybe they will be collector's items.

Fretting out and kuvash like this.
  9. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Gibbons, Van Halen... All 8s or 9s (Was Billy always 7s?) in their heyday weren’t they?

I might give 8s a try for fun. I tend to whack the low strings a bit hard though, so 10s seem to be the compromise. Maybe I’m selecting string gauge based on bad technique rather than anything else!

LutherBurger likes this.
  10. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

For years I used bigger sttings because big sttings = big tone, or so I was told. Pretty recently I had stepped down to lighter strings and it is has been far more comfortable to me. And I don't notice any appreciable difference in sound to my hack ear.

Thin white duke likes this.
  11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I use 10s, too. With my GI Joe kung-fu grip, playing 8s is out of the question.

12. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Eagle Eyes to match? :D

LutherBurger likes this.
  13. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

This was really surprising! And I can hear the difference for sure and I'm not a super savvy sound guy at all.

I was in the camp that I thought heavier strings sounded better and that I was a "wimpy" player using nines and tensI

Wonder ift same holds true for acoustic?

Would be great to see him do something similar for that.

Great post

KC

14. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

The good
    There is a lot of value in establishing the fact that thinner strings have a different sound than thicker strings especially in the low end.

The bad
    Saying that thinner strings are better (period) on the other hand has a lot less value. Both the beato vid and this vid only focuses on the advantages of thinner strings but totally ignore the disadvantages.

OK, so thinner strings have a better low end, but do they have a better high end? :D

And also .. you know the mid low end thing .. You could also just adjust the eq on your amp.

Yes you can bend strings easier, but nowhere do they mention that you also have a right hand that looses "bounce" from the strings thus making picking harder. It's a trade off. I play 9s on my fenders and not 8s because of feel and not sound.

Also most of their example and in the case of the beato vid all of their example are with high gain, which gives a large chunk of compression to your sound. People that play clean going for a more acoustic sound without compression again prefer heavier string (There is a reason that jazzers tend to use stuff like 13s)

The ugly
    I don't know why they have to push a 'better' statement. Or rather I do. It's a business and Beato makes a living selling a story that he knows better than you what is right or what is wrong. So his stuff can be rather one sided in order to push a narrative of his genious

Fretting out, Mad Kiwi, FLHT and 2 others like this.
  15. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

I've used every gauge made including the 7s' ! Which I think for people with hand injuries or a very light touch may work. As far as good or bad tone there is less volume typically with smaller gauges, Less Metal so the sound is smaller , but that being said the guitar always sounded the same in terms of tone.

I currently use 10s sometimes 11 as my hands are very strong. I liked the playability of lighter gauges , but you usually have to use a lot of gain to thicken the tone up with 9's and lighter gauges and have somewhat of a hotter pickup . It's not a bad thing, it's just a different set up and approach to how you play strings that light . Different amp settings ect.

Finding what works for you is an individual journey and takes some experimentation . Which is why we enjoy it so much . It's a never ending journey .

16. Thin white duke

Thanks...

17. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I like 12s. I'm amazed that people can play such light gauges, I really am. Lighter gauges, for me, are constantly going out of tune, and I feel like I get less expressive range because they are so easy to hit too hard. Admittedly my style is not based on lots of deep bends, so I don't miss those. Aside from tuning stability, they rarely break.

With acoustics I find that different tops respond differently to string pressure/tension. Some tops respond better with less tension, some with more

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Fretting out, El Marin and Bones like this.
  18. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

Before I had chosen a favorite string - as otherwise, why would I be trying different strings? - to try something that a favorite player used is legit. I stuck with them because then *I* liked them too. Must I explain that? Thanks.

gregulator450 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  19. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

ive been using 8s for years!

Thin white duke likes this.
  20. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I use 9s lighter touch less fret wear. My opinion anyway.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.