Interesting Process

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Welp, you said you wanted a hand-crafted instrument . . .
I dare you to say otherwise.
@preeb and @Freeman Keller , however, can talk all the smack they want (but I suspect they wont)
Peace - Deeve

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That's pretty primitive. My first guitar was probably similar from Mexico 50 years ago. It was good for slide when I got it home. There's something to be said for environmental controls, molds, precision, and solid wood. That said, when you need a guitar, you need a guitar. I've always said guitarmaking is the only artform where you end up being compared to a manufactured item.

Last edited:

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
From what I've seen, the entire Indian musical instrument industry is basically cottage industries. I read up on the harmonium industry in India and it is just like this: built on the floor by artisans. There are small Western distributors going to India and establishing relationships with builders and offering them premiums to bring harmonium construction, and particularly finishing, up to western tastes. Basically, they offer the Indian builders premiums to use better wood and reeds and finishing procedures. One guy brings them into the U.S. and then invests hours balancing the actions and reeds and tuning them to A440. His website is HERE. That's been fascinating to watch.

Bob