interesting opinions for the top load argument (video) jimmy page telecasters reviewed by andertons

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ben smith, Dec 6, 2019.

1. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

you have all probably seen this before but 8 minutes in they have an interesting opinion on top loading

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    nojazzhere and Chunkocaster like this.
  2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

They are remarkably ignorant about the topload.

That Cal Webway and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That was a little painful watching those two bozos, anyone wanting to cut to the chase, slide up to a tad over 8 min. :lol:

So as with most of these things we ALL can go on and on and on about..................opinions are subjective.

happy pickin'

That Cal Webway likes this.
  4. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

yeah i guess they are bozos, i just thought maybe it was interesting to see an opinion from people who didn't know much about it but heard something different in the sound? **** it

Fretting out, tintag27 and peterbee like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

WOW!.....I thought I was gonna like this until around the eight minute point, when he looks at the top-load bridge and says, "I haven't really seen this before, but....". A guitar nerd who's not aware of a top-load Tele????? Plus, they attribute that to a "jangly" sound?
    There's an inherent problem with comparing one top-load Tele to another string-through one....and that is they are DIFFERENT GUITARS!!!!!!! On my #1, I have had four or five different bridges, both top-load and string-through, with the same neck, pickups, pots and switch, strings, and even cable to the amp, and there's not enough difference in sound between them to even try and discuss it. I know people who say it sounds different and even FEELS different, but I (respectfully) have to call "hogwash". But for these two guys (in the video) to say it's the reason a guitar has "jangle" is just foolish.
    OK....now continue your discussions......;)

6. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

I've had a top loader tele and string thru teles. I didn't notice much difference.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Talktalktalk blow-offs

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Jeff Beck gave it to Page to apologise for leaving the Yardbirds in the lurch.

If Beck had given him a 57 or 59/60 this argument would be a moot point.

Fender made one year between 1950 and 1983 with Toploaders. All the other years with string-through. So any real difference? Maybe, maybe not. But other than being on one guitar Page played and made famous, it's inconsequential.

Page's allegedly for a time during New Yardbirds/Zep 1 had a nonfunctional bridge pickup. I don't think many of us would tolerate a guitar like that very long these days.

Sometimes, the art is the artist, not what they used. Sometimes, the art is achieved in spite of the brush.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. vintagelove

vintagelove Tele-Meister

I can 100% assure you it changes both the sound and the playability.

Unfortunately, the improvement in playability comes at a slight negative to the tone, at least to my preference. That being said, I opt for the better playability.

10. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

There’s a great history of the guitar on reverb apparently it belonged to one of Jeff becks first band mates an Jeff just had to have it , I can’t remember if it was clear how Jeff gained it from the band mate

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jimmy Page tried to smash a Telecaster in my city when he played so badly. I taught a girl who's grandpa ,
    a hired scaffolder on the stage set up, picked up the guitar and took it away and had it fixed. I wonder if it was the 59 toploader. She loves it and plays Ramones songs on it.

12. Tonetele

Too true. Jim Campilongo plays a 59 toploader and there's no more " jangle" in his , he just plays it well.

13. Tonetele

Good thing "The Captain" is a savvy business person and salesman who inherited a nice little empire right on time with the internet.

Si G X and 650thunderbird like this.
  14. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

I've seen these guys before, and they're not so bad - a little goofy, but they seem to love their music and their guitars. So I was letting them slide about their lack of knowledge pertaining to Tele bridge configurations. Then, they started talking about painting guitars... First: "Eric Clapton painted 'his' SG." Uhh, no.... And then, they couldn't think of other guitar players that painted theirs. Let's see - I remember some British guy painting his Sonic Blue Strat, didn't he and his band make a couple of hit records?! And I think there was some guy that painted his Strat and then burned it at Monterey - can't think of his name right now...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.