Interesting new swiss army knife pedal from Tech21

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by lupowitz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

It sounds terrific if I use it sans-amplifier. No hiss at all then.

2. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Idea: The concept is too good to make just one variation. Now that they made the RK signature I could imagine they could also make genre-suited flyrigs, like a blues/jazz rig, a heavy rig etc. with the preamp (sansamp) and the overdrive-part suited for the specific style. They make like 7 styles of overdrives so why not just use the different circuits?
    Or just do it with a chip the user can change?

I also wonder if a gifted technician could just mod the overdrive. After all it is analog technology, isn't it?

3. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Just an FYI - I have an incredible pedal board. The FR5 is for my gig bag. It's a backup and a simple board for when I don't want to pull out the main one. For what it is - it's excellent.

4. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

I had one for a while. I thought it was great, but didn't have a need for it so it went to Craigslist. I got lots of hiss with the provided power supply. Using a different power supply I had lying around, got no hiss at all. Front of an amp, direct to pa, direct recording...no hiss.

5. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Tried it last night with the band - straight into mixer to two bose L1. Sounds good, but we all agreed that there was something missing - punch, dynamics, whatever you might call it. Our drummer said, it would always sound compressed. Again with the FR I had some hiss from the boost, while the sansamp and plexy worked OK in this application/context. My impression was the same I had when fooling around with the unit in my music room. I used a blues jr. and EHX soulfood for the second half of the rehearsal and everybody liked it better. Better dynamics. A bit like the difference between vinyl and mp3. And no hiss with "the real thing" ... I'll return the FR today. Still I'd say it might be a great unit for someone else who wants a more "produced" tone with a bit of compression and needs the lifesaver-aspect more than I do. For our rootsy kind of music the tube amp wins. I've got to add that all the guys in the bands are kind of suckers for "the real thing", our bass player's business is repairing old Rhodes and Wurlitzer Pianos and tube amps. His statement: "Sounds good for a while, but it is like a tempest in a teapot (Sturm im Wasserglas)."

6. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I just tried mine out for the first time- got it on sale for 15% discount. I love it! I travel a lot and this thing does a great job with small amps/earphones or plugged into a PA system. I just jam with friends, show up to parties, etc. I wouldn't be afraid to take this anywhere and have a good sound with my tele- this is way better than plugging straight in to a PA or having a bunch of pedals! I'm surprised by the range of tones and the quality.

7. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

A question for you more technically savvy folks. How does the amp/speaker emulation in something like this compare to that found in a modeling amp like the mustang series? I know that the mustang has way more settings/models etc, but do they operate under the same principle?

8. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

The Fly Rig works like all other Tech 21 products. They are all-analog devices (except for the digital delay and digital reverb circuits). The Sansamp circuit and the Plexi circuit are all analog. That's why Tech 21 avoids the use of the term "modeler", but prefers instead to call their circuits "emulators".

The Mustang amps are digital modelers, which use software and algorithms to "model" amps and amp components. It's a very different design approach. Modelers are essentially computers integrated with audio amps and speakers. The Mustangs are closer in design and concept to the Line6 products, the Vox Valvetronics gear, Roland Cube amps, etc.

Analog emulators such as the Tech 21 products can never have the same number of features and settings as the digital modelers because they can use programming to change things to an almost infinite degree.

9. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Thank you for that explanation. So would you say that the Tech 21 Character series does a better job of capturing specific amp tones than a modeler amp? Using the T21 Blonde and The Mustang as an example.

10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

My understanding is that we are reaching a key point where the two lines on the quality vs. time graph cross. Imagine a graph with time on the x axis and quality of sound on the y axis. The red line is analog emulation such as Tech21 SansAmp. The blue line is digital emulation such as you find in Fender Mustang, Line 6 POD, various computer software, etc. As you move to the right on the graph both lines have a positive slope-- over time everyone keeps improving so that all sounds available sound more and more like the "real thing". But for a long time SansAmp and their ilk were comfortably above in sound quality compared to their digital competitors. But as the sound chips have improved and the software has improved I believe the two lines have crossed and now the blue line is above the red line-- digital modeling has become superior to analog modeling. More importantly the slope of the blue line has increased-- it's are getting better faster and faster-- while the red line representing analog based emulation has pretty much leveled off.

Just my humble opinion. I also don't believe that either line has quite reached the equivalent of "the real thing", at least in terms of live playing on stage. Close but no cigar as others have said. Recording is another story-- I've recorded using even something as simple as a fairly early generation Line 6 POD and it sounded quite fantastic. But that same POD just didn't cut it on stage whether into an amp or into a PA. But things have moved a long way and keep moving-- that blue line has a steep slope. More and more guys are saying that the digital modeling amps are getting the job done for them on stage. In three to five years we'll probably be to the point where you truly can't tell the difference in a blind test sitting in the audience maybe ten rows back from the stage.

11. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

I have one and I find that it works great straight into the board,, but not so great into my amp,, but I didn't buy it for that purpose.
    I use it once a week at a jam where everyone plugs 'straight into the board' (PA)
    and I like it fine. (no/minimal hiss)
    Previously had used various modellers/multi-effects but I just don't like that digital stuff.
    I think its a great little unit, got it used for $150.00...
    Of course,, I much prefer to play through my tube-amp. (Mesa TA-15 with a home-made 1 X 15 cab)
    The other guys like the sound too.....peace JP

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.