Interesting gig last night, B Bender worthy

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by T Prior, Jul 25, 2021.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

While I make no claims at being a premium Bender guy , none the less, I am a Bender guy .

I play duo gigs ( and big band gigs) with my long time friend and bandmate , he plays an acoustic thru the system and I bring out a Tele with a Bender. He's also a very capable Bender player. Last night was a duo gig. Its a rotation gig, small outdoor Coffee House / Craft Beer venue and usually brings in upwards to 100. , an engaged listening audience. Age group typically 20's to 70's.

Our set list runs the gambit of the decades, and I am always looking for a few phrases to PULL or Release the B pretty much in each song, as long as it fits and is not abrupt. Smooth accents. Last night I noticed several in attendance watching, actually watching me . It seemed they were wondering where those Bendy things were coming from.

We pulled out and played "You Ain't Goin Nowhere" and we talked about the Byrds, Gene, Clarence and the Bender. Then followed with Willin and then Aimie, we laughed and said they were all from the same era, and they are Bender dominant for us. It was kinda educational. At least those that were wondering now know what it is they heard.

Moral to the story, someone may be listening and wondering . Have fun with it, tell them what u got .

PLUS- we got the highest TIP JAR amount that we have ever rcvd. We made more in tips than the regular pay! :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    244300, Matt G, Tenderfoot and 7 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very cool!
    I’m a bender guy, too.
    Every so often, at my gigs I get guitar players watching me use my Hipshot.
    I’ve used them for almost 40 years.
    Benders still confuse and confound many players.
    I proselytize the Bender/Hipshot gospel.
    Unlike you, it never seems to affect the tip jar performance.
    Have you ever played gigs with your partner when you both used benders?
    That might be fun.
    I only know two other local B bender guys.
    One uses his constantly, the other is more like me.
    I try to use it judiciously.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have never seen a bender close-up in the wild. Arlo Guthrie used to tour with a band that called themselves Shenandoah. Their guitarist used a bender on Coming Into Los Angeles, and that was pretty cool.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

True. I've done it for thirty years in contemporary church contexts in Los Angeles, with only occasional TDPRI or Clarence White Forum or Gear Page get-togethers. I find I can use it the bender quite often in tasteful ways, and there's usually at least a few who will get it.

Matt G and T Prior like this.
  5. T Prior

Yes but not often. It requires a very special "ATTENTION" to listening and playing. We don't both go down the Bender road in the same songs. Remember, the Bender only works when and if we pull it ! :)

BUT there have been times when we added extended solos and did a trade off, Bender related.

I'm also a longtime steel player but these days we bring in another Steel player . There are times we mimic each other , point , counter point. We laugh because we are probably the only ones that even know it, that includes other band members too ! A few Emmons licks here and there on Steel or Guitar keeps us busy and self entertained ! :)

A year or so back we invited another guitar player to sit in with us, he's also a Bender player.

He said " why do you need me, you are already playing a Bender, you want two Bender players " ?

I responded " you don't have to pull the Bender, we want another guitar player".

GEESH ! that was easy !

We didn't hire him ! :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    brookdalebill likes this.
  6. Nishplayer

Nishplayer Tele-Meister

I'm now on my first B Bender....truly on a bender (yes I know a bad joke 'on a bender')....but that is what has happened....I played a friend's Fender Tele with a Parson/Green bender years ago and liked what one could do with a bender....but I hated the weight....besides back in those days I was more a Strat guy. BUT I loved the bender sound.

I loved Clarence White's flat picking and really got interested in his electric guitar playing with the Byrds....especially his use of the bender.

But it took me getting into Teles....and trying out lap steels too....to rekindle my earlier interest in benders....I tried to get a good young luthier up here to build one or just install a kit (I found a couple of choices)....I wasn't interested in a Hipshot or other form of bender....I wanted something like the Parsons/White....I researched as much as I could....and narrowed it down to a few choices....finally deciding on a Forrest Lee Junior bender....which I was preparing to have Forrest install for me when I found a Forrest Lee Junior B Bender installed Brad Paisley Road Worn Tele on Reverb....super light....and totally great B Bender.

I'm truly on a bender....even went as far (and as crazy) as create a B Bender playlist on Spotify (just over 15 hours of B Bender tunes)....

SO how far around the bend have I gone....ordered a custom double bender (B&G) from Forrest....a double bound 3 tone sunburst....white pearloid binding and pickguard...Booster Coil 3 pups with Turnstyle Switch.....and a slightly tinted maple neck.....and while I wait for that I'm playing my silver metallic B Bender for all its worth....

AND last week went to first jam in many many months....brought two Teles and two Strats....it was the Bender that caught almost everyone's attention (most trying to figure out where that sound was coming from I suppose)....and everyone wanted to know all about what a bender was....

SO much fun being on a bender....way too much fun....

7. T Prior

Yep , big fun ! When you turn it into on the spot creativity , little things, accents, here and there, you will be crowned KING !

Don't forget those phrases that RELEASE down to the natural note rather than pulling UP.

Kool on the Double Bender from Forrest. One of my primary Teles has a FL jr B Bender installed. Its Top shelf.

Have fun !

tp

Nishplayer and brookdalebill like this.
  8. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'd love to have a listen to that playlist!

9. Nishplayer

Nishplayer Tele-Meister

AlbertoMilanese likes this.
  10. Mur

Mur Friend of Leo's

Cool story there. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.