Interesting DAW file move...,

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by T Prior, Sep 21, 2019.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I'm certain others have done this but for me, no. I'm working with PT 12 but thats not important, just that its a DAW. I've gone back and started working on a project from 2016 which was never anything more than ruff. MY wife Bonnie has 2 or 3 scratch vocal tracks on that project.

So I have decided to re-do the 2016 project , which has always been on my to do list. it's Haggard tune. I re-tracked the entire tune with a fresh more simplistic approach, it didn't really take all that long to get the basic track down. But I needed the scratch vocal track and my wife was not available. AHHH.. IDEA ! I grabbed her vocal track from the previous project, layed it into the the new project, cut out what I didn't need and lo and behold , scratch vocal track is alive and well ! Now I can add my Guitar and Steel Guitar tracks to blend with the scratch vocal track, then she can come back later and sing again.

Bonnie listened to the NEW ruff track and said, "when did I sing on this new track" ? I replied, you didn't, but you did sing 3 years ago !

Now I have done multiple E Sessions where folks have sent me stuff and I added it to a track or sent them a file track, this is basically the same thing except everything is already in house. It didn't even have to leave the PC !

Side note, the old track was over 4 min , way too long , the new track is just over 3 min. Just right.

I wonder how many of us have incomplete projects sittin' around on a Hard Drive somewhere.

There is hope !

I'll post the finished track when completed . It will be part of a 6 song CD that we are now putting into production.

woodman and Steve 78 like this.
  2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I've got heaps of half done stuff, probably close 30 projects dating from last week back to 2016.

Also drop Bob's vocals in often as his health deteriorates and what we have can't be improved

3. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I've got one in particular, potential major work, I just can't finish off ... it's like I'm waiting for the right driftwood to wash up onshore! Anybody ever get those?

Jakeboy and Digital Larry like this.
  4. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Yep, don't feel alone

My problem is I hear guitar lines my geriatric fingers don't want to know about and I draw a blank finding alternatives.

5. woodman

My problem is that I hear these great symphonic passages in my head but have to wait for some alternative that'll work in the real world to occur!

6. T Prior

Yes, problem is I live 3 or 4 hours from the shore . And seeing that I am aging ( gently) if I drive 3 or 4 hours to the shore, by the time I get there I'll forgot why I went there in the first place.!

suthol, Digital Larry and mkdaws32 like this.
  7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Lots ;) but I haven't been recording much lately - my latest obsession is modding/restoring guitars.

8. woodman

:lol:

mkdaws32 likes this.
  9. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

It might help if I had some kind of diagnosis. Last July I went on vacation with a little iPad based recording setup, thinking I'd work on something I'd started a month earlier. Instead, something completely new came up, and I ALMOST finished it before going home. Now that I'm home, some other thing came from 30 years back and started yelling "me! me!" and so I started working on that... pretty common problem around here.

10. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

What does it need? PM me...maybe I can help....

11. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got both originals and covers dating from yesterday to 1994, transfers from DA88s and ADATs..

working on them in spurts..

but yeah...anything you think I might be helpful on let me know. PT 12 as well...StudioOne 3, Resper, Samplitude, whatever

12. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Got those? I built my empire on that method!

I call it, Catch and Release.

13. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

I have loads of songs on the Akai MG1212.

Stupid proprietary cassettes!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  14. T Prior

Years back when I moved to the DAW I spent hours transferring tracked cassette songs to the DAW. Then it dawned on me and I asked myself, why am I doing this ?

I came to an abrupt HARD STOP. Of the tunes I transferred to the DAW , I have listened to them or worked on them exactly ZERO times ! :(

studio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.