1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Interesting - Boss and JHS collaborate on new pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JBFatFingers, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

"The" Boss guy? That's a vast corporation, and the head of the company is most likely a native resident of Japan.

BigDaddyLH and artdecade like this.
  2. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Yes, that guy. The president of Boss. I just could not remember his name...Tokishiro or something. It's on the Boss website.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I listened to several reviews.
    Whether you like those two pedals or not, I'm very encouraged by this format. Look at it: it's two favored and well-liked circuits, in a single boss box. 2 for 1 in that format is one thing. But to have all of those switching and order options - IN THE STANDARD BOSS FORMAT - is very cool and exciting for me! Now that we know they are willing to make something like this happen, who's to say it won't happen more often.

The only price I've seen is $200. Not too bad IMO. I was expecting $300.

Cliffyg62 and dlc1953 like this.
  4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

If you haven't tried the SD-2, I suggest you give it a whirl. I think the lead channel is actually better than a Crunch Box (they both have LED clipping, so they aren't actually worlds apart in circuit structure). The crunch channel may be a little bit underwhelming for some, but a good foundation is there, and the pedal can be had for so cheap that just a few mods will get it to being a good pair with the distortion side.

The truth be told, I think the crunch and lead are good pairings in the SD-2, and oftentimes that isn't the case with 2-in-1 pedals (personally, I think a BD-2 and Crunch Box are not such a good combo).

...If nothing else, it'll give you a chance to try two circuits by Boss, in one box, for much less than $200.

[​IMG]
    Also, if you can get past the guitar this guy uses, he actually plays a lot of bluesy stuff on the crunch channel, and uses his vol knob to clean up the sound. Actually, he does the same thing with the lead channel. He actually basically sets the SD-2 to be 'always on,' and just toggles between crunch and lead. IMO, the video is ridiculously long, but he's really sold on the pedal's abilities, and had toured with 3 of them now, IIRC. I suggest you forward to ~3:15, where he starts using the crunch channel to play bluesy stuff w/a little bit of breakup, and/or ~6:30 for the lead channel, for the harder stuff.

...I think Boss already achieved success with the SD-2 - the latest collaboration with JHS is not anything new for them, IMO.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    karpis likes this.
  5. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

It's just more guff for people to throw their money at!

artdecade likes this.
  6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Oh yeah - sorry, forgot about that one. I've never had one, but I went through a "wish I had an SD-2" phase a year or two ago. And saw that video back then. I guess I had forgotten that it had already been done.

But I still don't think the SD-2 allow for series and parallel options.

7. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

I remember reading not too long ago that JHS and Keeley were doing a joint pedal venture, but I'm not sure if that pedal actually came out or not. I suppose this joint venture could have taken the place of the Keeley/JHS combo, but I'm almost positive that I read of the Keeley collaboration version very recently.

Did anybody else hear about this and whether or not it ever came about? Seems I read this recently enough that Boss couldn't have ended up being the "partner" due to the lead time in manufacturing and getting it to market.

8. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

It's not just with Boss either.I read a comment that the overdrive business is eating itself!

9. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

nvm

10. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

https://robertkeeley.com/product/SteakandEggs

11. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I don't really get JHS, they seem overhyped and overpriced and generally just blatant copies of other folks pedals, I only had one a JHS modded Boss SD1 and it didn't sound good at all ,I couldn't get rid of it fast enough!

artdecade and moosie like this.
  12. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

+1

I need to hear more, with a variety of guitars and pickups.

So far... Not impressed...

I guess, at least, at $199, it's no more expensive than anything else allegedly high end out there, and by that yardstick you are getting 2 pedals for the price of one.

I'm surprised they didn't call it a "Limited Edition" and charge $400 for it.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  13. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

I saw that it was going to cost $199, but I didn't see if anyone confirmed whether that was retail price or street. It's hard to imagine Boss charging that much for one of their dirt pedals, but i'm sure JHS would be threatened by a price that's lower than the original Angry Charlie.

14. ct_anthony

ct_anthony Tele-Meister

Why the hell is the pedal drawing 50ma? Digital switching (the order thing) ?!?

15. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

That's unlikely, IME. A higher current draw if regulation for DSP is needed would be explainable, but there are lots of pedals with all sorts of switching that aren't current hogs. There are more than a few TBP pedals that use relay switching, and they don't draw that much.

And if you took the current draw of the BD-2 and the MI Audio Crunch Box (or its predecessor, the Marshall Guvnor), or really any basic dual op amp drive box, and combined the two, you should only have a fraction of that.

...The only other thing I could imagine that's going on is that Boss got extra sophisticated with circuit biasing/stability/"channel isolation." Remember that the BD-2 is their own design, and it regulates much of the supply voltage down to 8VDC, with a bias supply of 4VDC, and there is further "bolstering" via both a transistor and the "unused half" of the op amp for the post-level bass boost. The Crunch Box is a rather crude circuit in comparison, has tons of amplitude gain, and wasn't originally designed with flip-flop/electronic switching in mind. Long story short, there's probably supplemental circuitry to eliminate "hash"/crosstalk from getting into either the bypassed signal path, or the BD-2's signal path.

One other thing that might lend clues - look at the current draw for any of the other 2-in-1 Boss drive boxes, particularly the ones that have at least one circuit that's capable of higher amplitude gain. Some may draw more current than may otherwise make sense, but 50 mA for a pedal that has just 2 op amps and roughly a dozen transistors still seems kind of ridiculous.

...I'm guessing there's a battery clip in this one? o_O

karpis likes this.
  16. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

50ma needed to power the ego over at JHS? :D

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What would be funny is if this were a $300 clone of a Boss pedal :lol:

artdecade likes this.
  18. dlc1953

dlc1953 Tele-Meister

Try this. Sounds pretty good to me!

ukepicker likes this.
  19. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Me thinks there are too many overdrive and distortion pedals on the market- all doing similar things and all sounding not unlike each other.

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Just hearing about this pedal makes me cringe. (A lot of it has to do with things I can't talk about on the forum)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.