Interesting article about Fender's current path

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Smoke Eater 41, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Interesting article. Supplements the the reading “The Stratocaster Chronicles” I am reading now. BTW a good read. I’m not an avid reader but find it holds my attention. The story of the Fender company continues to evolve while maintaining its roots. Thanks for posting.

2. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Some interesting stuff in the article, and obviously they need to change and adapt to the times, but marketing people always make me want to punch things. Usually the marketing people themselves:

“On the digital side we’re both creating new businesses and the businesses are synergistic to a core in the sense of helping group grow the entire industry.”

Yeesh...

What I found quite curious was the bit about music stores. It sounded like some of us complaining about them, but this was the company that relies on them to get the product to the customer. I’m no expert, but I think producers and their dealer network should be on the same page. Same chapter, at least.

String Tree likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Well done article. Thanks for posting. I'm impressed with Mooney's strategy. I suppose anything looks good during a growing economy, but it does seem like the guitar is coming back in the "pop" world and that is probably more significant.

4. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

I've got to look inside my guitars and see if they still have wax transistors in them - I think they are ruining my tone.

Digital Larry likes this.
  5. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

- “I describe a lot of the music stores as a club that you only get to join if you’re already in it,” Mooney said. The answer will be to educate buyers to feel more empowered when they go in and deal with the annoying sales clerk at the guitar store. -

There's definitely truth to this. People don't all respond to the same sales tactics they used to. A lot of people now want to be left alone to browse, whereas others want more interaction. I work events for my job where we sell our products, I make sure when setting up that I leave a way in for people that don't want to talk to anybody. I've definitely left music stores where I would have bought something because a clerk wouldn't leave me alone long enough to think and look at whats in the store.

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You would think Fender would try a bit more diversity in a saturated market. They keep trying new versions of Strats and Teles that are nothing more than pickup changes or subtle things like that.

Where are the carved top teles like Harley Benton makes?
    Where are the thicker hollow body's that Jazzers, rockabilly-ers might want?
    Where are the Clapton profile necks but with rosewood boards?

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The internet has probably done more to keep guitar sales alive and doing well.
    Instrument sales would be down across the board if only relying on what the music and entertainment industry chooses to promote.

8. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

Are there good Fender acoustics that I don't know about?

I can't imagine that there are ANY current Fender acoustics that a serious player would want.

All I ever see are the $99 Chinese **fenders**

fe971313026.jpg

9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

When corporate robots speak like that, I'm certain they have no idea what they are saying.

Dan German likes this.
  10. Theorage

Theorage Tele-Meister

Music is analog. Ultimately it must come out analog because our hearing is analog. Guitar is analog, and we love our analog outputs like spruce/mahogany resonating boxes or tube amps with alnico speakers.

Digital audio processes have become great tools. DAWs, DSPs, media/storage have become standard, but digital's weakness is that it quickly becomes obsolete. Around the corner is product that is better, faster, bigger, cheaper, smaller (all relative to Analog's absolute truth). Maybe that's a profitable thing for a manufacturer like Fender -- making product that quickly gets replaced, but guitarists resist and resent this model. We stay close to traditional guitar designs and foundational sounds. Line6 and Kemper can't exist without Tweeds/Blackfaces, Plexis, and AC10/15/30s. Digital will always be adjunctive to a guitarist.

If we guitarists embrace digital, we use it to augment/expand our Analog foundation. So Fender - we expect digital gizmos to be an investment that lasts like a Tele. Make them endure, support them (hello! FUSE software), expand their features, but stay grounded and connected to your core business -- analog. Otherwise, you've lost us, and someone else's Ones&Zeros will serve us better and/or cheaper.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If I can be the Devil's avocado for a minute, isn't planned obsolescence a classic marketing strategy?

maxvintage likes this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

Band name al--- too slow!

13. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

if it ain't broke don't fix it

14. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Not sure how well analog is being or will be 'accepted' by the up and comers, ie young-uns - millenials et al. when it comes to devices. Will another guitar hero emerge from the ethers and turns things on its head or is that too now all played out? I'm not in the loop these days tho seems to me that Ms. Swift's or Postie Malone's axe wielding skills ain't going to cut it for the time being.
    Kudos for Fender sorta thinking outside the box tho perhaps its going to take more than just marketing and/or digital gizmos to revive things...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

People that talk that Mess have never had to make a Sale face-to-face with a Customer.
    Or much of anyone for that matter.

vid1900 likes this.
  16. peeweepete

peeweepete TDPRI Member

Uhm, yeah, that's new.
    Wow, they designed it to be ergonomic! We've never seen that before on a Fender guitar, right?

And what's that about a hidden button in the volume knob? Oh, oh, oh, wait! I know! They should call it "S1 switch"! There you go.

The rest of the article was actually interesting to read but that quoted bit made me shiver.

17. BigDaddyLH

That is pretty bad. As for "the button", I would have preferred a 4-way switch. Simpler. The full original S-1 system did more, didn't it? Like give you an out-of-phase wiring?

peeweepete likes this.
  18. peeweepete

peeweepete TDPRI Member

No, at least on a Tele it works just like a 4 way switch if I'm not mistaken. Not sure about this system on a Strat.

Maybe I misread the article though? Combining or separating pickups? As in series or parallel mode? I am a bit confused.

19. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

I read somewhere that Fender make a million instruments a year, so where do they all end up? There must be so many gathering dust in bedrooms.

daddyplaysbass likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.