1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Interested in a hollow-body. Whatcha got?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by SixStringSlinger, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

2. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

Wulf likes this.
  3. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

Yeah, besides quality issues I'm at the point where I don't want to buy anything made in China if I can help it. I buy mostly used anyway though.

I've always been interested in the Japanese made Epiphones from the 70s and 80s but their prices are sky rocketing for some reason. I guess they're getting some of that "vintage" shine these days.

I wonder if in 30 years my Indonesian Squier 51 and Jet King will be valuable "vintage" guitars?

Wulf likes this.
  4. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

Never get rid of anything ! NEVER EVER NEVER !

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

hah! I totally forgot to mention what I have! The Ibanez George Benson is a killer guitar for the money... and hollow. Not a huge body, but not small. Thickish but not super thick! A work of art that plays as good as it looks. The Super 58 pickups are good too.
    [​IMG]

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

DSCF3612.JPG 60's MIJ was my first guitar and is still one of my favs. It's had a lot of work done to it over the years.

SixStringSlinger, Wulf and fishermike like this.
  7. driver8

driver8 Tele-Meister

Those Epi Swingsters look interesting - I never even knew they existed, learn something new every day, lol. I'm converting an Epi Joe Pass as we speak, with some single coil pickups and a bigsby, and at first glance I thought the Swingster was a converted JP. Looks like the same exact guitar body, neck & fretboard - maybe Epi is repurposing some old stock with new finish and hardware? The JPs are really nice guitars with fantastic necks, so if they are the same, they're definitely worth considering, imho

What are the pickups? I got what look to be equivalent of GFS Dream 90s for $20 on ebay, but the pups in the Swingsters might be worth looking into if these turn out to be junk.

SixStringSlinger and Wulf like this.
  8. driver8

driver8 Tele-Meister

Btw, I have an Epi Zephyr Regent with a Mean-90 p/u I'm selling. It's an ES-175 style with only one pickup, so it might not be what you're looking for, OP - they're definitely more of a jazz box -- but they are fantastic guitars. I just never get to play it anymore. Anyway, not trying to spam the thread, but just thought I'd throw it out there since you're looking ;-) Here's one on Reverb (not mine) in case you're curious:

https://reverb.com/item/37091937-ep...Q.RwJuViA916fK5oT13MZZp8ux5jZM7GXgre_E4jyJj38

SixStringSlinger and Wulf like this.
  9. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Proline 6119 Tennessee Rose +- $1500 used.

[​IMG]

10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i like that guitar....its quirky in a way that i likee mucho

11. Zepfan

Thanks. It's a hollow body and the trem arm got lost many years ago. Originally came with 2 big extremely microphonic single coils, you could talk through them and one night it picked up CB Radio chatter from a trucker going down the nearby highway.

I replaced those singles with a GFS A5 Fat Mini in the bridge and a Ceramic Minibird that I converted to a real Firebird for the neck. It has a Tone circuit, which is the tone cap on a 3-way switch that's on/off/on. It has a .022 cap on one side and .033 on the other, center is volume only. Also has 2 piezo in parallel under the bridge and all wired to a stereo jack. Don't use the piezo option much, too much treble.

Wulf likes this.
  12. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i love the look of it...i often use 3 way tone switches too
    i like the tone bypass for more output and clarity
    i love microphonic pickups...i use controlled...and uncontrolled feedback a lot....great with a nice resonant hollowbody....uncontolled feedback with white noise....like a jet engine overlaid by a rich full open sounding guitar...my idea of sonic heaven...
    i tried with the stereo thing..bought a ric 360 for that...had no use for it and found that the extra wiring inside reduced output..bought a ric330 and thought nothing more on stereo output
    again Zepfan...lovely guitar you got!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 6:39 PM
    Zepfan likes this.
  13. Zepfan

One other thing you might get a kick out of is this guitar was MIJ for a British company and sold in the US. Company name is Encore. I see where they have started back selling guitars in the UK, but they're now MIC.

14. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i had an encore 335 lookalike yrs ago...it was not a bad guitar at all semi hollow like my sheraton
    i do like guitars with air in them...for semi that sheraton of mine can be tipped into feedback easily with those filtertrons....think early velvets or jesus and mary chain type sonics...and much more besides
    encore stratalikes are 10 a penny in 2nd hand shops...the semis rarely so
    my house is like a rescue centre for abused and neglected guitars...i take them in and do them up
    pic of my sheraton and jazz bass earlier in thread

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 7:00 PM
    Zepfan likes this.
  15. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I dig it. The “swingbuckers” are nice sounding if you want tron-ish and paf-ish in the same package. If you are a purist about trons the tv Jones are it. Lots of purist PAF options. I’m not aware of anything that really does both as well the swingster.

driver8 and SixStringSlinger like this.
  16. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

From what you've described, OP, it sure sounds like you're wanting a hollow body Gretsch. I think an Electromatic 5420 would scratch that itch well for you. Quality on these is quite good.

Personally, I have a G6119 Player Edition (Japanese-build) which is certainly a fine hollow body. I like that it's a little less deep than the 5420. I've also removed the Bigsby and pick guard on mine.

[​IMG]

I also have a D'Angelico Excel EX-SS (my favorite hollow-body) which, at the time mine was made, is a hollow body. Wonderful body size at 15" x 1.75". I installed the T-Armond (Dynasonic-type) pickups to replace PAF-style humbuckers. Amazing tone.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, in my view, the EX-SS models being made presently (in S. Korea) are made with a center block - presumably to appeal to those who may encounter feedback problems.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 11:56 PM
  17. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i love guitars with air in them
    i love them for the very reason many dont..the feedback...controlled and uncontrolled....like a jet engine.
    its a sound i have used on and off for decades....before the noise boom of the mid 80s...i was doing all that feedback late 70s...velvet underground fan.
    centre blocked guitars can do it...but the volume needed is too much..(except with my fitertron powered sheraton for some reason..that one tips into feedback if you look at it wrong with any kind of gain)
    hollow ones can feedback at house safe volume so the only one in sonic bliss /torture is me

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Epi Sorrento, 2012 reissue. Fully hollow mini-humbuckers. Made in Indonesia. Works for me.

3042800A-ED0E-4C35-8EBC-06657D74E051.jpeg

Even makes coffee for me in the morning- good coffee.

19. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I love guitars with air in them, as well. Not necessarily for feedback, but for tone.

One model which has a lot more air in it than you might think is the ES-Les Paul. There is a center block, but it's carved into a very minimal rail in much of the space. A LOT of air in this model.

[​IMG]

Definitely one of my favorite semi-hollow electrics. I installed T-Armond (Dynasonic) pickups in this one, for full, rich, detailed, single coil tone.
    [​IMG]

20. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

That is stunning..i want one...not just for white noise...i love to play nice stuff too...that would suit me to a T...nice to know i can go nice to noise in a twist of the vol pot

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.