1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Interactions with Famous Guitarists?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Itgoesto11, Apr 18, 2020.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I tried to sell Pat Metheny a Epiphone Riviera 12 string
    when I was a teenager.
    I must have been a junior or senior in high school.
    I must have been 17, in 1974/1975.
    I saw that he was playing at the Armadillo World Headquarters, and I knew he had a Riviera 12.
    I’d seen him play it on TV.
    I drove to the Armadillo after school, around 4-5PM, went to the side stage door and walked in with the case.
    Pat and the band were sound checking/rehearsing.
    Pat calmly asked me what was in the case.
    I said I had a guitar I’d like to show him.
    I opened the case and handed him the clean sunburst Riviera 12.
    He strummed it for a moment, then said “Thanks, but I already have one.”
    I thanked him, and split.
    He seemed low-key, and nice.

galaxiex, Matt G, Rowdyman and 7 others like this.
  2. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I did sessions with the late Kevin Carlson. (Aldo Nova, Blue Oyster Cult, UFO) He became a dear friend. I've also performed with Lee Roy Parnell. One of the best slide players (and songwriters) in Nashville. Gibson released his signature Les Paul last year. Also played in a cover band with guys from Mickey Gilley's & Willie's bands. (They played bass and pedal steel, tho.)

3. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

That's a great story! Did u get to go to the show as well? Wondering if that would have been with Gary Burton, or with Jaco?

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

As long as you don't mention Kenny G. (If you're not familiar with the story, search their names together.) :eek:

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No, though I am now a huge fan, it never occurred to me.
    I was a bone-headed southern rocker wannabe when I was in high school.
    I knew Pat was brilliant, but I was into the Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd at the time.
    Jazz was WAY over my head.
    It still is.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  6. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

A buddy and me went to Ashcon 1999 in Chicago to see Wishbone Ash. We talked to Andy Powell for around 10 minutes then got the picture below. You can’t hardly see, but I’m holding my original Argus LP which Andy signed. What a great guy Andy is. They put on a great show that day too!

That’s me on the left with the cheesy mustache. :lol:

ADE12C66-B8AF-46A6-885A-DA72F683AB48.jpeg

7. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Same here, as far as playing real jazz myself .... but always been a huge part of my listening diet since childhood.

Rowdyman, djh22 and brookdalebill like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Got to jam all night on acoustics with Tommy Redd of Nantucket. We were camping for the NASCAR weekend.
    I also got to "help" Paul Gilbert set up for a guitar clinic at the shop I always went to back in Pittsburgh. Helping was basically staying out of his way and getting a free shirt and signed Ibanez poster. Since it was close to where he grew up, his Mom and sister came and watched the clinic. Such a super nice and humble guy.
    So is Tommy.

9. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

That’s awesome. I’m a huge Nantucket fan!!

10. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

MId seventies. Got a call from woman I worked with.She said "just a sec". Next thing I heard was a man's voice, "A haw, haw, haw, haw". BIlly Gibbons! My friend grew up down the street from him growing up. I was around 24 yrs old then.Tried to be cool and just asked "Hey. What ya all doing today?" Got to meet him after a San Diego concert later that yr. No backstage pass, but got access to the stage bar after the concert.Spent an hour or so having drinks. Heh, my friend sat in his lap all that time. He is quite a story teller. Met Edgar Frose after a concert in Los Angeles.Probably his last one there. Told him I'd been listing to him since his Aqua album release. He looked puzzled and stated "And you are here?" LOL! We both laughed and I offered "And so are you!" Aqua was his 1st solo album back in the 70's.(Not TD). Edgar is a large man! He seemed quite passive tho, and so very happy "we" came out to see him play.I also got to "meet and greet" with Arthur Brown when he was here during Pyschofest in Vegas. Ran into him before another concert at Hard Rock Vegas.He likes to circulate in the crowd.Tho he probably was checking the stage arrangment, and the opening act.

11. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have had the pleasure and privilege of meeting Les Paul ... Larry Coryell .. Bill Kirchen...Clarence Gatemouth Brown... Junior Brown... Chris Spedding ... David Bromberg ... BB King ...

I may have left a couple out ...

My apologies...

Rowdyman, Old Plank and Torren61 like this.
  12. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Agree re JW, my sister played the Babys to death when I was growing up, my first band played Change and Mr Wonderful from his solo album

Itgoesto11 likes this.
  13. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I peed at adjacent urinals with Keith Urban at Jacks guitar bar in Nashville. Probably around 1995 or so. Myself and a friend were up trying to break into the music business. We were unsuccessful.
    He was in a band named Keith Urban and 4-wheel drive. Later named The Ranch. Then he just became Keith Urban.

On another trip up to Nashville, probably about 1997, to hang out with the same podnah for the weekend, he introduced me to a dude he’d met named Blake Shelton.
    We spent the weekend fishing and drinking beer and playing guitar and singing. It was fun and Blake was/(is?) a cool dude.
    He played that song about the dog named old red that night. First time I ever heard it.

14. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

when I was younger I cooked dinner for the Doobie Brothers at a ski resort. They waited till after the show to eat, so I stayed late to cook for them. They asked the waiter to meet the cook, and he brought me into their room where they were eating and all thanked me.

I met Rodney Crowell on the plane from Detroit to Nashville. Nice guy!

15. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Brian Setzer asked me for directions to a famous vintage guitar shop that was close by to the regular guitar shop I was browsing in here in Sydney, this about 25 years ago

16. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

I always refer to it as the night I was hanging out with Buddy Guy at his club.

The facts: Three of us from a blues band were in town the weekend of the Chicago Blues Festival. Copeland played at the festival, then came to Buddy's club later that night. When we left to go there, my friend says, bring your camera you never know, might be photo ops. But I didn't have a pocket for it (millennial cell phone users will not understand that part), so I left it back.

Just before Copeland starts playing, I go to the bar for a beer and who's standing there, smiling, talking to everybody and having his photo taken with anybody who asked. He is a very friendly person and was clearly having a good time. I stayed right there, along with a few other people, talking about the festival, Copeland, the club, whatever. Once the band started playing, there wasn't any more talk. It was an outstanding performance. One of those "why I love the blues" nights.

17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

You mean like "Hey you, get the F off the stage!" ?

GuitarKid, aging_rocker and Torren61 like this.
  18. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

I went to a slide-guitar weekend where Robbie McIntosh (Pretenders; McCartney; Norah Jones; John Mayer etc.) was one of the tutors. Learned a lot from him and Kevin Brown that day. He played fingerstyle all day but borrowed my flatpick to demonstrate something in a particular song. That night he played a gig in the same town, I went and sat near the front. He played fingerstyle for the whole set - until he spontaneously decided to play that same song and said “Hey Miff - can I borrow your pick again?”

19. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

Freddy King, all of the Marshall Tucker band while they toured their first album, Michael Martin Murphy when he was still Michael Murphy, Jeff Hanna, Johnny Hartford, Ian McLagen rest his soul, Clarence Gatemouth Brown by chance in Germany, Bill Kirchen, a true gentleman, Robert Plant, and my personal favorite Redd Volkaert. All of the above have interesting back stories in one way or another.

20. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I went to see Joe Satriani and Vernon Reid was opening for him. After Vernon Reid played, he had a meet and greet thing going on before Satriani came out. I was remembering that I first saw Living Colour on MTV in around 1984 or 1985, when I was 23 or 24, so I said to Vernon Reid "I remember when we were both young." and he looks at me like "Wtf are you talking about?". The beer made me think I was saying something like "I remember when you guys first showed up on MTV and we were both in our 20s and I'll never forget seeing this band of black guys ripping it up." But, it didn't really come out that way.

Vernon, if you're reading this, call me...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.