Insurance, accidents (not ours) and robots.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jul 21, 2021.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

All in a few days news and tasks our insurance went up with no claims, Wall St. Journal reported accidents are up significantly, and Tesla dropped the price for Autopilot.

I'm sure the higher rates for no claims reflects more people driving again. What I saw in front of me and in the mirror driving today said a whole lot of people need the autopilot whether or not they have a Tesla! A woman driving behind me with face in phone veered across bike lane and scraped curb! Our newer cars don't have autopilot but would have barked or steered back for what that lady did.

I shudder to think what the insurance would be if there were accidents and no good student driver discounts. It might be time to actually look into COSTCO's insurance offerings.

2. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

Since every numpty driver on the road is, a wannabe Lewis Hamilton or the next hero of Fast & Furious franchise.... Little wonder insurance fees are rising... Plus, is it now the same in the US, that Red lights are now optional? :cry:;)

Hamstein and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

I just called AAA last week, and successfully got my auto insurance rate almost halved.

For the last year, with people not driving as much, they sent us 2 or 3 refund checks... Which were better than nothing, but still a joke considering how much our mileage had dropped.

My wife and I both have spotless driving records, I almost never drive... My wife's driving has been almost 2/3's less than it used to be... Why the hell are we paying so much still?

I had to verify mileage on both our vehicles, and they agreed.

Would have been nice if they could have done it automatically (I verify mileage 2-3 times a year as it is)

But it took me pissing and moaning, and threatening to go elsewhere.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Do insurance companies still offer discounts for "driver's ed"? All of my grandson's friends did it online, with their parents supervising their driving. (that's a JOKE) When we did driver's ed in the sixties, it was in a real classroom, and then an actual "trained" instructor for the driving part. Yeah, we weren't always great drivers, but at least some of the training sunk in. In the 1990s I worked with a guy, 26 years old, who was one of the worst drivers I've ever seen. (not dangerous, per se, but just "sloppy", if you get my drift) One day I asked him who taught him to drive? He proudly said, "No one! I taught myself". That explained a lot! Young drivers just don't get any real instruction anymore, and I think it shows. :(

41144 and SRHmusic like this.
  5. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Insurance cost is not strictly about frequency only.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hey you guys, what should we charge for our new insurance policies? Just take whatever you charged last year and jack it up about double, when they call and complain drop it by ten percent, works every time!

41144 and nojazzhere like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

With the price of vehicles these days, I’m not surprised at all.

BTW, with extremely reduced driving during the lockdown, I have noticed that my driving skills diminished. Anyone else notice?

Oh wait, most of you can’t drive worth beans anyway.:D

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. imwjl

You have to take and pass driver's ed in this state, and our kids do get good student discounts. There are a lot of unlicensed and uninsured drivers and that is a big problem. I'm pretty sure those not paying insurance include a lot of older vehicles that don't have safety robots. With the average age of cars it will be a while.

Yes. For example, that Wall St. Journal article also said along with more accidents, repair costs are higher.

I don't believe it's that bad for everyone and any resolution in my experience has been choosing less coverage or a different underwriter.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. imwjl

My driving went up considerably and I had to go in bad weather usually smart to avoid. There were an unusual few weeks early on when law enforcement was ignoring speeding within reason or waving to grocery, health and infrastructure workers as we sped by. It's still crazy busy.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

I was making a smardastic crack. Not illustrating a solid insurance policy procedure. ( I think/hope )

imwjl likes this.
  11. Obsessed

Hey, did anyone’s car insurance get reduced because of the tremendous drop in commute driving during last year’s lockdown?

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  12. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Yes. But I expect to more than make up for it in the near future. :oops:

Obsessed likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mine sure didn't! :(

Obsessed likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: reduced rates!

[​IMG]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

nojazzhere and Obsessed like this.
  15. Obsessed

Yeah, I didn’t think so.:rolleyes:

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Don't worry. Robots are getting smarter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.