Insulin anyone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by photoweborama, May 31, 2007.

1. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

re "liked being hooked up to a machine"

Well it is a machine, a real smart machine! but it's not invasive, about the size of a pager, the one my son has now is waterproof to 13ft depth so he can bathe and swim with it.
    We had a real hard time getting a handle on his blood sugar when he was about 8 years old, that's when he got his first pump.

The insulin pump has tremendously improved his numbers, I can't imagine going back to insulin shots.

More power to you if you can control your diabetes with 2 shots a day, excercise and diet, that's great.

But there is nothing at all wrong with being hooked up to a pump, it is continously dispensing insulin, similar to what the body would do normally, plus you can figure out your carbs for each meal and get the exact amount of insulin you need.

2. davesg

davesg Tele-Meister

While all that has been said is good, I am not sure all that has been said applies to this situation. If the Doctor has suggested just one shot in the evening, it will probably be Lantus. With Lantus you don't need or even want a pump. As has already been stated this form of insulin lasts for 24 hours instead of the 16 or less with other types of insulin. This is usually taken along with oral medications. But one good point that has been stated is that diet and exercise is important as well. I can still remember the first time I had to inject myself. I didn't like the idea, but this simple procedure is relatively painless and has become second nature. It helps keep the quality of my life in good order. You will have no problems. Just remember that it does take commitment to the game plan, eat right, exercise and take your meds. I would also suggest that you wear some form of Medic Alert ID, Notify friends and co-workers of your condition, and keep you numbers within the tolerances prescribed by your Doctor.

3. doveman

doveman Tele-Meister

Yeah ... I take Lantus at night ... doesn't need a machine. Very effective in taking overall blood sugar down for 24 hours. I still need a fast acting insulin (humalog) when I eat too. Taking the shots is pretty easy & painless. The hardest thing to do is just remembering to take it. Good luck.

4. photoweborama

photoweborama Friend of Leo's

I'm looking forward to it.
    At times I get the feeling that my wife does not believe I have a problem because I can free great one minute and sick as a dog the next.
    This sort of solidifies that I really do have a problem.

5. txspreacher

txspreacher Friend of Leo's

Have you ever been to any diabetes education classes? If not, it could be very beneficial to ask your doctor to recomend one for you and perhaps you could talk the wife into going with you so that she may better understand what you go through. It is difficult for people without diabetes to understand what goes on. Best of luck with your insulin treatment and keep us informed.

6. Derwood

Derwood TDPRI Member

I use Lantus at night, and a humalog pen with meals. Don't fear the needles. They are no big deal after you get used to the idea. The pen is very handy, checking your sugars is more of an inconvenience.
    I have had a lot of practice counting carbs. Knowledge is power. But still things don't always seem to work consistently.
    The biggest problem with tight control is the increased chances of lows. Lows really suck. Highs don't feel like anything at all unless you're really high for quite a length of time.
    I recommend seeing a dietician, a diabetic educator, possibly an endocrinologist. Suppost groups can help too, though in this area they tend to be mostly older type 2s, rather than type 1s, but I have still gotten help from that.

7. photoweborama

photoweborama Friend of Leo's

Yes, I've been to diabetes classes, nutrition classes, etc. Kaiser is what I have and they educate you to death.. or life.. depending on how you look at it...

My wife has been to some, but even though I love her, unless it directly influences her, she forgets... She does unfortunately handle the brunt of the house and kids. I do what I can when I can, but I'm not consistent.

Diabetes is just one of my health problems.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.