1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Instruments vs. Video Games

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blue17, Feb 8, 2021.

1. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

I think the point of comparing the two is accepting that they are both things that people spend a lot of their free time doing. If we accept that, then we ask whether one has more value/benefit than the other. To answer that, you compare the perceived benefit of both.

I have a certain amount of free time in my day, and frequently ask myself what to do with it. Seems like a perfectly good time to compare my options.

2. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

The perceived benefit of doing a hobby is per définition highly influenced by your own perception of your time and personal benefit.

They're two utterly different things, to the point you can't barely put them in the same level.

I'd understand some comparison between hobbys, but to this point it's pretty hard to bend the logic.

3. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

I couldn't afford to have video games in my teens and early 20s and didn't think too much about them. Then I was at a friend's house--who was really into video games--and saw how far they'd gotten.

I was especially taken with Gran Turismo 3, as I was a bit of a car geek (but have never owned a very fancy car).

So I realized I could afford a video game system then, that it may be a nice wind-down/distraction after coming home from a high-stress job, so I got one and have been playing off and on since. I favor non-violent games, however. Mostly driving and puzzle, but I also like the sandbox/explore a large area games.

(I also prefer games that I can play for 20-30 minutes and stop for a couple days. A lot of developers seem to have forgotten many of us don't have several hours a day to play).

Anyway, as for whether time spent playing games is better than playing guitar, reading a novel, riding my bike, or doing yoga, I'll say a qualified no. And I sometimes feel guilty about the games, but it's not bad.

It's not as if the experience has been entirely empty. Engaging problem solving abilities in puzzles is interesting, seeing representations of places I won't get a chance to in real life is fun, and I've experienced some engaging stories.

And at times being able to dive into a fictional world--whether in a game or novel--has helped me cope during some difficult times. Just as my guitars, piano, saxophone, clarinet, mountain bike, and hiking boots have.

Tyuk, MojoTrwall and blue17 like this.
  4. Dereksys38

Dereksys38 Tele-Meister

I play both, I agree that I feel like I'm wasting my time subconsciously, that' snever the case when I'm practicing, but both are fun, in slightly different ways.

5. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

As someone who enjoys both...

My gut reaction is that video games have a higher probability of addiction style side effects. I used to play in highly competitive games. There is an obsessive compulsive aspect to it, particularly if you are prone to ADHD/procrastination/distraction that interferes with sleep and focusing on school and work. I don't enjoy gaming in moderation. I LOVE gaming in excess. It is just who I am.

On the other hand... depending on the music scene, there are drugs and other addictions that can come along (relationships, booze, etc).

I enjoy music in moderation. But I am not a part of any music scene in clubs or otherwise that would lend themselves to accessing drugs and alcohol.

There are a lot of people that have dropped out of college, lost jobs, lost a spouse, and even died because they cant put a particular game down (real stories from memory: Civ2, Everquest, WoW, Starcraft). I am not exaggerating or joking in any way. Those titles will show you that this is not a new phenomena (I'm talking late 90's and early 2000's). In fact it is probably worse as games are now designed to be psychologically addictive to generate more revenue through micro transactions and in game advertising.

I suspect that while I am very successful by most peoples' standards, I have settled on a number of things where I could have done much better in life - but because I enjoy games too much, didn't apply myself to things that would have made a difference. I'm not unhappy about it, but I do recognize it.

6. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

F491BFEE-6E99-4C78-A15C-5EC72812B415.gif

beninma, jvin248, hnryclay and 3 others like this.
  7. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

And if you've never tried, they're really fun when drunk or when you got to chill out but still wan't to talk or have social interaction for instance when late in the night.

Which is something playing guitar would prevent.

8. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

I would assume there are a number of people who are "addicted" to music, but it may be more broadly "respected" because of a few successful, and now rich, examples.

Think of how many famous guitarists dropped out of school just because they loved guitar so much, but because they made it, we think it was worth it. We never hear about all the other folks this inspires, because they didn't make it but kept trying.

Should they have kept trying? Not my call, but worth a thought.

northernguitar likes this.
  9. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Yes, but you previously said this:

Video game is basically even deeper than making a movie in art perspective, and personnal perception of a media.

Sadly with multiplayer and mass selling game, dichotomia between vidéo and game, the first being the art part, the second the entertainement part went in to grow in a large part.

But vidéo game is an art, period.

Maybe we have a language barrier. You were the one that compared it to art in the first place. Didn't you say video games were art? Sorry if I misunderstood. Either way, this is sort of off track to the OP's original question.

10. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Having been dead a few times and subsequently dragged back into this mess by well-meaning people, here’s what I’ve been able to glean from it:

If you’re not happy, you’re doing something wrong.

If you like something and it makes you happy, and it doesn’t harm anyone else, do it. You should be enjoying your sojourn in this asylum. No need to feel guilty for being happy, that’s the whole point of this goat rope.

Mind your own business and don’t be criticizing what your neighbor does if it’s not hurting you. You’re just as screwed up as they are in your own way and have no business dumping on them to make yourself feel superior.

Quit worrying about crap. Worrying is a great evil. What will be will be. Relax and enjoy life and appreciate the good things.

Life is not a competition. Be nice and help others if you get a chance to do so.

You’re supposed to be having a good time. If you’re not making the best of things and enjoying your life, you’d better reevaluate what you’re doing. And no matter how many times you try to boost your own ego by tsk tsking at someone else, ain’t nobody better than anybody else so get over yourself.

Thems the rules. Abide by them or suffer, your choice.

Nelg, Scooter91 and MojoTrwall like this.
  11. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

I misunderstood OP first post due to speed reading which is why I corrected in my later post.

Danb541 likes this.
  12. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

Everything in moderation. Too much screen time of any kind is not good for a human.
    Obsessing and spending too much time on hobbies is actually called addiction and any addiction can be a problem. If you play guitar 6 hours a day with the idea it’s going to pay your bills it’s fine but if it’s not than it’s probably getting in your way of doing so.
    Honest self reflection will go a long way.

13. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Met my wife playing my guitar.

One time when I was 13 or so I bloodied a kid’s nose at a convenience store for messing with the buttons and joystick too many times on the game I was playing. I knocked him into crates of bottles. I warned him not to, twice.

I haven’t played video games since I was a teenager, other than every once in a blue moon. I don’t know all of these new games and boxes everybody plays on. They were fun for me then, but I’d rather wind down by writing or researching. Guitar is ok sometimes, too.

As long as I get all the important stuff done in a day, I can fart around a little if I feel like it.

14. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

I am not a gamer at all and in my own opinion spending a lot of time playing them is not healthy.

However

I do like to play a handful of games on xbox. Like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, its very cinematic with a well developed story line but its interactive as well. Its an improvement on traditional video entertainment by bringing you into the story.

The biggest trouble I have is the time wasted trying to find a game I will like as I seem to dislike the majority I try.

And another however

If I found myself investing too much time into it I would stop. Life is too short to consume a lot of it staring at a glowing orb.

15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I played video games when my boys were little, but now I don't bother anymore. My eldest still plays, but the youngest isn't bothered in the slightest.

16. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

When you make music with others, the musicians create something through personal expression that never existed before. And it's real.

When you play a video game, your interactions are bound by the restrictions of the platform. And it's a fantasy.

That is the difference from my perspective.

Tyuk and northernguitar like this.
  17. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

Video games are a passive activity. You are necessarily removed from the objects and experience.
    Playing guitar is an active experience. You are necessarily and directly engaged with the object and experience itself, in real time.

Neither are bad things. I enjoy them both. I have been totally digging the Hitman games.

I think that the increase in passive activities like video games, Youtube, texting, Facebook, even these forum chats are not a substitute for actual active learning, interaction, debate, and artistic pursuits. They make certain people believe they are somehow more experienced or knowledgeable than they are. Removing real time expression and interaction disguises their need for (and total reliance on) modern technology like google and youtube in lieu of actually learning something, memorizing it, and I'd go as far as even having the ability to actually think. Active experiences mean you must have the knowledge, ability, and experience in real time, and be able to articulate it in way way that makes a point, or proves one.

The number of YouTube PhDs out there that I personally know who couldn't be less authoritative on anything in real time without their phone and google, yet still somehow still believe they are "experts" is proof enough for me.

1955 likes this.
  18. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

When I play guitar with my kids, my friends, my band and for my family or an audience at a party or a gig, I share my joy of life and my gratefulness for being here now with any or all those people.

When I play a game I.... uh ... Actually, I never play games. Because it doesn't offer the sharing of joy. Or money.

19. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I have a nephew who’s a vampire. Rarely sees the light of day. So engrossed in gaming he’s majoring in it. Graduates this year from Drexel.

20. Tyuk

Tyuk TDPRI Member

Well said. I’ve gamed online (Warcraft 1/Diablo 1) since I was 9, now 34, and wouldn’t consider myself ‘being an artist’ when I game. The opposite is true whenever I pick up/play guitar; the potential for artistic expression is infinite and only limited by my own practice habits.

northernguitar and Peegoo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.