Instruments I can't play but would really like to

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digital Larry, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Sometimes I'm tempted to take up pedal steel because I love the sound. But I don't have enough time or space for the instruments I already play. I'll have to keep hoping to befriend a great steel player so I can have that sound in my life.

24 track and Digital Larry like this.
  2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I would like to get me a guitarrón someday, and learn to play it.

C8287FBC-0634-4523-91B5-E27DCF1875C4.jpeg

3. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Yep. I've owned one since the early eighties. Somewhere I've got an old grainy photo of me playing with a band on one of those local Oprys, but I just didn't stick with it. Age and not playing it for years have made it difficult to play at all now.

I've always wanted to be able to play some slide guitar too, but never got the hang of it.

4. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Pedal Steel, 5 string Banjo, Fiddle, Mandolin and piano.

Tele-beeb, 24 track and Digital Larry like this.
  5. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

I wanted to play drums before my dad talked me out of it, likely because he was terrified of the racket, so I became really good in the 1980s at programming the Roland TR-707 for my demos. When I got back into recording in the late 1990s, there were already brilliant sounding Acid drum loops of real drummers carefully mic'ed up in pro studios. Eventually they added "name" drummers such as Mick Fleetwood, and Joe Vitale, the drummer for Joe Walsh to their collection. More recently, I started using the Superior Drummer midi-loops. Since there's no way I'll ever play as well as those guys, I'm happy to use their loops as the backbone for my demos.

Soon after I started playing guitar, the whole '80s digital synthesizer revolution happened. Hearing Jan Hammer playing piano, all of the Fairlight patches, and imitating guitar on his mini-Moog through an amp every week on Miami Vice, I sort of kicked myself for not taking piano lessons instead. These days, I'm slowly working my way through the Simple Piano app on the iPad. I'll never be a great player, but I would like to at least develop my skills on keys.

6. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Pedal steel and fiddle. Piano would be more practical for me though since I like to sing.

Tele-beeb, 24 track and Digital Larry like this.
  7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

my kid was given a clarenette while in band in school , she handed it back to the teacher and said no thanks I want to play oboe, there were no teachers available in town , one wanted to show them piano instead, my kid perserveered taught herself how to play after the first year she said I want a wood oboe with a low f key , so we got them one, then she auditioned for the honor band and got 1 st oboe, and after 3 years they opened for the university of BC symphony orchestra, they have won awards all over the place.

their real talent though is counting and playing trick timings flawlessly ( I get schooled almost every time I play LOL) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah I'm a little proud here!

8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

keyboard. the whole band in your hands.

CajunJ and 24 track like this.
  9. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I will say, give it a go...whatever it is. I always wanted to play the cello...and @ 55, I found an "Adult Strings" group and rented a cello.

Eventually I found the scale length of the cello was just too much for my old hands...and moved to the Viola.

Edgar Allan Presley and 24 track like this.
  10. Hugokildare

Hugokildare TDPRI Member

Cello

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I played other instruments in grade school, junior high, and high school; tuba, trombone, and baritone horn. I added double bass and electric bass in college. I began teaching myself guitar in junior high school. I’m still playing guitar and I’m OK. Not great, OK. What I’d really like to learn is classical guitar. Real classical guitar. I’ll need a good teacher, not to break my bad habits, to learn new good ones for playing classical. I need to read music fluently. I played bass clef instruments. Reading treble clef is like sounding out words to read. I need to hold a classical guitar correctly. I need to get my thumb behind the neck. Classical guitar is really a different instrument from what I’m playing now.

Digital Larry and 24 track like this.
  12. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I've been playing fiddle and guitar in bands for about four years, and am currently learning bass guitar.
    My next dream instrument would also be learning how to play pedal steel. I've always been haunted by that sound; especially when listening to instrumentals like Floyd Cramer's 'Last Date', or of Tammy Wynette's 'Apartment #9'.

13. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have always loved the Sax! I know I can’t play it, I have spent years trying :)

I have gone back and forth between Guitar and Sax over the years. I think I have finally got the bug to play the sax out of my system.

Recently sold both of my Saxaphones and all my gear. Used the proceeds to feed my Tele obsession :)

This was my Harry Potter Studio Under The Stairs. The wife is happy it will be converted back into a closet.

1B2DB81D-F32D-4E6E-8F0E-1A99406272C3.jpeg

I would love to learn to play the drums. This is my son’s kit, he is learning...

7E9EDFFB-CE21-4A69-BBFA-024386D5863B.jpeg

Piano would be another instrument I would love to be better at. Had lessons as a kid, but didn't stick with it. Regretting that today...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  14. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

P e d a l S t e e l
    Can you imagine if you were pretty good. It would be so cool with a big fancy Steel and a big cool amp...
    Maybe a Nashville 400 or a Super or a Twin or some big Gigantic-tron...
    Such fun it must be?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  15. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

bassoon

Digital Larry likes this.
  16. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman Tele-Meister

I used to play a lot of mandolin. Then I started playing a couple of four-string banjos and the mandolin got neglected. Finally I went on to guitar. I figure if I try another instrument I’ll never get good at playing guitar. I do plan to pick up the mandolin again.

All that being said the lute is kind of a fantasy instrument for me. I also have my grandfather’s WWI Cornett which i would love to be able to play. Not enough time even in retirement.

17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

playing the Piano would be cool.

I see a few "public" pianos about the place, outside hotels/shops on market days, even in the foyer of the local hospital....

It would be great to just sit down at one and confidently play some tunes... a bit of boogie woogie, some blues or just some old standard folk tunes....... :)

18. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hurdy Gurdy

trapdoor2 and Digital Larry like this.
  19. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister

I'd love to be able to sit in with anyone in almost any genre on guitar like I can with drums.

Flute is the biggie. I bought a century old open hole wooden flute and found the embouchure very daunting. I backed up to Irish Whistle and would be happy to get this down properly even if I don't progress on flute.

20. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

In order, Balalaika, Lap Steel, Piano.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.