Instrumental music

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Who here prefers instrumental music over music with vocals?
I am genuinely intrigued.
Go!
Tnx
I don't prefer it over vocal music, just love both.

When it comes to listening to songs (vocals) as a kid ( 1960's) I think I was always more attracted to the melody and rhythm first, then lyrics/what the song was about, secondly...

So over the years, I've come to love all kinds of instrumental music- kind of all over the place- acoustic folk/bluegrass/blues, old Jazz ( Hot Jazz, Cool Jazz, Bebop), Rock, Big Band, some Symphonic/Orchestral. Surf!

As far as guitar playing, I love putting some instrumental guitar music into solo, or duo gigs, if folks are listening.

That takes the form ( with me) as pop/rock vocal favorites, played as instrumentals, or acoustic blues, and a simple originals done in a folk/bluegrass manner maybe?
* note: all simple, easy for me to play, and others, to play with me ( I love teaching folks quick chord progressions to improvise on, even during sets)
So I definitely go for a broad mix

Last edited:

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
I don't really prefer it over vocal music, I like both. A lot of great instrumental stoner rock/metal and doom out there these days.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Between dance music, jazz, experimental music or classical, I’d say about half or slightly more than half of the music I listen to is instrumental.

I’m not really married to vocals or lyrics...especially with lyrics, I hardly pay attention to them, and I listen to a considerable amount of music in languages I don’t speak. I guess hip hop is an exception, but that’s kind of a different thing.

There’s a lot of really great singing and melodies in pop, country, r&b, etc...but frankly you could take the vocals out of most rock stuff I listen to and it would still be just as interesting to me, because I’m not really focusing on the vocals most of the time anyway.

Last edited:

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
I don't prefer it over vocal music but as far as Instrumental (or mostly so), some of my favorites are Aphex Twin, Martin Denny, Wendy Carlos, The Ventures, Durutti Column, Dirty Three, Ozric Tentacles, The Orb, and about 75% of the Jazz I listen to.

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
I wouldn’t say that I prefer it, but a vocal style I don’t care for will drive me away a lot faster than an instrumental style I don’t care for. So instrumental music dodges a bullet that vocal music does not.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I listen to a wide variety of music...but I play only instrumental, ie, I don't sing.

It isn't that I haven't tried. I think my brain can't handle the dichotomy...and I've avoided it for so long that my singing software has flatlined.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
I prefer vocals removed and this is my gift to you....

Here's a site that removes the vocals from any song you upload into it. It's amazing. You put a song in it, it completely erases the vocals and then when you listen back it is like listening to a brand new song. You hear things that are buried in the mix or buried behind the vocals.

Fantastic tool (also helps you figure out guitar parts in songs becaue you can now hear them more than the vocals).
https://x-minus.pro/ai

bebenavole

Tele-Meister
I don't prefer it over vocal music but as far as Instrumental (or mostly so), some of my favorites are Aphex Twin, Martin Denny, Wendy Carlos, The Ventures, Durutti Column, Dirty Three, Ozric Tentacles, The Orb, and about 75% of the Jazz I listen to.
Wow Martin Denny! thanks 4 that