1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Instrument Player Vs. Instrumentalist

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Jan 20, 2021.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I consider myself a guitar player. I am not a guitarist. What is the difference, you ask? A player is someone who can play the instrument, whether it is a few licks or fairly well. An instrumentalist is someone who is proficient at the instrument.

Which brings me to some thoughts I have had about playing in bands.
    • Guitar. Most people familiar with music can bang out a few barre chords. But to be a guitarist is another level altogether.
    • Bass. Most guitar players can pick up a bass and bang out 1-4-5 and a few fills. But a bassist is a specialized skill that is not easy to obtain.
    • Drums. Sure, most players can bang out basic rhythm. A good drummer makes the rhythm sing.
    • Keys. Same thing - if you know music, you can bang out some basic stuff, but proficiency is a specialized skill.
    • Singer. Many / most of us can sing, but a good vocalist "makes it work", not just covers the part.
    Our first garage bands when we were young probably consisted of players, not instrumentalists. Sometimes that works for a bit, or in a context, but rarely goes much farther than that.

The band I was in decades ago used me as a bass player. I got to be OK after a while, but I was never a bassist. The lead guitar player was a guitarist; second guitar player a guitar player. The drummer was a good drummer, but had funny ideas about where he fit in. The keyboard player was very proficient reading music and playing by herself, but just a keyboard player in the context of the band. (This is another topic for another time). We found a singer who was decent, but not a vocalist, and he had an "odd stage presence" that over time became off-putting. A bunch of good people that just never meshed or could agree on a direction. I quit after two gigs.

Then, we get to musicians. I would say that is someone who is an instrumentalist on at least three categories. We could argue about whether music theory factors in that or not.

Again, I really don't have a point here. This has occurred to me a number of times in the past few months, so I am posting here to get it off my mind. Thank you for "allowing me that".

Thoughts?

Dereksys38, Stubee, elihu and 2 others like this.
  2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Same thing.

davidchagrin and unixfish like this.
  3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Well... I can appreciate you trying to organize your mind around your definitions and then share them to see if they connect with others. But the thing about such definitions is that they are invariably polarizing when applied to a group. I try not to get too distracted by such things in my pursuit of communication.

Isn’t there more to people that simply checking off three categories?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Dereksys38, gpilgrim and unixfish like this.
  4. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Good God, man! You’ve just made me a banjoist, and I don’t even own a banjo! Really. Not a one. Nothing hidden in a closet, nada.

Just because I can play one well does not make me a banjoist. I refuse the title. I own many guitars and other instruments, but no banjos.

davidchagrin, Dereksys38 and unixfish like this.
  5. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

James Taylor is a pretty good player but he'd be terrible in Metallica. (I suspect).

Just cause you can play some things, doesnt mean you can.play all.

I'd consider an instrumentalist someone that can put together something worth listening to with just the instrument. Not a band, lyrics, etc. But that's me.

And these threads are silly.

And I'm still responding.

6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I would agree that there is a hierarchy. I'm comfortable with "guitar player" (well, perhaps one or two ranks down, maybe 'wanker' is more appropriate). :rolleyes: However, if you make me play backup to a traditional fiddler, I graduate to "player". I will never be a "guitarist" as I have more interest in banjos than guitars. OTOH, I'll probably build more guitars than banjos, so...

When I play banjo, I feel that "Banjoist" is more appropriate. With Viola, I'm back down to 'player', same with mandolin. I did play Bass in a garage band...but as said above, only because they didn't have a bass player and I had a Bass and amp.

"Instrumentalist" implies a level of ability, sophistication and focus that lies beyond my aspirations. I think it implies a resume and a body of work. Nope, not for me!

Dereksys38 and unixfish like this.
  7. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

What's a synonym for "phrase that's a synonym"?

8. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

You can call me whatever you want to. I usually avoid using “musician” myself because I don’t do it for a living, but I’m not going to lose sleep over it.

Jim622 and unixfish like this.
  9. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Holic

A guitar player is someone who plays a guitar, while a guitarist is someone for whom a guitar is the instrument they play. It’s a subtle distinction.

10. unixfish

Why thank you, thankyouverymuch!

11. unixfish

Are you going all recursive on me?

12. Manual Slim

Should I order a hot fudge sundae or a sundae with hot fudge?

JRapp, Dereksys38, Dismalhead and 2 others like this.
  13. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Just my two cents, but I think we spend too much time trying to categorize. You play guitar, you're a guitarist. Nobody is top level at everything.

I used to play with a guitarist that could play the 80's hair metal as good or better than anyone I've heard on record, excepting the Joe Satriani, Steve Vai level players. We formed a new band and I brought in Rolling Stones "Only Rock and Roll" but we had to drop it because he couldn't play it right. Who's the better guitarist; he, who can shred with the best of them but can't rock and roll, or me, who can Chuck Berry/Keith Richards all night long, but can't shred? Better yet, who cares?

14. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

My brain hurts from this lol :confused:.

teletail likes this.
  15. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

Perfectly stated.

16. unixfish

Two very different, albeit very similar things. :D

17. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I hope to one day be worthy of being called a picker.

18. unixfish

I don't think anybody is highly proficient at every style. If you are at your given style, guitarist. IMO.

19. unixfish

I already am, but probably not what you are expecting to be picked. :lol::lol::lol:

Larry F likes this.
  20. Manual Slim

Ask me about my scabs!

Larry F and unixfish like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.