Instead of Fender amps ....... ?????

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 83siennateleguy, Jul 31, 2018.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Pffffft all those tubes.

Get a used Peavey Bandit and only play the clean channel. Feed it pedals.
    I got an 80s Solo for $65 with a free guitar and a 2000s for $80 clean with the bandit pedal -- I got them before the Internet caught on to how good they are, most are now in the $200s around here.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    savofenno, stnmtthw and JayFreddy like this.
  2. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

I'm a Fender player, but have been thinking of a Vox AC15. I used to have a RI Bassman but it was too loud for 90% of my gigs so i got a DRRI. While I prefer tweed mids over blackface mids, i did do some mods to my DRRI and it's much more usable at gigs.

ps. I had a Quilter for a few weeks and I couldn't get any tone out of it.

savofenno likes this.
  3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mesa/Boogies are pretty flexible - even their least-expensive model, the Rectoverb 25, has "voice switches" on both channels that let you tweak it to something more vintage/classic rock from modern/heavy rock. It's not as flexible as a Mark V, but they aren't bad.

Back in the day the Peavey Classic 30 was a nice grab-and-go with cascading gains, but I haven't played one since they moved production from Mississippi to China.

4. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace TDPRI Member

Get any modern 100dollarish modeler (I have a boss gt1)
    And play with all the different amps, (preamps) from different brands, and see what you like. The gt1 has a deluxe and bassman, but also vox,matchless, orange, peavey, Marshall and mesaboogie

JustABluesGuy and savofenno like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Crazy talk.

ozcal, King Fan, Ira7 and 1 other person like this.
  6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Ampeg.

ponchodoc, savofenno and twotone60 like this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Rather than shopping for brand name and new condition, I'd look for top quality used, nearby, and play through them.
    Along with used affordable top quality amps from Dr Z and a few other big name builders there are hand wired clone amps from builders like Ceriatone and a few domestics where you can get an 18w Marshall TMB or JTM45 for a fair price that will give great clean and distorted sounds.
    Also look for Fender based clones like Allen, which expand the tonal range but still do the original sounds.
    There's also Muchxs who builds amps in NH for reasonable prices, but there would be a wait for a build.

If I was buying a new mass produced sub $1000 amp I'd probably choose one of the Orange line.

Just my perspective on buying amps, too much good stuff out there to go choosing consumer grade unless you're on a really low budget.

King Fan likes this.
  8. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

There are lots of boutique options - Carr, Savage, Allen, Swart, Louis Electric, Milkman - but I agree with some of the above posters that Vox, Ampeg, and Peavey (the Classic 30 and 50, anyway) are all good choices. The Carvin BelAir and Nomad are good, too. Mesa Boogie, Marshall, Orange, Hiwatt, Kustom, Sound City... whole 'nother ball o'wax. I'm not qualified to comment on amps like that. The Mesa Lone Star series was always pretty Fender-y, though.

savofenno likes this.
  9. Slowisfast

Slowisfast Tele-Meister

Z Maz 18!

10. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have a VOX AC-15 and a Marshall Origin 20C , both sounds Great with my Tele:s

asnarski likes this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I really like the DV Mark FGC121. More volume than I'll ever use, featherweight, and sounds awesome

12. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

The Peavey Delta Blues is a very respectable amp, kind of a poor man's AC30.

The Classic 50 is excellent too, somewhere in between Vox and Fender.

13. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

After a life with a Twin Reverb, Bassman BF, Bassman59, Champ, Tweed Deluxe and a VoxAC15 now I keep the Deluxe and my main amp is a Marshall, a JCM900 100W MKIII that I keep clean and use TS808 to drive it.
    Is also good because it can hold beer and you are not afraid of it

[​IMG]

14. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister

Unless you got a MarkV:35. :)

Owenmoney and JL_LI like this.
  15. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

Anything by David Allen. With the mid/raw control, you can go from the default classic blackface sound to brown/tweed/Marshall territory.

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

83siennateleguy, it all depends. What are you looking for in an amp?

17. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

One of Jeff Crumm's best amps!

18. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I've use a Vox AC 15 and its nice. I use a Magnatone Twilighter and Hiwatt custom 50.

19. Aztex

Aztex Tele-Meister

My Mesa Boogie F30 is pretty versatile. They make "bigger" ones of the same style if you need more.

Best cleans in the business and the contour setting is more dirt than you can handle.

Not crazy about the reverb but comparing to my Fender most will fall short IMO.

A

Old Tele Hack likes this.
  20. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

My advice is find out what classic sound you like. Or do you like something more modern sounding.
    I was always a Blackface Fender guy. For about 10 years I fooled around with some other classic designs in the Vox and tweed type camp and owned DR Z, Victoria and Carr amps.
    Eventually I came back to a more blackface tone and had amps like the Tone King Galaxy, Tone King Metropolitan (kind of its own thing) as well as a Carr Impala a 65 blackface bassman and now I've settled on an Allen Accomplice and Allen Old Flame both of which are blackface inspired with a bit more versatility.
    Right now I'm comfortable with a Tele and one of the Allens I own. You may need more versatility than that.
    You just have to find out what you like.
    Just a little plug for Allen amps. I've played some very expensive, coveted amps. But these Allens really fit everything I need. I love the RAW knob for getting that bit of versatility. The amps are not that expensive compared to Carr, Tone King, Matchless, Clark but in my almost 40 years of playing these are my favorite

telemnemonics and savofenno like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.