Installing TVJ Classics/Filtertrons in La Cab build...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by DavidP, May 14, 2010.

1. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Yep, another build question as the project comes together (Marc R is routing the one piece sugar pine body as I type this, got all other parts except the neck ordered/assembled)! Just got a pair of used TVJ Classics -- I'll have to snip off the brass "ears" to screw mount flush into the body, but a couple of initial mounting questions as I anticipate the arrival of the body:
    1) gosh, those pole pieces sure stick out of the bottom (nearly 3/8"), is there a clearance issue with these, and what kind/thickness of foam do folks use?
    2) what kind/length of screws to use to mount into the cavity?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

On my contest guitar, I just routed deep and set the pickup into the body. I had 2 screws in my parts box that were longer than the pickup that may have been from a p90 or p bass pickups. I didn't make it adjustable, but I guess with some foam underneath and longer screws it would be. Check out Allparts selection of screws.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I recommend a set of Wiss "M3" sized metal shears to cut off those ears; clean up the cut with a file. It is just .050 brass, so no worry about the debris migrating to the pickup magnets.

I was thinking about using a block of closed cell foam with slits cut that correspond to the rows of pole pieces. "Weave" the block onto the bottom of the pickup and keep it with the pickup - not on the floor of the rout. Mebbe secondary sheets of foam laid on the rout floor for adjusting height and firmness.

Any consensus on pickup mount screw length? 1.38 inches? More? Less? I'm looking at those Allparts screws I guess.

Can anyone tell me what these ears were for? Did the pickup ears rest on the Gretsch body? With foam underneath onto the body? I'm drawing a blank.

4. cmatthes

cmatthes Tele-Meister

The "ears" are just used for different positions or whether there was wood underneath the pickup or not, IIRC.

TV Jones is the only place that I've found that sells the correct screws, and they are pretty cheap. Very nice customer service and laser fast shipping too.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I think this is what I used. Ideally you probably want a pan head screw but this wasn't horrible looking.

GS-0011-010 - Bass Pickup Screws

6. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

I think TV Jones sells shims for the pickups. Also I just made wood shims for mine with the proper holes drilled so I just use that to adjust the height... and the pole pieces to tweak the response a bit. I used P-Bass screws to mount mine and it seemed to work just fine.

7. Marc Rutters

Marc Rutters Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

This is a set of TVs in your body David.

(Just in case No this is not a fretless La Burrito)

[​IMG]

If the set you have has the poles sticking out 3/8" you can put the pickup in place and push down to get an imprint of the poles and then drill just those points deeper with a 3/16" drill, this will leave the bottom of the pocket still at the correct depth. The mounting screws that come with are #3 slotted oval head 1 3/16" long and the bridge pickup is 13/16" tall leaving only 3/8" max threads to mount so with any shims that's not much. I've allowed 1/8"+- space leaving 1/4" thread into the body. Pine is to soft to hold at 1/4" so if the holes are pre drilled then a couple drops of CA glue are added this will strengthen the hole and be fine (allow the glue to dry before the screw is put in unless you want it permanent). The strip of foam comes in the pickup box for packing and looks like it doubles as a shim.

[​IMG]

8. Marc Rutters

I just got off the phone with the TV Jones rep and have to correct something, the packing foam is just for packing. The foam to use for spacing is the same neoprene foam used for mouse pads.

I need a new mouse pad anyway so guess where this experienced one is going.

9. garymaddox

garymaddox Tele-Afflicted

You want to try and find a fat mousepad. They don't make those anymore. Also, trim it pretty small or it may have too much upward pressure to work. Ideally, trim off pieces less than half and inch wide and the height of your route. Run the screw through the rubber to hold it in place. If all else fails, you can check with a scuba shop and see if they have any scraps from wet suits. It's not unusual to trim some off the bottoms of the legs or arms.

TV Jones makes pups without the ears or the long screws. DavidP, you might try and swap your pups out if you can.

10. Marc Rutters

My son has a few blown out wet suits so now I'm good for a while.

Thanks for the tip Gary!

11. TheWiredTurtle

TheWiredTurtle TDPRI Member

If your mouse pad is too thin, a couple squirts of gorilla Gel super glue (home depot, but it rules for crap you can grab down the street) between the layers gets you the shim
    thickness needed.
    There is a natural compression that will take place with this neoprene so I always make sure that when I stack the shim in the pickup cavity for this filtertron classics, I have it rising past the edge 3/8". As well these mount screws are so thin, I will first drive them into the pilot hole a 1/4" and then back em out so I can put a drop of thin superglue into the holes to dry for 10 minutes. It "fortifies" the wood to not strip out
    with the pressure of the neoprene shims. Obviously not need for harder woods..
    Its a major issue with gretsch installs and I see it needed with the pine and alder.
    ..just an FYI, I've installed tvjones in way too many guitars.. Well not way too many, I want to do it. :) I just dont like forum hyperbole like "I've fixed hundreds of guitars" or "I've played every tele out there".
    :) :)
    ..way too many. heehee

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.