Installing tele bridge on strat

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by KingRazor, Jul 20, 2019.

1. KingRazor

KingRazor Tele-Meister

Ever since I saw a picture of it, like this one:

[​IMG]

I've been intersted in putting a tele bridge on a strat. What I'm wondering is how I should go about it. I currently have a strat that this could be done to, but it currently has a trem, so I'm not sure what would need to be done to be able to run the strings through the body with a tele bridge.

One other option would be to get a hardtail strat body without a bridge route and have the routing for the tele bridge done by a luthier.

Another option is to just give up on the aesthetic of the strat pickguard and either go with a rear-routed guitar that already has a tele bridge route (ala warmoth) or get one of those strat-shaped telecaster guitars and have a middle pickup added.

I think the last option is going to involve the least amount of work, but it's not going to look the part. And while looks aren't everything, they are somewhat important to me.

So, I wanted to see if anyone has any insight on the first method or knows whether that is even possible/worthwhile and recommends the second method.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

You could always use a dual load bridge and not have to hassle with strings through the body. You may have to plug some holes with toothpicks/glue if the mounting holes of the tele bridge are near the trem holes. Some bridge pickup rout changes could be necessary too, depending on where the pickup ends up. Obviously the pickguard gets routed. You could get a cheap one and cut that up leaving the original intact.

Basically you would measure from the nut edge to the saddle break over point at the scale length. The bridge should be on the centerline of the body. Plenty of threads address this in this forum. 2 are linked below.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=303055445144

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/how-to-calculate-bridge-

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/finding-the-spot-for-the-bridge.116557/placement.650585/#post-7043911

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  3. KingRazor

KingRazor Tele-Meister

Yep, pickguard will definitely need cut. The bridge pickup route in the body is sized for a humbucker, so it might be big enough to avoid needing routed for the tele bridge pickup. I'd have the bridge installed by a professional. Was just wondering if it might be too much work on a body with a trem. I'm not even sure exactly how I'd do string through in that case. Might have to stick with a top load bridge.

4. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

Cool idea as long as the cut out in the pg is better than that picture cause that looks kinda ghetto. Just sayin’.

5. KingRazor

KingRazor Tele-Meister

Agreed, looks a bit messy in that pic.

6. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Or try this...

1A389A3B-6A38-4578-8D27-34949456398B.jpeg

7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Interesting idea! Just my kind of mod, too! :lol:

I've got Teles with Strat bridge pickups (which sound awesome)

[​IMG]

and I think a Strat with a Tele bridge & bridge pickup sounds like a fine idea!

With your existing Strat, you could remove the Strat bridge & tremolo, then fill the entire cavity, to start fresh, BUT MUCH better, start with a hard tail Strat body, then you easily side-step the huge tremolo rout complications.

Fender's Robert Cray Strat is a hard tail, and of course you can buy any number of unfinished hard tail Strat bodies from third-party sellers for relatively little money.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    spellcaster and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

The tele bridge plate extending far into a strat pickguard looks weird to me. I'm happy with 2 pickups, so the partscaster that I bought a couple of years ago, with tele pickguard and controls, is about right for me. I don't think a stock tele pickguard will fit a body that is rounded like a strat, though.

On my side of the atlantic, I'd pick custom options at https://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/colle...roducts/sc-customisable-1?variant=29459795905

9. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Find yourself a Squier '51 and drop a tele bridge onnit ala Nick Curran.
    [​IMG]

zippofan, RodeoTex, Macrogats and 2 others like this.
  11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Just do this. If your not going to use the trem, deck it and remove the arm. No problem or hassles that way. Many people have done this simple mod with success, no need in adding the ashtray, you can even switch out the saddles to the 3 saddle Tele type.

DHart likes this.
  12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Is it the bridge you want for your end result?

Or the pickup that comes with it?

Zepfan likes this.
  13. fordguy_85

fordguy_85 Tele-Meister

34B9103A-0D2D-48A5-A7E5-D5990D9178B6.jpeg Here’s the one I built... 5-way switch and a master tone and blender pot wiring gives a lot of options tonally.

14. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

what about a hipshot tele bridge?

15. KingRazor

KingRazor Tele-Meister

Both.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I just feel the Tele bridge cut into a Strat pg looks all wrong. If thats the look you want, then go for it - the best options have been outlined. The best looking set up is Nick Curran’s guitar as posted by bender66. I really like that!

But if it’s just a matter of a Tele bridge pup, then I’d just set up for that with a normal hard tail or Tele half bridge.

17. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I think this approach makes the most sense and retains the classic Strat pick guard. Some routing of the body would be required, and starting with a hardtail would be THE way to go!

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You would just need to get the tape measure, drill and router out. Pretty easy mod to do.
    Take a few measurements of your vintage bridge tele and duplicate on a strat body.

19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I wonder if you could drill the tele bridge with three holes to bolt on the trem block. Then it would kinda be "string through". Also wonder if it may sustain like heck!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  20. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

Lowell George installed a Tele bridge pickup in his strat, but he kept the regular strat bridge.

Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.