installing stainless steel frets

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by funkymann1, Jun 12, 2016.

1. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

I have done about 3 dozen necks with nickel & want to give stainless steel a shot

I have been told you level them the same as nickel, I bought a cutter to do the ends as I know the stew mac one won’t work, was wondering if anyone has installed steel frets

I usually clamp a board over the frets after I glue them for an hour so they don’t pop up, next day I start by snipping the ends & using my fret leveler to do the sides & get them flush with the wood, then I use my end file to get any sharp ends down, then I start my level, I usually check for high spots & file them down alone with a square narrow flat file I have,, then I level with the stew mac 8 inch leveler beam & 220 backing paper, then I work 400-2000 paper with a chalk board eraser & finish with 0000 steel wool

is there is anything else I need to know, wondering if starting with 220 will not be enough…

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

just worn them as you would any other fret wire.... the Stainless Steel Alloy they are made of is much softer than the stainless most think of...

Ron Kirn

3. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

I install them the same why I do nickel wire. As far as cutting the wire, I use a set of Snap-On flush cutters. I have been using them for about 5 years with no noticeable wear.

CFFF likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.