Installing Rutters Saddles Correctly?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Double Stop, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

I’m about to install my Rutters compensated 3-barrel brass saddles, but seeking verification on the correct placement of each individual saddle.

Check out the photo where I labeled each individual barrel with the corresponding strings they go under on the bridge. I’m pretty sure that this is the correct placement, but when I look at the string slots cut into each barrel, the slant pattern going from left to right across all three saddles doesn’t look right.

However, when I look closely at each string slot there is a small raised edge within the slot where the string would initially make contact after it comes through the body (Zoom in closely on the attached pic), and when looking at these respective raised edges within each of the string slots, the slant pattern going from left to right indeed looks correct.

So if I’m using those raised edges within each of the string slots on the barrels as my guide, I achieve the desired pattern outlined below for each string in relation to its proximity to the nut:

Low E & A Barrel
    Low E string = further
    A string = closer

D & G Barrel
    D string = closer
    G string = further

B & High E Barrel
    B string = further
    High E string = closer

Additionally, these came packaged already “set” in this particular order on the cardboard that held each saddle in place, and the length of the outer screws on the barrels on the left and right are shorter (check pic) which is further indicative of how they should be placed.

Confirm? Thanks!

766721B8-3C95-4C0E-B2E1-2160301474AD.jpeg EE5836C5-5932-4A5C-BB5E-E8E73048CAD3.jpeg 5E89B75C-82F5-4873-9343-56D1AA948D58.jpeg

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Looking at my own guitar's setup, I believe you have all of these exactly backwards. Here's a 6-saddle bridge for reference so you can easily see which ones are longer and shorter:

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 7.46.05 AM.png

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes, install them as they are packaged on the cardboard. Rutters used to mark the bottom of the saddle with a marker indicating string as well. Dunno if that's still the case.

Double Stop likes this.
  4. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Sounds to me like you’ve got it right. The two which are the same go on the outsides: the different one is for the D/G in the middle. (Looks like the offset on the B/E pair is Less than for the E/A, which is fair enough... but the forward / backwardness should go the same way.)
    81719964-043F-455B-B7B4-40AD93981328.jpeg
    (Compensated saddles with a different style that makes it easier to see for reference.)

Double Stop and nojazzhere like this.
  5. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Have you flipped them over and looked at the bottom of the saddles?

Every set of Rutters saddles I have bought has come with the string orientation written on the bottom of the saddles...

AD5CD2B6-9399-4C2A-92BE-9BA52ACA3A6A.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Telecastoff1 and BorderRadio like this.
  6. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

Yeah, so if you look at the picture I posted with the string positions written above each saddle, this is exactly the same pattern my Rutters saddles will form going from left to right, just like your 6-Saddle bridge.

The key is to look at the small ridge that is within each of the big grooves of the compensated Rutters saddles, and not use the big grooves themselves as the indicator of the “forward” and “back” positions. This is what was confusing to me at first as well, until I noticed these small ridges.

AAT65 likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

AAT65 has the easy solution.....the two saddles that are identical go on "outsides".....the odd man out goes in the middle.

AAT65 and BorderRadio like this.
  8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Interchange 2 & 1

Think of an "N" pattern.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Ah - I also didn't notice those until you said that :D

10. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. As it turned out, the saddle alignment in my pictures at the beginning of this thread was indeed correct after all.

I contacted Marc Rutter with the same photos and he verified it was correct.

Have a good one!

11. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I have these on my CV60's Squier Tele and absolutely love these things. I've had 'em on for about 5 years or so.

Double Stop likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.