Installing locking tuners on a Baja?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Marln864, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Marln864

Marln864 TDPRI Member

I want to install Fender locking tuners on my Baja. Can anyone tell me what size drill bit I need to use to make them fit. The current hole is too small.

2. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

I think that it is 10mm. I ordered a Musikraft neck for Fender locking F tuners and the menu says that the holes are 10mm. I also have the same tuners on another guitar but have forgotten what size holes it has. Must be 10mm?

3. Marln864

Marln864 TDPRI Member

Thank you!

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I am sitting here an just cringing at the thought of taking a drill bit to my Baja.

Cringing I tell ya, cringing!

Tim S, DrPepper, Ebidis and 6 others like this.
  5. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yeah, I think a lot of us with the traditional style tuners in our Tele's are thinking "Why?" But, hey, it's your guitar and lots of folks like locking tuners, so go for it.

Personally, I'd buy the tuners, and just measure them, to be sure. And, I hope you have a good drill press and some sharp bits if you're going this route. Using power tools to make an existing hole in wood bigger can go wrong pretty quickly. (Edit: I suggest you take a scrap piece of wood and experiment with your process first, unless you do this all the time, of course!)

Would like to see pics of the completed job - that would probably help the more timid/traditional/crusty among us feel better, at least :).

6. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

The Fender "F" logo locking tuners are awesome. No more tuning issues because there is no need to wrap strings around the post anymore. Pull tight through hole, lock, tune, snip remainder, done.

7. Marln864

Marln864 TDPRI Member

Going to use the vintage ones for now. l had trouble getting the bushings out.

Owenmoney likes this.
  8. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Locking tuners on a Baja would be fine. I can't wrap my head around taking a drill to my guitar's headstock. Wobbly holes, having the bottom side split, or just trashing the neck.

Sure, there are a number of people who could do this successfully; I'm not sure I could. The though of doing it wrong... CRINGE!

Piggy Stu likes this.
  9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you're dead set on getting locking tuners, Gotoh has a locking set that fits the vintage Kluson mounting. They are "self-locking" - these have been around for a while; Fender has used these on some models - I think the Classic Player '50s Strat had them, and I know they used them on the last version of the Hot Rod Vintage series that was made from late 2013 until late 2014. They have a "post inside the post" that locks the string in (you pull the string through, hold it tight and crank the button with a string winder until it "catches" the string and locks it):

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...cking_Vintage_Oval_Knob_6-In-Line_Tuners.html

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    DanDII and sjruvolo like this.
  10. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Alternatively, if you can find them, Gotoh make the SD91MG-T, a vintage style locking tuner with rear thumb wheel. They are a straight swap for the stock Ping Vintage.
    Gotoh_SD91MG_T.jpg

DanDII and sjruvolo like this.
  11. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I have lots of guitars with non-locking Kluson style vintage tuners but I've never had tuning issues because of poor string wrapping. Let's face it, retsringing a guitar properly isn't exactly rocket surgery. :rolleyes:

AndrewG, TeleTown and ecosse like this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not saying locking tuners on a non trem guitar are bad, but I'm not sure why anyone would choose to mod a quality non trem guitar to add them.
    I have one Tele with locking tuners and it does not tune, or stay in tune any better than my other Teles with the split post Gotoh Kluson style tuners.
    IF the strings are wrapped properly, stretched properly, and the bridge has no issues.

More importantly I have enlarged tuner holes in a lot of guitars to install new tuners when exact fit was not available (as well as fixed guitars for players who tried this with very poor results), and it is surprisingly easy to tear out the face of the headstock, split the headstock, or blow out the back of the headstock.
    I have also done "unmods" on vintage guitars that got drilled out for Schallers and Grovers, which invariably got buggered up and lost value.
    Then there are the guitars that first got drilled out for Schallers, then got filled and re-drilled to go back to stock, then the repair that was not very good (a thin ring of wood around the inside of the hole) started to fall out and needed to be drilled and filled and drilled again.
    Lots of money to be made fixing poor repairs.
    Fortunately there are now oversize ferrules for repair of the many buggered guitars, some of which are actually bigger than the flange on the original tuner bushings for cases where players took a hand drill to the headstock and it got out of hand.

Modders beware!
    Many upgrades are really downgrades in disguise!

Owenmoney, lasrup and DHart like this.
  13. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

I have more than one guitar as well. String changes are easy just not as easy as locking tuners. I can take the strings off do work on the neck, lock them back in with no issues. Try that with wrapped strings, not so fun and probably not good for the string.

All I'm saying is the OP suggested locking tuners and I agree, everything should have them in my opinion. Just makes life easy.

14. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks - I thought Gotoh had that style as well. I was looking for those when I posted earlier but couldn't find them; just the self-locking/Magnum style. I did find some that are replacements for the F-style (late 60s and 70s style) tuners that had the thumbwheel under the Kluson Revolution name, but they didn't have the vintage-style version.

15. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

For me, locking tuners aren't about staying in tune better, but about convenience of restringing and also working on a guitar with loosened strings. Win-win!

sjruvolo likes this.
  16. schmintan

schmintan Tele-Meister

less winds around the peg gives better tuning stability, even above a correctly strung and wound normal peg. With a locking tuner you can get away with one or even less winds, if you have no plans to downtune.

Even if its a fixed bridge, bends and heavy strumming will cause tuning issues as the winds tighten up against eachother. It gets less as the strings get worn in but for new strings, its an issue.

17. KevinB

It's a piece of cake. With about 3 winds (on wound strings and a few more on plain ones) on a split post tuner you can slacken the string and just lift it off the post. Putting it back on with the string end down into the post is just as easy.

Locking tuners just add weight and complexity. They're a solution for a problem that doesn't exist with a Tele.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    Tim S, Owenmoney, DHart and 3 others like this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well when I included "stretched properly" I meant stretched during restringing so they don't keep stretching. This is a standard procedure that is IMO essential, though probably lots of players don't do it, or don't do it properly.
    Once properly stretched, they don't keep stretching. Takes 5-10 seconds per string.

Like Kevin B said, with the slotted posts you pull off and slip back on easily.
    The non slotted non locking tuners I agree are worth taking off, those things totally suck and should be outlawed.
    And if you're ordering or putting together a new build it's none of my business really what tuners you choose.

But if a player with no machine shop tools or skills asks for advice modding their Baja for locking tuners, I'd kind of be a jerk to say: Sure get a 10mm bit and drill out your headstock, it'll improve your guitar".

BorderRadio and KevinB like this.
  19. Marln864

Marln864 TDPRI Member

I'm keeping the original tuners. I like locking tuners. These are just as easy to use. Thanks for all your answers.

BorderRadio likes this.
  20. KevinB

I agree.

If I needed to enlarge a headstock tuner hole I'd probably use a hand operated reamer. If I didn't have a reamer and wanted to do it with a drill then I'd use a step bit with my drill press. The last thing I'd want to do is take a hand drill with a larger bit to it. I'm sure it could be done but the chances of messing up the headstock are pretty high.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.